Help us make a big green dent in the universe
We’re on a mission to drive the global renewable energy revolution, and we need loads more people to help us make our vision a reality.
The data team at Octopus delivers analytics, insight, automation, machine learning, statistical modelling and data tools to teams across the whole business using our data platform. We’re looking for an analytics engineer to join the team to focus on smart metering and customer operations.
As an analytics engineer you’ll work at the intersection of data science and data engineering where you’ll be responsible for building and maintaining the data tools for our smart metering and customer operations teams. You’ll work on a wide range of problems, from analysing our smart meter installation field force to looking at the performance of our customer operations teams. Through this role, you’ll gain experience across the whole data lifecycle and work on a suite of modern data technologies.
This is a fantastic opportunity to work on problems that genuinely move us closer to Net Zero with a company that is passionate about building great technology and products that change the way customers use energy.
Our data stack
- Postgres source databases
- AWS cloud infrastructure
- Databricks Delta Lake for data lake and warehouse storage and querying
- Spark for large data processing
- dbt for data modelling and transformations
- Python data ecosystem as main scripting and analytics language
- Jupyter and Jupyter Hub for notebook analytics and collaboration
- Airflow for task scheduling
- Kubernetes for orchestration
- Github, Circle CI, Grafana and Prometheus for version control, deployment and monitoring
- Tableau and Streamlet as data front ends
What you’ll do
- Work with the smart metering and operations teams to identify data requirements and opportunities
- Contribute to our dbt data model, building new data sources and maintaining existing ones
- Build and deploy new data pipelines to our Airflow scheduler
- Build and maintain Tableau dashboards and Streamlet data apps
- Perform analyses in Jupyter notebooks
- Plan and execute experiments for assessing new features, products or campaigns
- Provide support and training to the wider business to help them get the best use of the data platform
- Be an active contributor to the data platform
What you’ll have
- Experience working with relational databases and warehouses.
- Strong SQL knowledge, capable of writing well structured, performant SQL queries
- Experience with dbt would be a bonus (but not a prerequisite)
- Experience with Python and the Python data and statistics ecosystem
- Experience working collaboratively on data science code bases
- Passionate about understanding and improving the experience for our customers and operations teams
- Curious and self driven – when faced with a new problem is capable of seeking out an answer without lots of help and support
- Highly data literate and numerate – can make sense of lots of data and shape it into a coherent story
- Helpful and empathetic – we’re looking for a candidate who is effective at listening to user needs and coming up with solutions that meet them
- Adaptable – we want someone who can apply their skills to a wide array of data problems and isn’t afraid of getting their hands dirty
- Passionate about working in energy and contributing to the energy transition
- Passionate about building robust and useable data tools and products
What you’ll love about us
- Our company culture – we won best company to work for in 2019 and our CEO, Greg has recorded a podcast about our culture and how we empower our people
- Flexible working environment – genuine work life balance here, we are in the top 5 companies in the UK, we treat you as a human, and do our best to make work and life merge smoothly together
- Relaxation – we don’t count your holidays here, we work hard, and so we know you need to play hard as well (within reason of course)
- Equity Options Scheme – you own your own part of the business, share options in the whole Octopus Energy Group so we all work together towards success
- Office culture – have a certain tech requirement? We’ll do our best to get it. Our offices are also stocked with fruit, breakfast, great coffee and soft drinks. Weekly on a Friday we all get together (this happens virtually too) for company updates and drinks – we call it Family Dinner
- Social Events – we sponsor YeoValley’s summer festival, valleyfest, every year for our big offsite Summer party (we take our kids too) and we also aim to have 3 parties a year
- Parents – get access to tax free childcare and maternity and paternity pay. We’re always looking for new ways to support parents, during lockdown we created OctoKids TV to help keep your kids occupied and entertained
- Your development is important – we support and help with development including internal and external courses, learning, study support etc, all bespoke to you
- SmartPension Scheme – employer 5% employee 3% and you can contribute more
- Cycle to Work Scheme – to help lower your carbon footprint whilst good for your health
If this opportunity sounds like you and you have a genuine passion for what we’re doing at Octopus Energy then we’d love to hear from you.
More about us
We believe energy should be better – for you and the environment.
We’re a leading energy technology company providing a better experience for our customers through transparency, honesty and simplicity. Better for the planet, through real long-term investment in renewable generation and a low CO2 future. Better value, by throwing away the old business models of the “Big 6” and instead building a business that’s fit for the 21st century. We make energy green and flexible for consumers, with fair and transparent pricing. Through our home developed platform, Kraken Technology, cloud-based billing, and sophisticated use of data science, modelling and AI, we’re redefining what is possible in energy.
Our breakthrough Agile tariff has been widely reported as leading the way in energy innovation, and we’re passionate about fairness – we were first to uncover the widespread strategy of energy company tease and squeeze pricing and following on from this campaign, our CEO and Founder Greg Jackson presented evidence in favour of capping energy tariff prices before the bill committee in Parliament.
We already supply 100% renewable energy to 2 million+ homes and over 20,000 businesses (including Arsenal FC and the Cardiff Blues to help them power their stadiums with 100% renewable energy) throughout Great Britain and we’re also the supplier behind M&S Energy. We’re award winning for our disruptive technology and are delighted to be the only energy supplier to pass the rigorous Which? customer service tests and be their only recommended energy supplier for 4 years in a row.
We also proudly enjoy a 5-star TrustPilot ranking from our customers. We were named the Company that’s done the most in the past year to advance UK renewables at the REA Awards 2019, and most recently, our proudest award, that of Best Company to Work For. Our group includes Octopus Energy, Octopus for Business, Kraken Technology, Octopus Electric Vehicles and Octopus Energy Services as well as our new net zero Centre – Octopus Centre for Net Zero.
We recently secured over £500 million of investment from Origin, Australia’s largest Energy Company andTokyo Gas, to help us continue on our mission.
At Octopus, we’re looking for genuinely decent people who are honest and empathetic. Our commitment is to provide equal opportunities, a diverse and inclusive work environment, and fairness for everyone. You are welcome to apply no matter your race, gender identity, sexuality, age, family or civil status, disability, religion, or ethnicity.