Kraken is the technology behind Octopus Energy.
We invented, designed and built Kraken Technologies to ensure that we had the most innovative, data-centric and customer-focused technology to support our top-class customer service. Kraken Technologies now delivers transformational Energy-Tech to businesses around the world to make the global transition to green energy quicker and more affordable.
We’re now licensing Kraken Technologies to businesses globally. You can read about our partnership with E.On HERE as an example to see how Kraken is evolving our business. You can learn more about how the migration works in practice HERE.
Our aim is to have 100 million customers on the Kraken Platform by the year 2030.
Our group includes Octopus Energy, Octopus for Business, Octopus Electric Vehicles and Octopus Energy Services as well as our new net zero Centre – Octopus Centre for Net Zero.
We recently secured over £500 million of investment from Origin, Australia’s largest Energy Company andTokyo Gas, to help us continue our mission. This will help power our growth into new markets, invest in Kraken Technologies, build more tech to make energy greener and increase our investment in service and growth in our existing markets, the UK and Globally.
We have huge ambitions for our sales operations and need the tech to match these ambitions. We have hundreds of sales agents and we want to give them a super smart app that will be used to engage new customers. The app will need a simple and slick interface, giving customers and advisors an experience that is worthy of our brand. For managers, the app should provide a robust back-end with territory management, complaint handling and compliance modules, and real-time reporting – all connected to our market-leading Kraken platform.
The app will include the following features, among many others: Live geo mapping of agents, route mapping using Kraken and geo data, route history by agent, sales CRM (e.g. doors to knock, knocked and call backs), reporting at both agent and team levels, interact with Kraken customer database (e.g. customer complaints/smart meter installs/occupiers/do not call/etc), exceptions reporting (e.g. track invalid emails/duplicate bank detail/sequential numbers/etc).
We’re looking for a backend developer to join the team building this app as we look to add more features and expand to different regions.
What you’ll do
- Partner with the sales team to understand their needs and challenges
- Devise technical solutions to address these needs
- Develop these solutions
- Test the solutions with the sales team
- Work closely with Tech to integrate these development into Kraken and the broader OE tech framework
What you’ll have
- Django (or equiv. web framework)
- Domain modelling
- HTTP and REST APIs
It would be great if you had
- Devops experience
What you’ll love about us
- Our company culture – we won best company to work for in 2019 and our CEO, Greg has recorded a podcast about our culture and how we empower our people
- Flexible working environment – genuine work life balance here, we are in the top 5 companies in the UK, we treat you as a human, and do our best to make work and life merge smoothly together
- Relaxation – we don’t count your holidays here, we work hard, and so we know you need to play hard as well (within reason of course)
- Equity Options Scheme – you own your own part of the business, share options in the whole Octopus Energy Group so we all work together towards success
- Office culture – have a certain tech requirement? We’ll do our best to get it. Our offices are also stocked with fruit, breakfast, great coffee and soft drinks. Weekly on a Friday we all get together (this happens virtually too) for company updates and drinks – we call it Family Dinner
- Social Events – we sponsor YeoValley’s summer festival, valleyfest, every year for our big offsite Summer party (we take our kids too) and we also aim to have 3 parties a year
- Parents – get access to tax free childcare and maternity and paternity pay. We’re always looking for new ways to support parents, during lockdown we created OctoKids TV to help keep your kids occupied and entertained
- Your development is important – we support and help with development including internal and external courses, learning, study support etc, all bespoke to you
- SmartPension Scheme – employer 5% employee 3% and you can contribute more
- Cycle to Work Scheme – to help lower your carbon footprint whilst good for your health
If this sounds like you and you have a genuine passion for what we are doing then we’d love to hear from you.
At Octopus, we’re looking for genuinely decent people who are honest and empathetic. Our commitment is to provide equal opportunities, a diverse and inclusive work environment, and fairness for everyone. You are welcome to apply no matter your race, gender identity, sexuality, age, family or civil status, disability, religion, or ethnicity.