To apply for this job please visit madeinhackney.org.
We are looking for a new Community Food Manager to join our team. Read on for more information about this exciting new opportunity.
Post: Community Food Manager
Hours: 4 days a week
Location: Combination of meal service kitchen (Hackney) and home based
Salary: £26,400/annum pro rata 4 days/week (£33,000/annum full time equivalent)
This is an exciting and rewarding role leading Made In Hackney’s community meal service.
Since the start of the COVID-19 lockdown in March 2020, Made in Hackney has pivoted from a community cookery school providing face to face cookery classes to a free direct to door meal delivery service for households in need of support. We have now committed to establishing the service as a core part of MIH’s programme of activities for the foreseeable future as funding allows.
The successful candidate will have experience in team leadership and managing staff and volunteers within a community food setting. They will have experience in logistics management – from procurement to deliveries and be confident they can learn and operate a bicycle courier routing app. They will enjoy attention to detail and have a meticulous ability for complex scheduling, multi-tasking and operations management. Experience or knowledge in working with routing apps, spreadsheets and CRMs will be a distinct advantage.
The candidate will have experience in working with a wide range of people and personalities and be confident collaborating with and building strategic partnerships with diverse community organisations to learn from and further develop our community food services. They will have a passion for community building, health and wellbeing, and environmental issues – our three organisational pillars of impact. They will understand and support our aspirational food policy but most importantly be an advocate of plant-based eating.
The experience of working for Made in Hackney is varied, unique and rewarding. There is plenty of room for the successful candidate to be creative and bring new ideas for developing the service.
A) Team Leader
Managing and supporting the meal service logistics team, chef team and meal recipients
• Hold a complete overview and vision for the community meal service
• Streamline existing processes and identify opportunities to innovate on an ongoing basis
• Coordinate and facilitate regular logistics team meetings and follow up any actions
• Liaise with the chef team to ensure meals are created as required and that the kitchen facilities are appropriate to do so
• Manage a team of logistics volunteers and support them to deliver their roles efficiently
• Oversee and update changing circumstances of meal beneficiaries and manage the phone helpline
• Problem solve any challenges and issues that arise compassionately
Managing the cycle courier team
• Oversee the recruitment, training and invoicing for cycle couriers as necessary
• Plan and communicate the weekly cycle courier schedule
• Manage the courier WhatsApp group, and troubleshoot issues
• Manage ongoing contract with venue and relationship with landlord
• Work with the kitchen team to identify a new larger venue to move the existing meal service operations to
B) Finance & Procurement
• Explore and launch new revenue streams to make the meal service more sustainable eg, a lunch time take away service
• Secure, manage and record all procurement of food and products, including donated items
• Maintain oversight of community food service budget, income and expenditure with support from Finance Manager and Development Manager
• Support relationship development with organisational and individual donors and supporters through leading kitchen visits and identifying volunteer opportunities as needed
C) Building Community Partnerships
• Build strategic partnerships with diverse community organisations
• Work with a wide range of diverse people, personalities and communities
• Ensure that the team have the right tools, resources and training to provide additional support or information to community members and are aware of referral pathways within Hackney.
D) HR, Training, Health and Safety & Safeguarding
• Participate and contribute in wider MIH team meetings and organisational strategy discussions
• Undertake regular Health and Safety risk assessments to ensure safe operation of the meal service premises including working in line with a Food Safety Management System and conducting HACCP risk assessments
• Ensure members of the team all have the required level of training in health & safety and safeguarding as necessary
• Collaborate with Volunteer Manager to identify any needs for additional support on the logistics/courier team
• Report any safeguarding and data protection concerns to MIH’s Safeguarding Lead
• Experience as a team leader, managing and supporting a diverse team
• Experience in providing and managing regular feedback in a team
• Experience in building strategic partnerships with community organisations, corporates and brands
• Strong communication and interpersonal skills
• Excellent organisational skills and the ability to manage a variety of tasks simultaneously
• Experience in using CRMs – confident and meticulous in data management
• Ability to take initiative, be flexible and think creatively on a very limited budget
• Ability to deal with, and have empathy for, the needs of a diverse range of people including at risk groups
• A passion for plant-based food
• Enthusiasm, energy and a positive attitude
• Flexible working arrangement with combination of working from MIH meal service kitchen and from home
• Training provided in Safeguarding Adults and Children, Emergency First Aid, Food Safety and Salesforce CRM etc
• Employee Assistance Programme (EAP) which includes counselling and physio
• Staff Wellbeing and social activities throughout the year
• Pension Scheme
• Staff discount of 15% in Food For All Shop;
Equal Opportunity and Anti Racism
We have a strong commitment to promote diversity, equality and equal opportunities. We welcome applications from underrepresented groups, whether these be of ethnicity, gender, identity, religion, physical ability, sexual orientation or other.
Made In Hackney is on a journey of embedding anti-racism practice into all areas of our work. The Community Food Manager would welcome this and participate in this organisational journey.
1) Fill in our online application form
2) Send in a short 5-10 minute video application explaining why you feel you’re appropriate for the role and email it to firstname.lastname@example.org
Deadline: 5pm Friday 10th September 2021
Interviews: Thursday 16th and Friday 17th September 2021
Post commences: Monday 4th October 2021.