The Under2 Coalition is the biggest international grouping of states and regions, with 260 members (and counting) leading on action to limit the impacts of climate change. This role supports them and this work by raising their voices and making the case for including state and regional governments in all decisions around climate change worldwide.
The postholder will work with the Senior Communications Manager to enhance the profile of the Under2 Coalition through stakeholder, online and written communications as well as the delivery of key projects and events. This is a varied role that involves close working with governments, and requires skills across the communications spectrum. It also offers considerable opportunities for leadership and development, as the post holder will be a core member of multi-disciplinary project teams and will be responsible for overseeing the Under2 Coalition’s content creation and social media output.
As well as focusing on state and regional priorities, the postholder will work closely with the broader Climate Group communications team on media opportunities and events such as Climate Week NYC.
About Climate Group
Climate Group drives climate action. Fast. Our goal is a world of net zero carbon emissions by 2050, with greater prosperity for all.
We focus on systems with the highest emissions and where our networks have the greatest opportunity to drive change. We do this by building large and influential networks and holding organisations accountable, turning their commitments into action.
We share what we achieve together to show more organisations what they could do. We are an international non-profit organisation, founded in 2004, with offices in London, New Delhi and New York. We are proud to be part of the We Mean Business coalition.
About the role
Critical supporting role for our communications on global states and regions
- Supporting the Senior Communications Manager with the development and execution of Under2 communications strategies and plans; proactively supporting the enhancement of our communications approach
- Leading on communications for several projects and providing tactical support for key campaign pushes – ensuring our work has impact with our key audiences
- Assisting in the development and deployment of compelling key messages
- Working with international bodies and NGOs on joint projects to further the work of non-state actors on climate change
- Working in and across key Climate Group systems – identifying links across the work of the Under2 Coalition team and the wider Climate Group teams
- Inputting to new project plans so that communications is properly reflected in bids to funders
- Managing the Under2 Coalition Secretariat’s communications calendar, ensuring major moments are planned for and fielding/assessing requests to add more
- Keeping member governments informed of upcoming projects and events through monthly email outreach
- Helping to maintain and build the brand of Climate Group and Under2 Coalition
- Deputising for the Senior Communications Manager as and when required
- Planning and creating content for the Under2 Coalition and Climate Group’s wider states and regions work
- Researching and drafting compelling news stories, articles, blog posts, Q&As, social media posts and other materials
- Supporting on reports, briefings and case studies – feeding in ideas for design, launch and media opportunities, copyediting, if required, and promotion
- Seeking opportunities to link the actions of our government and business stakeholders to topical global issues and news
- Collating a base of materials, references, facts and figures to provide proof-points for our messaging and to inform all our communications
- Leading on day-to-day digital delivery for our states and regions work
- Ensuring the integration of the latest digital trends into our plans and outputs
- Engaging member governments and partner organisations - creating and distributing social media toolkits and encouraging mutual cooperation
- Developing, managing and updating content on Under2 Coalition web pages, ensuring best web practice and suggesting ideas for innovation
- Leading on the compilation of regular external e-newsletters
- Tracking and reporting website, social and newsletter statistics and suggesting ideas for improvement based on data
- Fielding enquiries from stakeholders including journalists and governments
- Actively developing potential connections with new media outlets and journalists and devising stories that would appeal to our key audiences
- Maintaining a database of Under2 Coalition media coverage to assess opportunities for future stories and outreach
- Ensuring efficient management of logos, images and all digital assets
- Planning agendas for meetings, writing-up action points and driving those forward
- Liaising with regional offices – supporting outputs from a global perspective
- Keeping up to date on relevant issues/policies
- Occasionally supporting business programs and the broader Climate Group corporate communications team as required
As an adaptable self-starter, you will be proactive in all you do. No two days at Climate Group are the same and you will enjoy keeping abreast of a busy workload – juggling multiple demands and reassessing your priorities daily. You work to the highest quality, ensuring actions are completed on time and to a high standard.
- Demonstrable experience of working with a communications team or press office
- Proactive, innovative approach and ability to reprioritise actions regularly
- Excellent written and proofreading skills with a high level of attention to detail
- Excellent ability to process and build-up knowledge and expertise on communicating technical issues related to government and climate change
- Excellent understanding of integrated, multi-channel communications, including different social media platforms
- Excellent interpersonal skills and a good team player, able to work independently and effectively with others
- Experience of handling media, selling-in stories and being part of a wider effort to raise an organisation’s profile
- Good cultural awareness and understanding of how communications approaches may differ depending on geography
- Competence in building great relationships and working with a broad range of internal and external individuals at all levels.
- Strong organisational skills, with attention to detail and ability to multi-task.
- Team player with the ability to identify where support is needed and comfortable delivering an administrative workload alongside more strategic activity
- Degree in communications/environment/politics or another related field
- Experience working with governments and/or Ministers’ offices
- Experience of working or volunteering internationally
- Ability to communicate in languages other than English (particularly Spanish or Portuguese)
You will be employed at our London headquarters. As we are currently in the process of moving to a new permanent London location (Zone 1), our staff are utilising the use of our temporary office near Borough. From October 2021, we have adopted a phased flexible blended approach of working 2 days in the office and 3 days working from home. Once we move to a permanent office (Q1 of 2022) this will be 3 days in the office and 2 days working from home.
Terms & Conditions
This is a full-time permanent role, and the salary for this position is £25,600 -£28,800 per annum, based on experience.
In addition to the salary, the role holder will benefit from:
- 25 days’ holiday pro rata, plus public holidays; additional leave following three and six years’ service
- 10% non-contributory pension scheme following three months’ service
- Private healthcare and Cash Plan on completion of probation
- Life Assurance
- Wellbeing allowance
- Season ticket loan
- Bike loan
- Volunteering day on completion of probation
How to apply
Use the ‘Apply’ button to apply for this vacancy. Should you require further information, please contact Stephanie Mackrell at SMackrell@theclimategroup.org.
Applications for this position should come in the form of a CV and cover letter. The closing date for submitting your application is October 27, 2021. Interviews will likely begin before so please apply as soon as possible.
The requisite eligibility criteria, or work visa to work in the UK are a requirement for this position and no relocation and/or sponsorship costs will be borne by Climate Group.