At Phytoform Labs Ltd we believe in sustainable agriculture and nutrition for all. We see a lack of innovation in the agricultural space around the crops themselves, so we are building a multidisciplinary team to help rectify the situation. We have exciting growth plans over the next year and we are looking for a talented Plant Cell Specialist to support our R&D pipeline. We are based at the world leading plant science institute Rothamsted Research just outside of London, United Kingdom.
If you are looking for a new challenge and like working with a multidisciplinary team then this job is for you. We are looking for a motivated team member to work on Phytoform Labs crop development pipeline. You will grow our tissue culture and cell culture expertise, with focus on working with plant cells. You will develop specific protocols for working with different varieties and plant tissues, including plantlet regeneration from single cells. You will support both our Discovery and Implementation team by developing cell-based methods that will be rapidly embedded into our R&D pipeline. If you have previously been part of an academic or industry team, but now would like to work in a fast-paced start-up environment and develop a project from the ground up then you would be a great fit.
- Set up and optimise plant tissue culture methods for the propagation and culture of mother plants
- Develop Regeneration protocols for plant cells in a variety of agronomically important species
- Develop efficient protocols for isolation and regeneration of single cells and protoplasts, not only from model plants but also for recalcitrant crops
- Support Discovery and Implementation Scientists with cell focused methods
- PhD/MSc or multiple years of experience in Plant Cell Biology and Plant Cell and Tissue Culture
- Strong knowledge and background of cell biology, plant physiology and microscopy
- Experience to develop protocols for plant regeneration from different species & tissues, not only in model crops but also in recalcitrant species.
- Experience working in a sterile environment.
- Self-driven with effective time management and multitasking capability.
- A hands-on attitude with observation patience.
- Excellent written and oral communication & ability to work well in a team
- Excellent documentation, IT & numerical skills
- Ability to work in a results-driven environment
You get extra points if you:
- Have previously demonstrated skills in cell biology and plant regeneration of a recalcitrant crop
- Have previously worked with protoplasts in plant transformation or gene editing
- Proficiently use a Laboratory Information Management System
- Have experience working in a start-up company
- Love plants as much as we do and have a green thumb
What we offer
- Competitive salary
- Share of value you create through Employee Stock Option Plan
- The chance to work with a multidisciplinary team changing agriculture
- A flexible working arrangement: early or late working
- Being able to occasionally work from home
- Access to a gym & tennis courts
- Access to the cycle to work scheme