To apply for this job please visit finance.earth.
Enabling investment into conservation, climate and communities.
Finance Earth are looking to recruit an Associate Director to help our growing environmental impact investment advisory and transaction teams. The role offers the chance to work with market leading clients on the cutting edge of the emerging conservation investment market in the UK and internationally, and to become a recognised expert in the field. We are also investors in our people, offering the opportunity for both technical and soft skills development, and unique experiences to grow both professionally and personally.
The Associate Director will be expected to work with the FE’s Directors in:
· Actively managing client relationships and, reporting directly to senior team members, taking responsibility for the day to day project management and delivery of Advisory assignments. This will include assuming responsibility for managing all phases of the transaction cycle and deal execution: project and deal development, financial structuring and capital raising, due diligence and managing clients through the process, post-close performance management, and ongoing deal operations.
· Directing and managing junior Finance Earth colleagues, and support staff on strategic advisory and M&A projects, with particular focus on coaching and contributing to the on-the-job development of junior team members.
· Proactively assisting business development efforts including pitching for new work; and building & maintaining client relationships with a wide range of public, social, corporate and financial institutions.
· Oversee and lead product development and refinement, for example: environmental impact bonds, conservation impact bonds, environmental impact investment funds, and social investment funds.
· Cultivate and manage relationships with financial institutions, broker-dealers, and investors; which may include pension funds and other institutional investors, foundations, wealth management platforms, high net worth individuals and family offices, and donor advised funds.
· Partner with the senior leadership team (Founders and Directors) to share oversight duties within firm management, including helping refine strategic direction of firm, appropriate allocation of resources and organisational goal-setting.
· Support Finance Earth’s talent management efforts via recruiting, coaching, goal setting, mentoring, and ongoing performance management.
· Contribute to thought leadership and policy influencing, representing Finance Earth at strategic conferences, events and with Government and decision makers.
· Engage financial institutions, asset owners, investment advisors and other intermediaries to broaden mainstream knowledge of Environmental Impact Investment.
The Associate Director will be integral in our efforts to inspire a movement and will lead a talented team to realise our mission to mobilise capital to drive environmental change. This role represents a unique opportunity to achieve both significant impacts locally for communities in need, and transformative, systemic change for how society looks after the environment at a national level.
Based in our London headquarters, this position is ideal for candidates who want to combine their prior professional investment expertise with creativity, innovation and impact. The Associate Director enters the firm during a period of significant growth and will play a unique role in expanding our reach, accelerating product development and driving innovation. In addition to helping build the firm, this individual will help to streamline deals through standardising workflows and developing staff, refining existing products, developing new structures, expanding our presence in the investment community, and contributing to thought leadership in impact investing.
Skills and Experience
We are looking for an Associate Director with a combination of excellent financial and commercial skills, the ability to develop partnerships with social ventures, corporates and the public sector alike; an articulate and influential advocate with a strong commitment to improving the environmental and social impact being delivered by the environmental NGO sector, across the UK and beyond:
· A strong and demonstrable interest in Natural Capital, Conservation Finance, Environmental and/or Social Impact Investment is essential
· Entrepreneurial – welcoming the challenge of helping to create and develop new projects, products and funds that will be at the forefront of a developing investment market
· Personable team player with the ability to create confidence and trust with colleagues and clients alike
· Self-motivated, ability to work to and meet tight deadlines and to plan and organise work unsupervised in a logical and efficient manner
· Ability to identify critical & relevant data sources, and commitment to high quality standards & a detail-oriented approach
· Ability to operate consistently within business guidelines and ethics and work sensitively in multicultural environments, building effective working relations with clients and colleagues
· Ability to communicate appropriate, concise and accurate information in verbal and written formats, appropriate to the audience at the time and confidence in handling senior stakeholders
· Must have relevant Advisory and/ or M&A experience in an investment bank, big 4, mid-tier accounting firm, top tier consulting firm, or a boutique
· Leadership and negotiation skills – ability to engage with local government and wider public sector commissioners, local communities, third sector organisations and social ventures to help develop the partnerships required to deliver new services, including contractual negotiations where appropriate
· Computer literacy and excellent written/oral communication skills in English are essential
· Prior experience of working within the environmental or social impact investment sector; or wider social sector working with charities and social enterprises
· Transactional experience with a demonstrable track record of project execution across all phases of the transaction cycle from origination to completion, including:
o Preparation of high quality materials and proposals including sector mapping, market analysis and target client positioning
o Drafting of transaction documentation, including: valuation analysis, potential buyer research, information memoranda and management presentations
o Financial modelling including integrated P&L, balance sheet and cash flow models, LBO & DCF analysis
o Managing the due diligence process including co-ordinating all stakeholders and other advisors including, for example, legal and tax
· Strong academic background, and a developed combination of technical and commercial skills is advantageous
· Relevant degree from a leading university in a technical discipline, (e.g., engineering, environment, science)
· In-depth knowledge and experience with green infrastructure, natural capital, sustainable resource initiatives with a very strong awareness and interest in the related issues
· Proven track record in managing teams, consultants and multiple assignments
· Sound understanding of business and finance principles (including notions such as corporate credit analysis)
· Good understanding of policy analysis and policy formulation in the areas of climate change, resource efficiency, land management, biodiversity, technology transfer
· Understanding local government and wider public sector finance frameworks and regulations
We do not expect candidates to possess all of these skills and competencies; importantly, what we are looking for is someone who can creatively show how their skills and experience could be adapted to fit this profile, if/where there are gaps. Typically, we would expect candidates for the Associate Director role to have a minimum of seven years of relevant experience.
Our people are our business; we work hard to ensure that they have fulfilling careers and a good work-life balance. We encourage training to make sure our staff are equipped to do their jobs to the best of their abilities and offer flexible working and generous holidays so that staff can both meet client expectations and personal goals.
As a market leader, the talent and passion of our people is critical to our success. Together, we share a common set of values rooted in integrity, excellence and strong team ethic. Finance Earth can provide a superior experience for building and maintaining a professional career in finance – a place for people to learn, to achieve and grow whilst delivering work that is highly impactful and beneficial for our planet. A philosophy that balances personal lifestyles, perspectives and needs is an important part of our culture.
Opportunity to earn £85,000+
· Base salary of £50,000-65,000 per annum
· Up to 30% of salary discretionary bonus and Christmas bonus of up to £1,000
· 25 days holiday plus 2-3 days free at Christmas (plus English bank holidays)
· Potential for remote or flexible working
· Opportunity to become a shareholder after 12 months with a potential dividend allowance
· Generous training budgets with learning and continuous development as a critical element of the way we work; we will support you with individual development, both through external training and coaching from members of the executive team
How to Apply
If you think that you are the right person for this important role in our business, please apply by sending:
• A comprehensive CV
• A cover letter that includes as a minimum:
o A summary of the relevant experience you will be bringing to this role; and
o A personal statement on why you believe the work being undertaken by Finance Earth is necessary to tackle climate change and biodiversity loss, highlighting areas of specific interest.
Applications that do not include a cover letter will be immediately discounted.
Finance Earth is an equal opportunities employer. We work to provide a supportive and inclusive environment where all individuals can maximise their full potential. Our skilled and creative workforce is comprised of individuals drawn from a broad cross section of the disciplines in which we operate and who reflect a variety of backgrounds, talents, perspectives and experiences. Our strong commitment to a culture of inclusion is evident through our constant focus on recruiting, developing and advancing individuals based on their skills and talents.