SumOfUs is looking for a digital campaigner to help us win campaigns against corporations behaving badly. If you love fighting for change, if you are excited about global economic justice, and if you are hungry to experiment with technology to change the world, then this might be the role for you.
This role will primarily focus on curbing the abuse of big tech globally and will report to our disinformation project leader. Our members power our work and they are at the center of everything we do. This role will be responsible for identifying impactful campaigns, developing winning tactics and leveraging our member’s power to create fundamental shifts in line with global campaigns to cull big tech’s worst abuses and reshape it as a force for good.
This is a contracted position 30 to 40 hours per week beginning in May or June 2021 running through the end of 2021. The role is remote and can be undertaken by anyone in a timezone between GMT +1 (Central European Time, West Africa Time) and GMT -8 (West Coast Americas).
A bit about us
SumOfUs is a global movement of consumers, investors, and workers standing together to hold corporations accountable for their actions and forge a new and sustainable path for our global economy. We are a movement of more than 15 million people, brought together by a global team of 35 campaigners, fundraisers, and operations staff who are passionate about creating a more caring, equitable society.
We are aiming to fundamentally reshape the global economy to put people and planet over profit, but we know we can not do it alone. We build partnerships with on-the-ground activists and organisers, and we follow their lead. We innovate, experiment and embrace professional and organizational growth. We invest in people and we invest in how we work, because our vision calls on us to build the most effective, global, diverse, and talented team possible.
We highly value a diverse team and an equitable work environment where every member of our team is set up to thrive. We have taken steps to nurture this environment including an Anti-Oppression Leadership Team that leads work to transform injustice within the
organization. We expect all team members to take responsibility for co-creating an equitable work community where everyone is able to do impactful, world-changing work. We recruit and encourage people identifying with marginalized communities to apply.
What you’ll do as part of our team
- Identify, research and develop campaigns targeting big tech focusing on the US, Europe, and the global south, with other regions assigned as needed.
- Write and edit (and/or translate) compelling emails to engage and mobilize our members to take action, fundraise, and build our power in key regions and around the world;
- Lead on 2 campaigns at a time (on average) and collaborate with the disinformation team to influence campaign targets.
- Identify and develop fundraising opportunities to raise money to grow our movement and create real-world impact;
- Collaborate with partners and coalitions around campaign opportunities, manage relationships, and advance SumOfUs’s goals;
- Draft press releases and (with support and training) pitch reporters to cover our campaigns; and
- Assist with managing our membership lists, including monitoring and interpreting how people engage with the emails we send, if the emails are effective in generating action or raising money, and if the email list is growing.
- Other duties as assigned
Skills and experiences you’ll need to bring:
We have no formal education requirements – if you can meet the responsibilities of the role and are willing to grow, that’s all that matters.
All roles at SumOfUs require you to be:
- Dedicated to building a fairer and more sustainable global economy;
- Able to demonstrate a commitment to building a diverse, equitable and inclusive work community; and
- Able to work remotely.
And, this role in particular will require you to:
- Be able to identify and develop inspiring and impactful campaigns;
- Have excellent writing and storytelling skills with a solid understanding of campaigning;
- Be able to write 1-2 impactful and compelling emails to our English member list per week (English is our primary working language);
- Have an understanding of political process and how change happens on this level (understanding of European, and US political processes is an advantage); and
- Be keen to learn and develop new skills, be flexible and solutions oriented.
We know that no one can possibly have all these skills and experiences – you will likely be able to bring 2 or 3 of the following to our team:
- Strong relationship building skills, able to forge and manage relationships with people and organizations working on similar issues or projects;
- Understand basic data analysis;
- Experience designing and running experiments and A/B tests;
- Experience working with media (eg with writing press releases and doing interviews)
- Experience with market campaigns, shareholder activism, or corporate accountability issues;
- Experience in working with politics (decision makers); or
- Experience with campaigning in tech ethics/disinformation.
How to apply
Please submit your application using the form on our website. Submit a resume or CV in English and instead of writing a traditional cover letter, answer these four questions in English:
- Why are you applying for this job? (suggested word limit: 200);
- Name two campaigns you think SumOfUs should be running (suggested word limit: 300 words each). One campaign should be something you think is going to engage all of our members around the world, and one campaign should be something that targets corporations driving disinformation. Make sure to include the target of the campaigns and the “ask”. Check out recent examples of our campaigns at sumofus.org/campaigns for inspiration.
- Name one technology you would like to experiment with using in your campaign work, and explain why (suggested word limit: 300).
- List which of the “big plus” skills above you have, with a few words of explanation if that’s useful.
Applications will be open until May 31, 2021. However we will be reviewing and processing applications on a rolling basis and we encourage you to apply early.
Compensation is competitive and will be determined based on a combination of experience, seniority, and your location – ranging from $45-60 USD per hour.
We are an equal opportunity employer, and are committed to racial equity and social justice.