To apply for this job please visit static1.squarespace.com.
Starting Salary: £45,000 Per Annum + equity stake + future opportunities
Location: Matter HQ. Unit 5, Avon Trading Estate, St Philips, Bristol, BS2 0XA
Reports To: Founder, Adam Root
About the company
Matter is a Microplastics technology company focused on sustainable design and the circular economy. It was founded with the ambition to change the world and to create a team of people with the skills and abilities to deliver that change. We are working on some of the biggest challenges of our time, removing micro-plastics from the UK’s waterways creating a circular economy from the tons of plastic heading towards our Ocean.
We are looking for a hands-on CFO with the ability to lead operational, tactical, and strategic finance. Someone who is unphased by the impossible ─ as this is often our benchmark. You will need a level head, great ability to adapt and change between projects and tasks with the limited resource available to you. As a director you are expected to lead from the front, having a work ethic where you wouldn’t ask anyone else to do something you’re not willing to do yourself. You are expected to take the bins out and pitch for millions of pounds to investors. This is the role of a CFO in a start-up.
You will be directly reporting to Adam Root, the founder of Matter. Your role is to deliver impact.
You will be measured against key deliverables, accuracy, investor relations and our environmental impact. You will be the connection between our incredible technology and ensuring viable and sustainable strategies to delivering it to the homes of millions of people.
You are required to be the voice of reason in every project across the business. The work is intense and high paced, but definitely rewarding. You will have opportunities to represent a global change to the way businesses think about environmental challenges. You are always expected to be a leader of sustainability and an advocate for planet earth at home and at work. As a member of the Matter csuite you will always be representing the company (including personal social media channels).
Your job is to provide insight, both internally and externally, to ensure Matter remains a going concern. As a start-up there is a lot of “what if” and scenario planning which, when a strategy is chosen, requires implementation of financial process and controls to enable smooth delivery.
Outputs must be considered in every conversation and the definition of “success” challenged.
Reporting a triple-bottom-line (people, planet and profit) will be crucial to monitoring the performance of the company. We do not expect this role to focus purely on the financial: considering all factors and be instrumental to decisions. We expect you to challenge decisions asking the hard questions and understand when not to challenge decisions. This is about putting mission forefront. You must be the balance between delivery and resistance.
We expect you to act in an environmentally conscious way, with a passion to do more. Not only reduce environmental impact but be a role model for positive change.
Your role will include but not be limited to the following:
• Develop and lead the Finance strategy to ensure that Matter becomes a profitable and influential company exceeding its targets and objectives.
• Sole responsibility for Budgeting/Forecasting, including:
o Short-term direct cashflow
o 5yr P&L, BS, indirect cashflow
o Project NPV
• Maintaining financial systems and advising on best practice to ensure accurate and timely information (including a specific project to migrate onto a suitable accounting package)
• Build and develop a team, leading the continuous nurturing, training and personal development to ensure a happy, vibrant and dynamic working environment.
• Specific reporting and analysis, including:
o KPI/OKR tracking and reporting
o Investor relations including quarterly investor packs
o Monthly management packs with variance analysis
o SWOT analysis
o Financial planning and project appraisal
o Risk management
o Balance sheet reconciliations
• Bookkeeping, payroll and VAT supervision
• The ability and desire to travel to meetings nationally and internationally when required.
• Supporting the general running of the business ranging from HR to health and safety.
• You are the Engine Room on the ship. Responsible with the leadership team for the monitoring and management of key insights to ensure the ship stays afloat.
• It is common for us to re-write the rule book. This is a new category and new opportunity.
• Matter makes leaders not managers. Your role is to make sure every member of the team has the skills and knowledge to be a disruptor for good, even if they were to leave the company, and make sure they love their job enough to stay.
• A proven record of working at CFO level, particularly in a start-up and/or pre-revenue environment
• ACA/CIMA/ACCA qualified, with MBA preferred
• Ability to work with various departments and personnel
• Ability to create standards and company policies
• Ability to communicate insights visually
• A high competency in presenting and thought leadership
• A sound commercial background
• Demonstrated exposure to high risk, high value problems with proof of delivery on complex and challenging solutions.
• High competency in IT literacy ─ using programs such as the Windows suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook) and Google suite
• Native level speaker and high written competency in English
• Equity Share in the business
• Flexible working environment, based at Matter HQ with remote working possible
• 26 days holiday plus eight statutory bank holidays (pro rata)
• +1 day to take on your birthday
• Pension scheme
• On-site parking for bicycles and cars
• Must be able to sit for extended periods of time
• Must be able to stand for extended periods of time
• Ability to look at a computer screen for extended periods of time
• Ability to maintain a composed and professional demeanour within a flexible and (at times noisy) work environment
• Must be able to travel internationally and domestically utilising various transportation methods
Equal Employment Opportunity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without discrimination on the basis of race, colour, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability, or any other factors prohibited by law.
Before applying please read this.
This role is a vital part of the successful development and growth of Matter. We are a young company, growing rapidly, and we are a tight-knit team so working together (literally and metaphorically) is essential.
Our HQ is a large facility that is set up for being able to work safely, and we have a comprehensive and dynamic working plan for Coronavirus, to keep our team safe and to mitigate for the inevitable disruptions.
Whilst we do work remotely when required, the nature of this role and our stage of development as a company, means that this cannot be a fully remote-working position.
To that end, you will need to live within realistic commuting distance of our HQ in central Bristol or be willing and able to relocate immediately.