To apply for this job please visit theclimategroup.peoplehr.net.
The Climate Group are currently offering a new opportunity as an Assistant Accountant to join our UK office in London. As an Assistant Accountant, you will play a very important role in assisting the Senior Finance Manager in the timely preparation and reporting of monthly management accounts and ensuring the Climate Group finance policies are adhered to. You will be responsible for a variety of tasks therefore having great organisational skills, an excellent eye for detail, good interpersonal skills and the ability to work under pressure is all paramount to this role. The role is an immediate start.
About The Climate Group
The Climate Group drives climate action. Fast. Our goal is a world of net zero carbon emissions by 2050, with greater prosperity for all.
We focus on systems with the highest emissions and where our networks have the greatest opportunity to drive change. We do this by building large and influential networks and holding organisations accountable, turning their commitments into action.
We share what we achieve together to show more organisations what they could do. We are an international non-profit organisation, founded in 2004, with offices in London, New Delhi and New York. We are proud to be part of the We Mean Business coalition.
About the role
The role will be part of the Operations team, reporting to the Senior Finance Manager based in the UK. The position will have a key role in providing accurate financial reporting and accounting support.
Key responsibilities: As an entrepreneurial Charity the ideal person will need to be willing to adopt a flexible approach to the role responsibilities, which will include but will not be limited to the following:
Accounts Receivables Ledger / Income Analysis
- Sales invoicing
- Assist with the review and management of customer debt and cash allocation
- Maintain the sales income analysis schedule
- Revenue recognition
- Credit control
- Assist in the preparation of monthly management accounts
- Maintaining up to date balance sheet reconciliations for key accounts, ensuring timely resolution of reconciling items
- Cash book postings and bank reconciliations
- Calculate accruals and prepayments, preparing schedules and collating supporting documentation to help validate balances for external auditors
- Identify variances between actuals, budgets and forecasts – providing supporting evidence to enable the variances to be investigated and provide insightful explanations and commentaries
- Support the Senior Finance Manager with the annual statutory audit, taking responsibility for providing information and answering auditors’ queries for agreed areas
- Calculate and post salary allocation to projects
- Assist in the preparation of quarterly VAT returns and reconciliations
- Preparation of reporting to funders
- Build strong relationships with other teams and be a trusted point of contact for areas of responsibility including responding to ad-hoc queries and information requests
- Assist in the ongoing review of finance processes and procedures and ensuring policies are adhered to.
- Assist in the development and continuous improvement of management reporting
- Other ad hoc duties as required
Dedicated to and supports the Climate Group’s values, objectives and purpose.
- A part qualified accountant
- The ability to manage time, prioritise tasks and work towards tight deadlines
- Strong communication skills, both verbal and written
- A proven strength in building great relationships and working with a broad range of finance/non finance individuals at all levels
- A good understanding of general accounting functions, i.e. accruals, prepayments, accounts receivables & payables and month end process etc.
- Advanced Excel knowledge
- Experience of Charity Grant Accounting/Charity SORP (FRS102)
- Experience working with US/EU/Indian/China organisations and respective taxes and regulations
- Indirect Tax knowledge, including VAT/GST and impacts for a Charity
- Working in a multi-currency accounting environment
You will be based in our London head office. At present all staff are being supported to work from home in the current global environment and we vacated our existing London office in May 2020 and are currently seeking to find a new office in Zone 1. This role is ultimately an office-based role once working conditions return to a new normal, although some working from home may continue in line with the organisation’s flexible working policy. Infrequent national/international travel may be required.
Terms & Conditions
This is a full-time fixed term contract for 9 months with potential to extend or become permanent. The salary for this position will be £29,000 to £32,000 per annum based on experience. In addition to the salary, the role holder will benefit from:
- 25 days’ holiday pro rata, plus public holidays; additional leave following three and six years’ service
- 10% non-contributory pension scheme following three months’ service
- Private healthcare and Cash Plan on completion of probation
- Life Assurance
- Wellbeing allowance
- Season ticket loan
- Bike loan
- Volunteering day on completion of probation