In September 2020 Climate Group hosted the largest digital climate summit in the world and used its platform to play a critical leadership role in our global fight against climate change. Now in its thirteenth year, Climate Week NYC will go further – bringing together business and government leadership to support, challenge and accelerate global climate action in the run up to COP26 and beyond. We are looking for an experienced, knowledgeable and results focused individual to be a part of our core team and help drive this ambition.
The Climate Week NYC Communications Officer will support our outward facing communications and have responsibility for managing, creating and scheduling our world leading content. This role will work with multiple teams, reporting to the Head of Climate Week with dotted line management from the Supporter Engagement Officer to ensure we maximise our voice across our channels increase our engagement across a range of audiences.
As Climate Week NYC looks towards its thirteenth year and the world prepares for international climate summit COP26 in November, this will be a unique opportunity to play a leading role in engaging a global audience in climate action.
This is a fixed term position focused specifically at Climate Week NYC 2021. Additional opportunities relating to COP26 and future Climate Group events may become available at a later date.
About the Climate Group
The Climate Group drives climate action. Fast. Our goal is a world of net zero carbon emissions by 2050, with greater prosperity for all.
We focus on systems with the highest emissions and where our networks have the greatest opportunity to drive change. We do this by building large and influential networks and holding organisations accountable, turning their commitments into action.
We share what we achieve together to show more organisations what they could do. We are an international non-profit organisation, founded in 2004, with offices in London, New Delhi and New York. We are proud to be part of the We Mean Business coalition.
Climate Week NYC is an international climate event that takes place in New York City every September alongside the United Nations General Assembly. As the flagship event for the Climate Group, and the largest Climate Week event to take place in the world, it plays a central role in promoting and supporting the Climate Group’s world leading initiatives, as well as providing a major platform for business, government and public engagement and action.
About the role
We are looking for a talented and ambitious communications professional to join a growing communications team. This wide-ranging role will sit within the Climate Week section of the team, which covers Climate Week and Communications in North America for The Climate Group.
Here you will play a critical role in supporting the communications of our flagship international event, Climate Week NYC. It brings together global leaders to showcase the unstoppable momentum of global climate action. You will assist our integrated team on social media and media outreach, as well as helping to support key deliverables for the event itself. You will also support our work with high profile partners and sponsors, to help build our relationships and overall profile for the event. This will include overseeing and managing our communications calendar that brings together multiple channels of content from partners, sponsors and internal program teams.
With a passion for storytelling, you will help to significantly progress our approach on content and outreach on social media to uplift our engagement with international communities to lift our international profile, brand and influence. The opportunity would suit someone with a marketing/communications background looking to kick start their career in a fast-paced, integrated communications team.
Key areas of focus will include:
- Support teams to deliver high quality content (e.g. briefings, case studies, reports, video, blogs, news, tweets etc) for the Climate Group, often by taking the lead on these
- Overseeing, with support from various teams, the creation and delivery of communications deliverables for Climate Week NYC sponsors, liaising with relevant brand, website and business development teams to produce content, posts and mentions
- Lead on the creation of Climate Week NYC’s social media calendar, liaising with multiple teams to ensure both sponsorship deliverables, marketing campaigns and communications initiatives are effectively scheduled delivered and evaluated
- Play a key support role to the wider team (planning agendas, writing-up actions and driving those forward)
- Support the business development team in carrying out due diligence on potential sponsors, identifying and sharing media related issues to relevant teams
- Supporting the publication of video content from across the week on our social media channels and working directly with partners, such as Facebook, to maximise opportunities for engagement
- Providing flexible support to the wider Climate Week NYC team and assisting the Head of Climate Week and Head of Events in bringing together our communications outputs
- Working flexible hours when required to support events and announcements across international time zones
As an adaptable self-starter, you will have the ability to execute agreed actions to a high level. You will be proactive in all you do and seek feedback from colleagues to ensure continuous improvement in everything you work on. You will be eager to learn and will thrive in a fast-paced and evolving landscape. This role requires excellent time management and prioritisation skill and would suit an individual with ambitions to work in communications role with a global outlook.
- A passion for communications demonstrable experience in supporting communications and social media strategy and delivery
- Strong work ethic with ability to work well under pressure and unsupervised
- Strong command of the English language with a flair for copywriting
- Creative and curious with the confidence to question the status quo and suggest new initiatives and ideas
- Proficiency in Word, PowerPoint and Excel as well as Facebook, LinkedIn and Twitter including basic engagement and analytics across all platforms
- Excellent organisational skills and ability to multi-task under deadlines
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Knowledge of Adobe InDesign/Photoshop would be an asset
- Experience with Final Cut Pro and/or Adobe Suite (editing)
- Knowledge of paid promotional campaigns across social media platforms and related analytics
- Experience in using Facebook Watch and YouTube
You will be employed at our London headquarters. Since COVID-19, our London office has been working mostly from home but you will also have the use of an office near Borough for key meetings with colleagues. We are also in the process of moving offices to a new permanent London location. Until then, this role can be done remotely but will require the post holder to be based in the UK. This position may require international travel.
Terms & Conditions
This is a full-time, fixed term 7-month position. The salary for this position is £25,600 – £28,800 per annum based on experience. In addition to the salary, the role holder will benefit from:
- 25 days’ holiday pro rata, plus public holidays
- 10% non-contributory pension scheme following three months’ service
- Private healthcare and Cash Plan on completion of probation
- Life Assurance
- Wellbeing allowance
- Season ticket loan
- Bike loan
- Volunteering day on completion of probation
How to apply
Use the ‘Apply’ button to apply for this vacancy. Should you require further information, please contact Adam Lake, Head of Climate Week at email@example.com
Applications for this position should come in the form of a CV, cover letter, and a one-page concept note responding to the following question (can be attached to the cover letter).
“We would like #ClimateWeekNYC to trend on Twitter on September 20. Please set out on no more than one page how you would make this happen. Your concept note should include a basic content schedule and incorporate key messaging that you think we might want to convey on our opening day.”
The expected closing date for submitting your application is 29th March 2021.
We are an inclusive employer who welcomes applications from all backgrounds.
The requisite eligibility criteria, or work visa to work in the UK are a requirement for this position and no relocation and/or sponsorship costs will be borne by the Climate Group