We are re-engineering the laundry process from the ground up; our aim is for clinically-clean, net-zero carbon emissions for the whole process, from the collection through washing and back to delivery. This has never been accomplished and we are determined to be the first truly sustainable and hygienic on-demand laundry company in the world.
Our backend code powers both our customer-facing web and native (soon to be React Native) apps, helping customers arrange the collection, delivery, and payment for their laundry; and internally-used tooling to help processing and delivery staff manage their workload. Behind the scenes, it’s responsible for driving logistical and computational efficiency.
Our current software is written in TypeScript, on the MEAN stack (MongoDB, Express, Angular, Node.js) and hosted on AWS. It’s most important that you have an eye for architecture and a willingness to learn. You do not need flawless knowledge or 10+ years experience in each of these areas to be successful in this role. Instead, an ability to learn independently and a passion for self-improvement are essential parts of the engineering process and are much more important to our team.
You will join a small, friendly, and passionate engineering team and will be able to shape the future of Oxwash. We’re looking for someone who can help us identify and solve the problems as we scale and expand our systems, both in capacity and geography,
This is ideally a hybrid remote role. We like to work together with other Oxwash team members in one of our ‘Lagoons’ (our dry and wet-cleaning hubs, where the magic happens) once or twice a week, when it is safe and responsible to do so. We currently have Lagoons in London, Cambridge, and Oxford, as well as an office in Central London (Kensington).
Technologies you will work with
We use the following technologies. You do not have to have used all of these languages in production in the past, but you should have a good level of fluency in at least one of them, and ideally an awareness of everything else. Our software is evolving fast so it’s more important that you’re able to pick up these parts quickly.
- Frameworks: Angular (v2+), React, Node.js, Express, Jest
- Databases: MongoDB, Postgres
- Infrastructure: AWS Lambda, Elastic Beanstalk, Serverless framework
Challenges you’ll be working on
- Designing and building APIs for our customer-facing web and native apps,
- Working on features that simplify the lives of our processing staff and riders
- Making data-centric decisions to drive growth
- Refactoring an existing RESTful (express.js) API into a modern and clean codebase
- Shaping and reviewing the practices and standards of a growing engineering team
What you’ll need to be successful in the role
- You care about software engineering and see it as craft.
- You are able to explain and justify your opinions, and are willing to listen to others
- You have experience developing API-focused backend applications, in any programming language or framework
- You have an interest in working with modern backend software, including TypeScript
- You have experience designing scalable and modern software systems.
- You have used either relational or document databases in production, especially MongoDB and Postgres.
- You are able to learn new things and share your existing knowledge through mentoring other engineers
Our Interview Process
We want to build a sensible and human-centric interview process at Oxwash. We’ll never ask you brainteasers, we don’t do any whiteboard problem solving, and we’re not going to demand you spend hours on a homework activity. If you have any commitments, professional or personal, which we would need to work around – we are completely able to do so.
Our interview process looks something like this:
- Introductory phone call with Toni, our Head of Technology, so we can learn more about each other (30-60 minutes)
- A remote, e.g. Google Hangouts, technical interview with Toni and Thomas (a full-stack engineer). You will not need to prepare anything for this interview, we’ll work together to understand, and potentially alter, a part of our codebase. There will be time at the end of the interview for you to ask any questions (technical or otherwise; 90 minutes)
- If safe and possible, a face-to-face chat with other Oxwash team members, and a tour of one of our Lagoons (about about 2 hours)
- We make a Job Offer if we think there’s a good fit between us! We will give feedback if it doesn’t seem like a good fit.
- Yearly conference budget (online for now, in-person when that’s possible)
- Free personal laundry, it’s important you know the Oxwash service!
- Free mental health support and counselling, provided by Spill (https://www.spill.chat/)
- An enhanced sickness policy, and parental leave
- Share options available
£45,000 – £60,000
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. This job description is intended to convey information essential to understanding the scope of the job and the general nature and level of work performed by job holders within this job. However, this job description is not intended to be an exhaustive list of qualifications, skills, efforts, duties, responsibilities or working conditions associated with the position.