The Construction Manager is part of the Corporate Development and Construction team that provides support to Cubico’s Origination and Execution teams and assurance to senior management and the Board. The Corporate Development and Construction Team has a core of expertise based in London, UK with PMO, Procurement, Development and Construction Corporate functions which are part of a broader Operations Team. As such the successful candidate may be based in London (UK) or Stamford, CT (USA)
This role is focused on supporting the project teams with the implementation and assurance of the Cubico Standards and Construction requirements and will be working closely with different Project and Corporate Teams. The Construction Manager will report to the Head of Development and Construction.
The ideal profile of an individual within the team is open and outward-looking, with experience in renewable power development, construction, commissioning and working with operations. They are self-motivated, with well-rounded interpersonal skills and adept at working in different cultures.
While an engineering/technical background is required, at least as important for the Development and Construction Team members is an ability to understand the commercial drivers of their actions, to have a support and assurance oriented approach and an ability to coach/develop others. They are happy working in a flat, flexible team able to support regional and central offices as required and are internationally mobile.
Key Accountabilities include, but are not limited to the responsibilities of Construction Assurance and Support function. This primarily includes :
- Contributing to Project Development, Acquisitions and validating key construction related elements of the project
- Monitoring and Control of Performance of Projects in Execution, providing support to Project Managers and Construction Managers and;
- Develop and maintain Cubico Corporate Construction knowledge and capabilities.
Therefore the Construction Manager will be involved in different activities though the project lifecycle;
- Before project hand-over from Development to Construction and/or from Acquisitions, the Construction Manager will :
- participate to project reviews and provide recommendations and requirements to the project development/acquisitions team regarding constructability, contract structure, contractors etc.
- review the contracts for the project and support contract negotiations, review the budget assumptions for CAPEX, owner’s cost during construction, incl. FTE requirements for construction management
- Reviewing construction schedules and quality requirements and contribute to the deliverables, preparation of bids and acquisitions.
- Support the definition of the contractual strategy for construction and installation, in connection with the engineering and commercial teams
During project execution, the Construction Manager will :
- Monitor and Supervise the performance of projects in execution
- Provide ad-hoc support to Project Managers and Construction Managers, as needed
- Support Monthly summary of key events on projects in execution
- Support and assist Follow-Up steering of projects, where applicable
- Contribute to the preparation of reporting to the Shareholders.
Construction Corporate knowledge development
- Provide lessons learned on the projects during construction phase and tools for standardization.
- Accountability for analysis and definition of performance indicators (deadlines, over costs, quality and safety) to be monitored on construction portfolio.
- In close collaboration with the procurement function, develops and ensures a solid relationship with key suppliers/contractors across the construction services supply chain.
- Accountability for definition and development of Construction corporate tools and systems to support construction across the different projects.
Skills Knowledge and Expertise
The successful candidate will have:
- B.S. degree in mechanical, electrical, or civil engineering, or related subject – M.S. degree.
- Relevant work experience in the design, development, construction and commissioning of power plants (in particular solar and/or wind power plants)
- Demonstrable experience in construction, in particular in the Construction of Renewable Energy projects.
- Working knowledge of codes and construction practices
- Relevant experience in project and construction quality assurance processes.
- Relevant Experience in Construction management.
- Experience in Project Controls.
- An ability to understand the technical implications of commercial objectives, identifying the right course of action for long term asset value and communicating the commercial impact of technical findings.
- Problem-solver with the creativity to identify solutions and the drive to implement them.
- Excellent communication skills, including building relationships with colleagues and suppliers in numerous countries and cultures.
- Ability to work under pressure and to deliver quality work to tight deadlines.
- Fluent in English.
- Willingness to travel
Advantageous skills and experience
The successful candidate will ideally meet the additional skills and experience.
- Project Management training; preferred, PMP certificate.
- Experience in other renewable energy technologies
- Fluent in Spanish.
- Preference is given to individuals with a background in both wind and PV energy.
The successful candidate will have the following behavioural competencies.
- Drive for excellence: An openness and ability to make suggestions and improve practices for the benefit of the projects.
- Teamwork: the ability to work cooperatively and collaboratively with others to achieve collective goals.
- Results Orientation: The ability to focus on the desired result of one’s own or one’s unit’s work, setting challenging goals, focusing effort on the goals, and meeting or exceeding them.
- Flexibility: Openness to different and new ways of doing things; willingness to modify one’s preferred way of doing things.
- Member of the Operations team.
- Works with Head of Asset Management and regional project management teams.
About Cubico Sustainable Investments
Cubico Sustainable Investments (Cubico), a London-headquartered firm, is one of the world’s leaders in providing renewable energy across the Americas and Europe. Cubico was established in 2015 to manage and invest in renewable energy assets globally. Owned equally by Ontario Teachers’ Pension Plan and PSP Investments, the firm has significant capital to invest and is committed to a long-term growth strategy designed to make it one of the largest and best in class renewable energy investors in the world.
Cubico holds a portfolio of around 4 GW, with assets across the wind, solar PV, solar thermal and transmission line technologies. Covering the whole energy chain from development and construction to operation, the company’s portfolio is located across 13 countries: Brazil, Colombia, Mexico, Uruguay, the United States (USA), France, Greece, Ireland, Italy, Portugal, Spain, the United Kingdom (UK) and Australia.
Cubico is driven by five core values: diversity, respect, integrity, value creation and excellence, which make up our sixth value, DRIVE. These values encourage employees to take pride and satisfaction in their work, strive to achieve their goals and go the extra mile to attain outstanding results. Cubico’s employees are central to its success and, as a result, the company looks for people who believe in its purpose, will take full account of its impact and are motivated to make a positive contribution to the world.
As part of Cubico culture and values, we embrace diversity and equal opportunity. We are committed to building talented teams that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills. The more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. We particularly encourage applications from under-represented minority groups.