To apply for this job please visit carbontracker.org.
Location London Bridge, UK
Reporting to Barbara Davidson, Senior Analyst
Start date As soon as possible
Carbon Tracker Initiative is an independent financial think tank that carries out in-depth analysis on the impact of the energy transition on capital markets and the potential investment in high-cost, carbon-intensive fossil fuels. We believe that financial markets, regulators, investors and policymakers all have an urgent role to play in guiding the world to a climate-secure energy system. Carbon Tracker’s analysis of ‘unburnable carbon’, ‘stranded assets’, and ‘wasted capital’ has reframed the debate around climate change risk.
The Regulatory and Accounting team builds upon Carbon Tracker’s research on financial risk by identifying the ways by which regulators can ensure that companies are providing transparency around those risks to the market. The team’s focus, more specifically, is on ensuring sufficient transparency so that markets can price those risks into their valuations. This includes engaging principally with accounting standards setters, capital markets regulators and those who can influence their decision-making.
- Help produce analyses of Climate Action 100+ company accounts
- Engage with relevant organisations on accounting, auditing and wider corporate reporting issues relating to climate-related risks within the extractives sector.
- Participate in drafting the Carbon Tracker response to relevant consultations by any of the above organisations.
- Review company financial statements and undertake research working with the Senior Analyst and wider Regulatory and Accounting team and collaborate with other Carbon Tracker teams.
- Keep up to date on relevant developments in accounting, auditing and wider corporate reporting, including new reporting requirements, guidance and best practice.
- Where needed, write reports on topics such as: reserve and resource reporting, decommissioning provisions, accounting standards, auditing practices etc
- Work with the Investor Outreach team to engage research analysts involved in the work
- Speak with confidence at conferences and events to present the work.
- Degree in accounting or upcoming graduate, or alternatively, 2-3 years’ experience with ACCA/ACA or equivalent certification
- Experience of presenting own work
- Adept at sourcing and researching credible and relevant data and information
- Experience in working in a deadline driven environment
- Highly motivated, a fast learner wanting to grow the role and increase responsibilities
- Methodical and organised with a high attention to detail
- Ability to write clearly and convey accounting concepts to non-specialist audiences
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, able to translate complexity clearly and concisely
- Team player, high integrity, diligent
- Passion for the mission
- Salary range £35,000 – £40,000 based on experience, plus 7% pension contribution, 25 days holiday plus bank holidays with one extra day granted for service, capped at 5, opt-in cycle to work scheme, employee assistance programme, discretionary bonus (funding and company performance dependent).
- Please email your CV along with a covering letter explaining how you would fit into the team to firstname.lastname@example.org and include the reference RE0005 within the email title.
- Applications without a covering letter will not be considered.
- Carbon Tracker can only consider candidates who are eligible to work in the UK.
- We strive to ensure that opportunities to work and develop at Carbon Tracker are open to all. We welcome applications from all qualified applicants, regardless of age, disability, gender identity or gender expression, race, ethnicity, religion or belief, sex, sexual orientation or any other equality characteristic.
- Carbon Tracker supports flexibility and we welcome career returners.
- The closing date for applications is Sunday 10 October 2021.
- Thank you for your interest in Carbon Tracker and good luck!