The OVO Group’s purpose is to drive progress towards net zero carbon living. To reach Plan Zero, we need everyone to come together – not just as customers buying energy, but as members with a common goal. As part of this ambitious plan, our goal is to become the ‘Best Employer in the UK’ by 2030. If you think you could be the talent we’re looking for, then come and join the adventure!
Where in the world of OVO will I be working?
Following its acquisition of SSE Energy Services in 2020, OVO Group is now one of the UK’s largest domestic energy suppliers serving approximately 5 million customers, and also trades in various international territories. We are seeking a company secretarial assistant or senior in-house corporate paralegal to manage all aspects of the Group’s company secretarial function and related corporate / legal tasks.
Reporting directly to the General Counsel you will be part of the Group’s wider One Finance team, working with colleagues in Legal, Finance, Tax, People and other teams.
What will I be doing?
Key responsibilities include:
- Convening board and shareholder meetings – including circulation of packs and assisting with their preparation, drafting agendas, minutes and resolutions
- Building and maintaining a fit for purpose internal data room of key legal, financial and commercial content for use by senior management
- Maintaining the group companies’ statutory books, share and PSC registers, and Group structure chart
- Administration of financial and legal aspects of the OVO Group employee share scheme, including managing the share register and share subscription deeds, and working closely with People team on general administration of the scheme
- Management of all Companies House filings including incorporation details, PSCs, confirmation statements, and director appointments and resignations
- Supporting on corporate legal projects such as simplification of group entities structure, intra-group restructurings, review and harmonisation of articles of association, establishment of new entities & close down of legacy entities
- Drafting simple share / asset purchase agreements, intra-group loan agreements, share transfer forms and other corporate documents
- Assisting with execution formalities of corporate documents
- Support on major transactions including M&A and financings
- Working closely with Finance, Legal, Tax, People and other core functions
- Assisting with certain regulatory reporting relating to corporate governance matters
- Assisting with directors’ duties and related training
- Legal research on ad hoc matters, particularly in relation to company law
- Managing formal correspondence sent to company registered offices
- Ensuring letterhead and other artefacts bear correct corporate details
- Assisting with managing various other legal and related administration including insurance, trade mark registers, data protection filings, professional subscription renewals
- Non-UK entities:
- managing local advisors to ensure effective compliance with equivalent requirements in local jurisdictions including France, Spain and Australia
- supporting on establishment of local entities including liaison with local advisors to set up legal entity, powers of attorney and other local regulatory corporate requirements
- Ad hoc support to the General Counsel
Is this the job for me?
Ideally you will have:
- At least 5 years of directly relevant company secretarial assistant / senior corporate paralegal experience gained in an in-house environment
- Close familiarity with and ability to interpret the contents of core legal documents, including board resolutions, share purchase agreements and articles of association
- Strong understanding of the core provisions and technical requirements of the Companies Act
- Good legal research abilities
- Moderate legal drafting skills
- Foundation level understanding of finance & accounting principles
- Experience of understanding equity and debt structures very useful
- International group experience useful but not required
- 2:1 degree from a well-regarded university
- May have or be working towards company secretarial qualification
- Excellent ability to organise and structure large numbers of documents, records and data
- Highly structured approach to staying on top of regular administrative tasks, and fulfilling ongoing maintenance and updating responsibilities
- Ability to work without supervision, but know when to seek guidance
- Self-driven and motivated, with an ability to show initiative in all situations and the ability to take responsibility for actions
- Ability to remain calm under pressure
- Confidentiality is a must– this role is party to highly sensitive information, which is important in both protecting our employees and our business
- IT literacy across a variety of tools; experience in Google Suite is advantageous
- Excellent literacy, numeracy, written, and reporting skills
- The ability to challenge and see beyond current state – spot opportunity for process improvement and act upon these observations
- Comfortable communicating with members of staff from all levels and areas of the business, including “upwards management”
- Enthusiasm and energy
Ideally, we’re looking for someone who has strong experience as a Co-Sec, and is comfortable drafting corporate documents and conducting legal research.
From us you’ll get*
- An annual discretionary bonus
- 4% of your salary to spend on flexible lifestyle benefits
- 5% matched employer contribution to your pension
- 25 days holiday + 1 for your birthday
- And many more…
(*) Please note that certain benefits kick-in once you have passed probation which can be up to 6 months after your start date.
We want the best people
At OVO, we empower our people to have choice around where and when they work – flexible working arrangements can be discussed for all of our roles. Please speak to the Talent Acquisition team for more info.
We’re keen to meet people with varied backgrounds – our view is the more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. We want to build teams which represent a variety of experiences, perspectives and skills, and we recognise talent on the basis of merit and potential.
We understand some people may not apply for jobs unless they tick every box. If you’re excited about joining us and think you have much of what we’re looking for, even if you’re not 100% sure… we’d love to hear from you.