Octopus Energy is a scale-up electricity and gas supplier in Great Britain, having enjoyed huge success in its first 4 and a half years of existence and now supplies over 1.5 million households and businesses across the UK. Octopus Energy is also part of Octopus Group, the UK’s largest investor in solar farms and the third largest investor in renewable generation overall. The solar farms they’ve funded generate 40% of all the UK’s large scale solar, enough to power over a quarter of a million homes (when the sun shines!). They’ve also invested in wind generation, anaerobic digestion plans and “rapid response” gas generation to help balance supply when there’s no wind and sun.
Within Octopus Energy sits Octopus Energy for Business (OEB), who supply businesses from small independent coffee shops and schools all the way up to the likes of the National Space Centre and the Emirates Stadium. Their innovative approach to business energy has seen the launch of a number of successful products. These include Electric Juice, a dynamic tariff for the UK’s electric charging networks and Panel Power, a product for businesses with solar PV looking to decentralise their energy usage to name but a few.
A role with Octopus is a chance to join an exciting scale-up company within the energy supply sector, and one that is well placed to take advantage of the rapidly changing energy landscape. They enjoy the best of both worlds: backing from a large, well-capitalised business with access to highly experienced and talented individuals, all whilst retaining the dynamic environment and energetic team that characterises start-up ventures.
About the role
We’re looking for someone to join our backend team for Electric Juice – our award winning electric vehicle charging tech that’s making it super-easy to charge EVs across the UK & Europe. Being part of the backend team is a fast paced role: Electric Juice operates like a start-up within Octopus Energy, and will give you the chance to have a huge impact on how the product develops. It’s also broad – working within the product team you’ll help with everything from integrating new chargers and providing services for the mobile app to solving architectural problems and connecting ever more deeply with Kraken’s energy functions.
You’re an engineer that writes high-quality code, is an excellent communicator on complex topics, and can solve problems with a team. Ultimately you’re excited to build excellent tech that has a positive effect on consumers’ lives and an important role to play in the UK’s road to net zero.
What you’ll have
- A strong understanding of the Python ecosystem with 3+ years of experience.
- Experience with Django
- Can discuss vision and features within a team and propose creative solutions
- Can write robust and fault-tolerant software
- Knowledge of (or a desire to learn) GraphQL APIs is a plus
- Proficient understanding of Git
- Familiarity with continuous integration and continuous deployment
What you’ll love about us
- Our company culture – we won best company to work for in 2019 and our CEO, Greg has recorded a podcast about our culture and how we empower our people
- Flexible working environment – genuine work life balance here, we are in the top 5 companies in the UK, we treat you as a human, and do our best to make work and life merge smoothly together
- Relaxation – we don’t count your holidays here, we work hard, and so we know you need to play hard as well (within reason of course)
- Equity Options Scheme – you own your own part of the business, share options in the whole Octopus Energy Group so we all work together towards success
- Office culture – have a certain tech requirement? We’ll do our best to get it. Our offices are also stocked with fruit, breakfast, great coffee and soft drinks. Weekly on a Friday we all get together (this happens virtually too) for company updates and drinks – we call it Family Dinner
- Social Events – we sponsor YeoValley’s summer festival, valleyfest, every year for our big offsite Summer party (we take our kids too) and we also aim to have 3 parties a year
- Parents – get access to tax free childcare and maternity and paternity pay. We’re always looking for new ways to support parents, during lockdown we created OctoKids TV to help keep your kids occupied and entertained
- Your development is important – we support and help with development including internal and external courses, learning, study support etc, all bespoke to you
- SmartPension Scheme – employer 5% employee 3% and you can contribute more
- Cycle to Work Scheme – to help lower your carbon footprint whilst good for your health
If you this sounds like you and you have a genuine passion in the future of sustainability then we’d love to hear from you.
At Octopus, we’re looking for genuinely decent people who are honest and empathetic. Our commitment is to provide equal opportunities, a diverse and inclusive work environment, and fairness for everyone. You are welcome to apply no matter your race, gender identity, sexuality, age, family or civil status, disability, religion, or ethnicity.