Our vision is to restore our planet by empowering everyone to make informed climate decisions through Earth Science AI.
We’re seeking an ambitious and solution-oriented Climate Scientist with expertise in Downscaling to join our team at an exciting time for our business. You’ll be helping us to push the boundaries of our scientific capabilities, by expanding our downscaling abilities. You’ll be doing this work alongside members of the Science Team, engineers, designers, and product managers, to deliver a cutting-edge and scientifically robust product.
You will join a diverse set of scientists and engineers in the Science Team, whose backgrounds range from statistics, through physics and climate science, remote sensing, to data engineering and scientific computing.
You’ll identify and implement significant improvements to our current downscaling methodologies by incorporating state-of-the-art regional climate models’ simulations and/or statistical methods. You will stay abreast of the latest scientific literature to inform our modelling approaches, but will also ensure that your approach is pragmatic and aligned with stakeholder requirements. You’ll coordinate with other teams to ensure that your outputs, timelines, and expectations are aligned.
The role offers a unique opportunity to join a fast-growing, highly mission-driven team where you’ll have the ability to make a significant impact on the science team, our company, and our users.
We are a pro-diversity company and passionate about bringing together people of all backgrounds because we know that a diverse team will help us achieve our mission sooner.
As a Climate Scientist with expertise in Downscaling at Cervest, you will:
- Identify opportunities for significant improvements of our current downscaling methodologies by incorporating state-of-the-art regional climate models’ simulations and/or statistical methods.
- Implement improvements in downscaling methods by writing clean, easy-to-understand code.
- Contribute to the identification of the appropriate metrics to assess the skill of your implementations
- Initiate data acquisition as needed.
- Stay abreast of scientific literature to incorporate best practices in our modeling, and translate learnings back into the Science Team and product development as appropriate.
- Communicate downscaling concepts and best practices with a marked ability to adapt your language to the appropriate level to support technical yet cross-disciplinary collaboration not only with climate scientists but also with statistical scientists, and data and software engineers.
- Ph.D. in climate science, meteorology, or related discipline.
- Deep understanding of downscaling methodologies; ideally both statistical and dynamical downscaling, as demonstrated by research experience in the field.
- Ability to create a roadmap for project development as demonstrated by previous experience in authoring research proposals in academic settings or narrative documents and white papers in industry settings.
- Strong expertise in writing code in either Python or Julia.
- Strong verbal and written communication abilities, particularly to technical audiences, with the ability to convey complex scientific concepts to not only domain experts but also statistical scientists, and data and software engineers.
- Collaborative skills.
- Experience working in industry settings or strong willingness to expand the incorporation of academic best practices with those of industry.
- Pragmatic approach to problem-solving.
- Adaptability to shifting and expanding priorities, and ability to provide guidance on prioritization in such context.
Bonus points for:
- Solid statistical background.
- A solid understanding of computer science, numerical algorithms, a low-level programming language, data engineering and/or distributed computing.
- Strong communication abilities to non-technical audiences
- Familiarity and interest in state-of-the-art methods including AI and ML
If you believe you would add value to our team but don’t meet all the criteria we have laid out in this job description, we would still love to hear from you.
Opportunities to learn, grow and thrive with support from talented and empathetic team mates
We are a remote first company and looking for candidates who would be able to come to our office in London (once travel is sensible) a few times a year using more sustainable transport methods (we’ll help with that) so generally within one time zone of the UK.
Fuller list of benefits on our main career page – we’re an early-stage startup and currently reviewing our benefits in light of becoming a remote-first company. We are committed to ensuring that we support our team in developing in line with their aspirations and talents as well as continuing to develop our culture in line with our values.