Arcola Energy, a Ballard Power Systems company, is one of the fastest growing hydrogen technology companies in the UK, working with some of the most progressive local authorities, fleet operators and OEMs to meet their zero-emission targets. Arcola has more than 10 years of experience in delivering solutions that address the deployment gap between rapidly evolving low-carbon technologies and production-ready solutions.
Position: Reports to: Location:
Automotive Wiring Technician
Senior Electrical Engineer
Dundee, the job holder will support programmes in England and Europe as well as other international opportunities
The core activity of the Automotive Wiring Technician is to support the Electrical Distribution System (EDS) team in assembly, installation, commissioning and test of Low Voltage wiring systems and harnesses and High Voltage (up to 1000V) cables and components for prototype vehicles and systems. The ideal candidate will have hands-on automotive or rail LV/HV power cables and harness manufacturing experience and EDS systems manufacturing experience is desirable.
LV&HV Cable fabrication
- Fabrication of HV and LV Cables for Arcola Energy’s various projects.
- Selecting and using the right tools.
- Obtaining and following manufacturer specification documentation.
Installing and routing cables and harnesses
• Installation of the cables and harnesses on Arcola’s vehicle builds based on the documentation provided
• Harness or cable reworking. The common tasks will include: crimping terminals, taping, stripping cables and wires, splicing, applying cable glands, applying cable/harness protection and any related activities.
Electrical components stock administration
• Responsibility for organisation of Arcola Energy’s Electrical Distribution System components stock
Harness & Cable quality checks
• Perform visual and electrical quality checks on harnesses and cables on their reception from our suppliers
Other hands-on electrical tasks
- Fabrication of other electrical assemblies
- Reverse engineering of legacy harnesses
- Supporting other Arcola Energy activities when required
- Working closely with the EDS Design Team, Controls Team and Mechanical Design team
Health & Safety
• Following all relevant health and safety regulations Knowledge and Skills:
• Knowledge of component selection when building an Automotive or Rail harness or HV/LV Power cable (Desirable)
- Automotive EDS best design practices (Desirable)
- Electrical manufacturing techniques
- Basic electronics theory
- Able to perform manual harness and cable building
- Connector assembly experience
- Reading and understanding harness and circuit drawings
- Familiarity with crimping, stripping, taping, convoluted tubes, reworking, depinning
- Electrical qualification with a minimum NVQ/SVQ or higher or equivalent demonstrable experience
- Desirable: Automotive HV electrical training through IMI or equivalent
What you’ll receive in return:
- Competitive salary, based on experience
- Support towards CEng accreditation and your membership fees paid for IET/MechE
- Flexible work arrangements
- An opportunity to directly impact projects – from concept through to production
- Free tickets to the Arcola Theatre (subject to availability), and Arcola staff discount on food and
drink in café/bar.
Arcola Energy delivers solutions that significantly improve environmental performance compared to
incumbent technologies, contributing to the development of cleaner, greener, more secure, more
democratic energy and transport systems, enabling healthier living for everyone.
We are committed to fostering a diverse work environment and are proud to be an equal opportunity
employer. As we highly value diversity in our current and future team, we do not discriminate on the
basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender or gender expression, sexual orientation, age,
marital status, disability or any other characteristic protected by law.
To apply, email: firstname.lastname@example.org