To apply for this job please visit apply.workable.com.
Highview Power is a small but growing global organisation who are leading the way towards a cleaner, more efficient and secure energy future.
Our proprietary long duration, zero emissions energy storage system utilises cryogenic technology and surplus electricity; at times of low demand/low cost, to make liquid air which can be stored and later converted back into energy and released into the grid, at times of high demand/high cost.
This award-winning technology has been dubbed as “the missing link” to making renewable green energy sources a more resilient, reliable and cost-effective option when compared with traditional fossil fuel alternatives.
Highview Power value their employees and are committed to creating a positive, inspiring and inclusive working environment.
Job summary / Purpose of the role
Highview is actively exploring business opportunities in various geographies globally. Given the rapid energy transition underway, northern Europe is an area of particular focus. The commercial analyst will support Highview’s business development team in this effort with the specific goal of identifying concrete project opportunities and then working with the team to develop these projects and ensure the successful deployment of Highview’s liquid air energy storage (LAES) technology.
The position will be London-based, but will require regular travel to and within target markets (Germany, Netherlands, Belgium, Austria, Poland) to represent the company and their interests with external parties such as potential partners, grid infrastructure owners and operators, regulators and government departments. Acting as an advisory ‘hub’ of the business, this role will require close co-ordination and collaboration with the Analytical, Business Development, Project Management and Engineering teams.
The successful candidate will be commercially sharp and adaptable; they will have a strong proficiency with the German language (fluent or native), effective communication and presentation skills with the ability to develop relationships and influence at all levels.
In return, Highview Power will provide the successful candidate with training and development opportunities, competitive salary….. and the chance to join us while we build a cleaner, greener, better future for everyone.
Key tasks, activities and responsibilities of the role
- Evaluate the key drivers supporting energy storage on a geographical basis and build business cases for potential projects in Europe.
- Assess policy, regulatory and environment suitability; and keep up to date with legislative changes to advise which evolving markets are promising for liquid air.
- Support the Business Development team’s activities by identifying potential project opportunities and customers, searching for suitable sites, and supporting project development activities.
- Interact with transmission operators, renewable energy project operators, and large industrial and commercial customers.
- Coordinate closely with the Highview Business Analytics team to understand the operating parameters of the LAES plant, the capital and operating expenditures, and the potential business applications.
- Perform robust revenue analysis determine optimal use case (e.g. grid stability services vs capacity vs energy shifting).
- Determine sources, availability, term, value of revenue contracts (e.g. from transmission operators, renewables operators etc) for any given market and/or project.
- Demonstrate commercial understanding and support the construction of a project business case including the “revenue stack”.
- Run tenders for merchant revenues (traders, aggregators) where possible.
- Prepare persuasive presentations for business meetings.
- Maintain project development documentation such as status reports.
- Represent the company at conferences and webinars as and when required.
Please note that this is not an exhaustive list of general tasks and duties, and that the job description may be subject to changes according to the requirements of the organisation. The job holder will be expected to complete all tasks within his/her level of skill and ability.
Essential qualifications, skills and experience
- Degree in engineering, business, finance, economics, mathematics (ideally at Master’s (Diplom) level)
- 2-3 years’ experience in a similar role.
- Native speaker/strong fluency in German and English.
- Familiarity with project finance.
- Knowledge of the European power sector & regulatory landscape.
- Experience creating high quality reports, presentations, business case or investment case materials.
- Advanced Excel.
- Ability to work cross-functionally, collaborate and build relationships with a range of stakeholders.
- Experience maintaining project development documentation.
- Modelling experience with Python, R, or a similar software.
- Experience in energy storage
Personal Qualities / Specific Requirements
- Availability for frequent travel to and within target markets (Germany, Netherlands, Belgium, Austria, Poland)
- Open to the possibility of moving to Germany in the future if and when projects are deployed.
- High level of integrity and honesty
- A self-starter, highly motivated, reliable and responsible individual.
- Confident, likable character with excellent communication
- Positive and enthusiastic approach to delivering and exceeding expectations.
- Has a genuine interest in the environment, sustainability and renewable energy.
- Client First – Acts as an ambassador for the company, is courteous and builds strong, professional client relationships. Relates well to all kinds of people, builds rapport easily and appropriately; and talks about clients in a positive way. Gathers information from customers to gauge their expectations and better understand their needs, and to identify issues or problems. Suggests appropriate alternative options and agrees the best way forward with the customer. Understands and values the importance of seeking feedback.
- Change and Innovation – Looks for new and better ways to do things, generates new ideas and is resourceful in finding solutions or solving problems. Regularly participates and initiates discussions to find innovative solutions and encourages others to identify and welcome change.
- Developing self – Takes a realistic view of own strengths and weaknesses. Approaches new experiences and situations as an opportunity to learn. Is open to feedback and accepts personal responsibility for actively improving own skills and effectiveness. Uses intranet and other company tools to build own knowledge of the company, it’s people, services, policies and procedures.
- Team working – Develops effective, supportive and collaborative relationships with colleagues. Actively involves other people, asking for ideas and opinions. Is a team player who is considerate towards others and contributes towards a positive team spirit. Adapts own behaviour to respond constructively to behaviours and feelings of colleagues.Puts own agenda to one side in order to achieve the team’s tasks.
- Planning & Organising – Identifies the key issues, effectively prioritises, plans ahead and manages expectations. Can meet deadlines and respond to tasks within a timescale. Applies structure to work, balancing everyday tasks and duties against projects and adhoc requests.
- Making considered decisions – A first class problem solver. Analyzes available information and demonstrates a logical approach to assessing the situation using clear criteria before taking action. Is clear about allocating responsibility and accountability. Escalates high risk/cost matters appropriately with a proposed solution.
- Resilience – Can work under pressure and deal with situations calmly. Sticks with the task even when it gets difficult, tedious or inconvenient. Takes responsibility for seeing things through. Has an ability to manage difficult or demanding people in an assertive yet professional manner. Puts in effort to understanding resistance or obstacles and sees possibilities even in negative situations.
- Flexibility – Actively takes on whatever role or task is required to achieve the business goals. Approaches work with a ‘hands on’, ‘can do’ attitude. Prepared to roll up sleeves. No task is beneath them.
- Effective Communication – Ability to build rapport with a diverse range of stakeholders. Listens to other’s opinions and checks to ensure that needs and expectations have been understood. Both written and verbal communication is structured logically, delivered with confidence, clarity, tact and credibility; and is adapted appropriately to the situation.Keeps others informed of progress and provides updates when things do not go as expected.
- The chance to make a difference!
- Competitive salary
- Share options
- Flexible working
- 25 days annual leave
- Auto enrolment pension (after 3 months’ service)
- Season ticket loan
- Cycle to work loan
- Training & development opportunities
- Professional Membership Fee Reimbursement