To apply for this job please visit static1.squarespace.com.
Starting Salary: £45K Per Annum + equity stake + future opportunities
Location: Mater. HQ, Unit 5, Avon Trading Estate, St Philips, Bristol, BS2 0XA
Reports To: Founder, Adam Root
About the company
Matter is a Microplastics technology company focused on sustainable design and the circular economy. It was founded with the ambition to change the world and to create a team of people with the skills and abilities to deliver that change. We are working on some of the biggest challenges of our time, removing micro-plastics from the UK’s waterways creating a circular economy from the tons of plastic heading towards our Ocean.
We are looking for a ‘swiss army knife’ of a CTO. Someone who is unphased by the impossible ─ as this is often our benchmark. You will need a level head, great ability to adapt and change between projects and tasks. You might be working on solving a technical challenge in the morning and reviewing the long-term technology roadmap in the afternoon. As a director you are expected to lead from the front, having a work ethic where you wouldn’t ask anyone else to do something, you’re not willing to do yourself. Your expected to take the bins out and pitch for millions of pounds to investors. This is the role of a CTO in a technology-based start-up.
You will be directly reporting to Adam Root, the founder of Matter. Your role is to deliver impact.
You will be measured against building the team, patents and technology development, licencing partnerships and your direct involvement in tons of microplastics captured at your reviews. You will be the connection between our innovation and delivering fully realised products to the homes of millions of people.
You are required to be a safe pair of hands in every technology development project across the business. Your expected to be a level head and focused individual who can support and deliver on unprecedented challenges.
The work is intense and high paced but rewarding. You will have opportunities to represent a global change to the way businesses think about environmental challenges. You are always expected to be a leader of sustainability and an advocate for planet earth at home and at work.
Your job is to deliver game changing technology into people’s homes. We often work with sketches on the back of a napkin, then turn that idea into a working prototype and beyond. We expect you to challenge decisions asking the hard questions and understand when not to challenge decisions. This is about putting mission forefront. You must be the balance between delivery and resistance. You need duality in profit and planet considering all factors and be instrumental to decisions.
We expect you to act in an environmentally conscious way, with a passion to do more. Not only reduce environmental impact but be a role model for positive change.
Your role will include and not be limited to:
• Lead the development and management of Matter’s existing and future technology to ensure that Matter becomes a profitable and influential company exceeding its commercial targets and objectives.
• You will be responsible for all technical aspects of taking an initial concept through to ongoing reliable production. You will be expected to adapt and flex the development process to meet the changing needs of Matter as a business as well as the broader external context.
• You will be working with the leadership team to assess future opportunities and identify the technical and commercial risks and mitigation methods in considering a future technology to develop.
• You will be the lead on communicating Matter’s technology strategy to staff, the leadership team, the board as well as investors, partners, stakeholders as well as the general public.
• You will be managing a team of engineers, product designers, researchers, scientists amongst others within the technical field.
• You will be required to become an expert in the emerging and latest technologies being developed and how these can be applied to
Matter’s technology development.
• Working with Matter’s team of specialist IP attorneys and legal advisors to maintain the expanding portfolio of intellectual property.
• Develop and oversee how the technical team communicates, both internally and externally to maximise the art of efficient working whilst reducing and removing roadblocks, allowing the team to keep focused on the goals you set.
• Build and develop the team leading the continuous nurturing, training and personal development of Matter’s team to ensure a happy, vibrant and dynamic working environment.
• Make decisions based on knowledge and passion for the Circular Economy and Cradle to Cradle design.
• Being the first technical point of contact for Matter. You will be representing the company on the phone and though emails setting up meetings and organising calls.
• The ability and desire to travel to client meetings nationally and internationally when required.
• Supporting the general running of the business ranging from finance to health and safety.
Core Experience Requirements
• A minimum of 5 years’ experience of product development and managing engineering teams.
• History of scaling initial concepts to ongoing consistently produced product.
• Demonstrated ability to solve complex technical challenges with a high level of interdependencies.
• Managing the development of intellectual property and liaison with patent attorneys.
• Sourcing and managing subcontractors and manufacturers.
• Experience in the development of test programmes and the validation of technologies.
• Minimum education: 1:1 at degree level in Mechanical / Design Engineering (or equivalent).
• Experience in the development of full user focused specifications.
• Experience of managing government funded projects.
• Hands on familiarity with CAD programmes.
• Highly proficient hands on experience in rig building and prototype manufacture.
• Demonstration of licence deals being completed
• Hold or be a named inventor on innovative patents
• Understand and built large corporate partnerships
• Be able to understand cost and build effective BOM’s
• Be able to work with suppliers and bring contacts into the business. We are looking for
experience delivering a product at domestic and industrial scales.
• High competence of fluid dynamics and filtration
• Part of your roles is Chief Technology Officer the other half is an exceptional leader.
• Matter makes leaders not managers. Your role is to make sure every member of the team has the skills and knowledge to be a disruptor for good if they were to leave the company and make sure they love their job enough to stay.
• You should re-write the way traditional technology development has been done. Anti-green washing is our standard.
• You are Deck officer on the ship. Responsible with the leadership team for the navigation and safe passage of the ship.
• You are expected to hustle every single day. If you can’t find it, buy it. If we can’t buy it lets make it. It is common for us to rewrite the rule book. This is a new category and new opportunity.
• The ability to create standards and company policies.
• Ability to communicate your ideas visually.
• A high competency in presenting and thought leadership.
• Demonstrated exposure to high risk, high value problems with proof of delivery on complex and challenging solutions.
• High competency in IT literacy ─ using programs such as the Windows suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook), Google suite and iLife.
• Native level speaker in English and high written competency in English.
• Equity Share in the business.
• Flexible working environment.
• 26 days holiday plus eight statutory bank holidays (pro rata).
• +1 day to take on your birthday.
• Pension scheme.
• On-site parking for bicycles and cars.
• Must be able to sit for extended periods of time.
• Must be able to stand for extended periods of time.
• Ability to look at a computer screen for extended periods of time.
• Ability to maintain a composed and professional demeanour within a flexible and (at times noisy) work environment.
• Must be able to travel internationally and domestically utilising various transportation methods.
Equal Employment Opportunity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without discrimination on the basis of race, colour, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability, or any other factors prohibited by law.
Before applying please read this.
This role is a vital part of the successful development and growth of Matter. We are a young company, growing rapidly, and we are a tight-knit team so working together (literally and metaphorically) is essential.
Our HQ is a large facility that is set up for being able to work safely, and we have a comprehensive and dynamic working plan for Coronavirus, to keep our team safe and to mitigate for the inevitable disruptions.
Whilst we do work remotely when required, the nature of this role and our stage of development as a company, means that this cannot be a fully remote-working position.
To that end, you will need to live within realistic commuting distance of our HQ in central Bristol or be willing and able to relocate immediately.