To apply for this job please visit www.wholegraindigital.com.
About the role
Wholegrain Digital is a world leader in sustainable web design and development. We are looking for an experienced WordPress Developer who is self-driven, has a high attention to detail and excellent technical capabilities.
Our maintenance and support clients are one of the most valuable and important parts of our clientele, as they form a part of our regular income. As our client focussed WordPress Developer, you will be the dedicated developer who is responsible for delivering exceptional works to our regular clients.
You will be the first point of contact for most of our maintenance and support requests from our clients, especially of a technical nature. You’ll be communicating with clients on a daily basis, developing new code for feature requests, fixing bugs, applying security patching, optimising code and performance of existing websites, upgrading themes, plugins and WordPress core and other improvements on the existing websites.
Our development team will work closely with you, help and support you with all the resources you need to succeed. You will get hands-on experience as a project manager by managing the maintenance and support tasks directly from our clients.
This role would suit a WordPress Developer who is equipped with excellent technical skills, and prefers to work on smaller projects rather than build a whole website from scratch. You will have the opportunity to build your relationship with the clients and to learn a whole set of skills of project management.
Activity in this role will be broken down as follows:
- 60% Deliver maintenance and support work for our clients
- 30% Communication with clients and project management
- 10% Internal projects and admin
Your main responsibility will be to deliver and manage clients’ maintenance and support projects:
You’ll be responsible for directly executing all of this work, and delivering successful projects to clients. This involves communicating with clients to understand their needs, planning your schedule to meet the deadlines, answering any questions from clients, and collaborating with the project management team and the development team to utilise all resources.
You’ll need to have a passion for WordPress, be confident and content in bug fixing and site upgrade projects, and comfortable to talk to clients directly and professionally. You should be able to have an eye for finding errors and have the ability to solve problems promptly. You need to work independently and manage your own schedule effectively, whilst taking on board client needs and feedback, and delivering work to clients at a rapid pace.
To support the above, you need the following skills:
Solid practical skills and knowledge on WordPress: WordPress is your strength as a developer, you are familiar with WordPress features and plug-ins, and capable of the support and maintenance of WordPress Websites.
Excellent written and verbal communication with Clients: you are excellent at communicating with clients in writing or in a video call, and you are comfortable to answer client questions clearly and effectively in a non technical yet professional way.
Project management: you will have a basic understanding of project management, and love to learn and develop on how to update and manage your own tasks from start to finish! You will manage your own tasks for the support and maintenance projects, and you will proactively update clients and the project management team on the progress.
Desired technical skills and experience
- Advanced understanding of WordPress
- Highly experienced in PHP, HTML, CSS and JS development, with considerable experience developing custom WordPress themes and plugins
- Experience working as part of a development team (minimum 3+ years)
- Good problem-solving skills and the ability to think clearly and logically
- Solid knowledge of and passion for the Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG), including WCAG 2.0 and WCAG 2.1
- Experience with multilingual and multi-site WordPress installs
- Experience with Version Control systems (Git)
- Can work to deadline and juggle competing priorities
- Willingness to take ownership of projects
- Understanding how to build relationships with clients
- Experience with Client focus role
- Good understanding of Project Management
- Experience using build tools (Gulp, webpack, Sass)
- Experience with automated deployment
- Experience integrating third-party APIs
- Understanding of fundamentals of DNS configurations, CDNs and SSL.
Desired person specification
- Be a proactive communicator
- Self-driven work ethic: You need to be 100% reliable, self-motivated, comfortable taking the initiative and seeing projects through to completion
- Have the ability to communicate without jargon
- Instinctively look to always help those around you
- Be a confident facilitator, able to lead a group to conclusions without ego or personal bias
- Enjoy variety and have the ability to switch
- Always strive to make things better
- Have an eagerness to learn
- Believe in the importance of standardisation and processes
- Have the ability to understand business requirements of Wholegrain and our clients
- Have the ability to work under pressure, with high attention to detail
- Have the ability to work both independently and as part of a team
- Be naturally honest and dependable.
Bonus points if you have:
- Experience maintaining build tools
- Experience working a customer service role
- Developed an open source theme or plugin, or given a talk.
- Knowledge of the WordPress product industry
- Familiarity with project management and remote-work tools, e.g. Basecamp
Compensation and benefits:
- This role is flexible in working hours between 32 to 40 hours per week, semi remote. We normally would ask you to spend one of your working days per week in our London office, but at the moment under the Government Covid -19 Guidance, you will not be required to, you will be working from home.
- Competitive salary with pension, the range for this role is: £35k to £38k pa
- 22 days of paid holiday + 8 bank holidays
- Birthday off
- Flexible working
- Renewable energy rewards
- Perks through work
- Paid travel to events in Europe
- Somerset House discounts
- Free bike access
- Company Maternity/Paternity Pay
- Company Sick Pay
- Work for a sustainable, ethical company: we are a B Corp!
Our recruitment process:
- If we like the look of your cv, cover letter and portfolio, we’ll be in touch to organise an initial telephone call to get to know you better
- From there, we’ll ask you to complete a development test that we’ve put together
- If you’ve wowed us with your coding skills, we’ll invite you to attend a face-face interview with one of our Senior Developers, our HR team and our Directors. (Due to Covid-19, we will be conducting interviews via Google Hangout)
How to apply:
Simply click the below “Apply for this role” button and fill in your application!
We get a lot of good CVs but what we are really looking for is a remarkable individual. Please ensure you attach a cover letter, CV and samples of your code with your application. Please note, we will only be in contact with successful applicants.
Recruitment agencies – please don’t contact us.