To apply for this job please visit es.catapult.org.uk.
Salary: Up to 35k + Benefit’s
Status: Permanent /Full-time
Location: Birmingham City Centre/Flexible
The Energy Systems Catapult
Energy Systems Catapult was set up to accelerate the transformation of the UK’s energy system and ensure UK businesses and consumers capture the opportunities of clean growth. The Catapult is an independent, not-for-profit centre of excellence that bridges the gap between industry, government, academia and research. We take a whole-systems view of the energy sector, helping us to identify and address innovation priorities and market barriers, in order to decarbonise the energy system at the lowest cost.
Background to this Opportunity
At the end of every gas pipe and electricity wire, sits a consumer, paying the bill. We need to understand what they need from energy so we can create a low carbon system they will want. The Catapult’s Consumer Insight Team is here to help others design low carbon products and services people enjoy using, and policies people support. We work with businesses and government on some of the UK’s most exciting low carbon energy innovation projects.
You’ll be joining a wider team of seasoned market researchers, UX designers, service designers and user researchers. We’re lucky enough to have deep consumer insight on how people use energy at home, collected over the last decade primarily for Government. We’ve been using this insight to help businesses bring new products and services to market, give Government the confidence to legislate for a net zero carbon target and investigate how to harness innovation to benefit the vulnerable. Find out more about our work at www.peoplelab.energy.
As a Consumer Research Manager you will have a hands-on role in the delivery of a wide range of innovative research projects, from scoping to completion. You will have a background in ad hoc market research, ideally having recently stepped up into a Research Manager role or being an experienced Senior Research Exec who is ready to progress.
Key Deliverables and Activities
This role reports into the Lead Consumer Researcher.
- Working with Lead Consumer Researchers to design appropriate project scopes that draw on both qualitative and quantitative methods as appropriate.
- Independently designing research materials, including screening criteria, questionnaires and discussion guides, analysis plans.
- Managing online surveys fielded through ESC’s consumer panels.
- Monitoring fieldwork progress to ensure projects deliver on time.
- Undertaking in-depth interviews and moderating focus groups and online communities.
- Analysing and interpreting qualitative & quantitative data, with input from a Lead Consumer Research to finalise the narrative.
- Independently writing reports of findings, for example through PowerPoint reports and written insight papers.
- Undertaking desk research as needed, for example for literature reviews.
- Supporting the maintenance of ESC’s consumer panels for example by keeping databases up to date.
- Play a key role in developing and maintaining strong client relationships through the delivery of good customer service and high-quality work.
- It is expected that you will lead some client engagements as the project lead, whilst for others, you may be working with a Lead Consumer Researcher or another member of staff.
What credentials are we ideally looking for?
- Significant experience in ad hoc market research, ideally in research agencies or consultancies
- Having recently stepped up into a Research Manager role or being an experienced Senior Research Exec who is ready to progress
- Evidence of exposure to all aspects of the market research process from set up through to presentation, in both qualitative and quantitative methods.
- Able to lead a range of projects with minimal supervision.
- Capable of creating documents critical to delivering qualitative and quantitative consumer insight (e.g. recruitment screener, discussion guides, quantitative questionnaires, reporting templates, reports in PowerPoint and Word).
- Strong analytical and insight delivery skills, able to quickly find the story within the data.
- Good communication skills with the ability to work well both as part of a team and alone.
- Excellent organisation and project management skills, able to effectively manage multiple projects simultaneously.
- Previous experience of running panel surveys, and managing panels, is desirable.
- A can-do attitude, able to work with limited supervision to tight deadlines.
- Strong attention to detail and a focus on quality of deliverables.
- Highly curious with the ambition to master a broad range of approaches including complex quantitative techniques.
- Experience in the energy sector is an advantage, though not essential.
- Experience working with user centred design, field trials, ethnography and/or usability testing would be a benefit.
During lockdown, we have been working remotely and as we begin to focus more on the future, we intend to embrace a new refreshing way to utilise our office in Birmingham City Centre . As a consequence we are developing a flexible approach to the workplace , which ensures we keep some of the benefits of home working whilst enabling the Catapult to operate efficiently, this hybrid way of working may result in the majority of us working from home for a good chunk of the time, merging the best bits of both office and home working.
Would you like to Apply?
Please note that at this time we are unable to provide UK visa sponsorship.
Energy Systems Catapult undertakes innovative and exciting work that will help shape the future of energy, with this in mind we encourage candidates to submit their applications as early as possible, as we do reserve the right to remove this advert or close it to further applications at any point during the recruitment process.
(Strictly No Agencies).
“We are an equal opportunities employer and welcome applications from all suitably qualified persons regardless of race, sex, disability, religion and belief, sexual orientation, or status regarding gender reassignment, marriage and civil partnership, pregnancy and maternity.”
Purpose of the Privacy Statement
The purpose of this Privacy Statement is to make you aware of how and why your personal data will be used during any recruitment process and how long it will usually be retained for. This statement provides you with certain information that must be provided under the General Data Protection Regulation ((EU) 2016/679) (GDPR).
In the recruitment process we, Energy Systems Catapult Limited, are a “Data Controller”. This means that we are responsible for deciding how we hold and use personal data about you.
The Energy Systems Catapult Limited is located at Cannon House 7th Floor, 18 Priory Queensway, Birmingham, West Midlands, England, B4 6BS and can be contacted by email at: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Data Protection Principles
We will comply with data protection law and principles, which means that your data will be:
Used lawfully, fairly and in a transparent way;
Collected only for valid purposes that we have clearly explained to you and not used in any way that is incompatible with those purposes;
Relevant to the purposes we have told you about and limited only to those purposes;
Accurate and kept up to date;
Kept only as long as necessary for the purposes we have told you about;
The Kind of Personal Data we hold about you
In connection with your application for work with us, we will collect, store and use the following categories of personal information about you:
The information you have provided in our application form;
The information you have provided to us in your curriculum vitae and covering letter;
Any information you provide to us during an interview;
Any other information provided by you as part of the recruitment process.
We may ask you for information to allow us to monitor our equal opportunities and diversity performance in recruitment. Also, if you inform us that you have a disability we will keep this information on record to allow us to make reasonable adjustments as needed.
How we will use your Personal Data
We will use the personal data we collect about you to:
Assess your skills, qualifications and suitability for the role;
Carry out background and reference checks, where applicable;
Communicate with you about the recruitment process;
Keep records relating to our hiring processes;
Manage recruitment related activities, which includes setting up and conducting interviews and tests for applicants, evaluating and assessing the results thereto, and as is otherwise needed in the recruitment and hiring processes;
Comply with legal or regulatory requirements.
We will also use information about any disability you may have to consider whether we need to provide appropriate adjustments during the recruitment process.
Such processing is lawful as it is necessary for our legitimate purpose in seeking to attract, evaluate, and select applicants for employment.
Data Sharing: Greenhouse Software Inc
Your personal data will be shared with Greenhouse Software, Inc., a cloud services provider located in the United States of America and engaged by us to help manage our recruitment and hiring process. Accordingly, if you are located outside of the United States, your personal data will be transferred to the United States once you submit it through this site. This transfer will be subject to appropriate additional safeguards under the Privacy Shield so as to comply with EU law.
We will retain your personal data for a period of 12 months after we have communicated to you our decision about whether to appoint you to the role. We retain your personal data for that period so that we can show, in the event of a legal claim, that we have not discriminated against candidates on prohibited grounds and that we have conducted the recruitment exercise in a fair and transparent way. After this period, we will securely destroy your personal data in accordance with applicable laws and regulations.
Your Rights in Connection with Personal Data
Under the GDPR you have the right to request access to your personal data, to request that your personal data be rectified or erased, and to request that processing of your personal data be restricted or transferred.
When you apply for this role, and tick the confirmation box below, you have provided consent for us to process your personal data for the purpose of the recruitment exercise. You have the right to withdraw your consent for processing for that purpose at any time. Withdrawal of consent to process your data may mean that we cannot continue with your application to us.
If you wish to exercise the rights granted to you under GDPR please contact: email@example.com.