To apply for this job please visit peoplesenerg.bamboohr.com.
Who are People’s Energy?
People’s Energy is an ethical energy company and social enterprise serving England, Scotland, and Wales. Founded in 2017, we’re now a medium-sized energy supplier with over 300,000 members (customers) and growing fast.
People’s Energy was created by the people, for the people. We consider ourselves an activist presence in an industry dominated by profit-hungry corporate giants. We believe access to energy is a human right and our aim is to make it affordable for everyone, whatever their means. It drives our core social mission: to end fuel poverty in the UK.
Our approach to running our business is people-focused, too: open, upfront and collaborative. We invite customers to give their feedback directly to our senior team. We cap our directors’ salaries. We pledge to return 75% of our profits to our members as soon as we can sustainably do so. We don’t have external shareholders so we can keep our members front and centre, always. We care about the planet, and are strongly committed to supplying greener energy through renewable electricity.
About the role
We put our people – our customers – first in all that we do. Managing your home energy can be confusing (and maybe even a little dull…), and we want to make it easy, informative, and engaging. Our website is one of the key channels we use to do that, and we’re looking for a creative writer and content strategist to make the very best of it.
You’ll be a content creator and a growth marketer in one. You’ll have solid experience in SEO, but your passion will be for writing clear, engaging and useful content that’s aimed at people, not search engines. You’ll lead the discovery of new content opportunities as well as the optimisation of existing content, develop new content campaigns, and write editorial and customer service content for the website and other channels.
You’ll be brimming with ideas, but you’ll back it up with robust insight and data, informed by your excellent grasp of the latest industry research, techniques, and tools. You’ll know your way around a spreadsheet and will be equally comfortable getting stuck into keyword research as you are putting (digital) pen to paper.
Collaborating closely with marketing, user experience, and development colleagues, you’ll champion communication with customers through content. Adept at stepping into the customer’s shoes, you’ll write with flair and warmth, but not at the expense of readability. You’ll know when to sell, when to be smart and when to keep it simple. You’ll be committed to delivering a cracking content experience and know that empathy is key to that.
What you’ll be doing
- Produce clear, engaging and useful content for our customers, both editorial and for customer service (articles, blogposts, guides and explainers)
- Write marketing campaign copy
- Develop and implement an editorial content strategy, informed by keyword research
- Create and manage an SEO and content calendar
- Proof and edit content, ensuring consistency in grammar, style, voice, and tone across the website
- Conduct competitor audits and analysis
- Proactively identify new opportunities for optimisation to drive increased traffic and conversion rate
- Define strategic keyword targets and carry out content optimisation
- Analyse performance and carry out experiments to increase visibility and engagement
- Set, monitor and report against organic KPIs including traffic and visibility metrics (keyword rankings, featured snippets)
What you’ll bring
- You have extensive experience in content creation, copywriting and content marketing for SEO, with a demonstrable track record of delivering against business objectives.
- You’ll be a brilliant writer and storyteller. You’ll know how to create compelling copy, but without compromising usability or readability.
- You know how to write in a helpful and approachable way across various formats, from landing page copy to email to UX microcopy.
- You can demystify complex processes and information, turn jargon into plain English and bring vitality to topics that some people might find dry.
- You’ll know the nuts and bolts of content optimisation for SEO. You’ll be a keyword research whizz, confident with tools like SEMRush or Ahrefs.
- You layer your creativity over insight and research, leveraging data to direct content strategically for growth and engagement.
- You’re comfortable with analytics and take a test-and-learn approach. You monitor, report and analyse, and learn from what’s worked well and what hasn’t to inform future content decisions and approaches.
- You might not be a technical SEO genius but you’ll be confident with the fundamentals of tech SEO. You’ll be able to review a website crawl and identify basic technical issues, map 301 redirects, advise on information architecture, define URLs and monitor critical aspects of technical performance using Screaming Frog, Search Console and other tools.
- You’ll have basic knowledge of HTML and CSS.
- You’re a keen collaborator with experience of cross-functional team working, having worked alongside writers, designers, marketers and software engineers to deliver content and SEO projects.
We’d like you to:
- Be meticulously attentive to detail, caring that the Ts are crossed and the Is are dotted
- Be able to take a brief and run with it
- Be able to manage your time and work to deadlines
- Be a superb written and verbal communicator, confident at liaising with stakeholders at all levels
- Be proactive, with an appetite for shaping content and SEO strategy
- Be innovative, championing new ideas and new approaches to content and SEO
- Be able to constructively tackle problems and find solutions
- Be able to review results and come up with next steps
At People’s Energy we are committed to ensuring that everyone, no matter race, background, sexuality, gender or any other protected characteristic is supported and afforded equal opportunities in the business. As it says on our website – we are by the people, for the people. We are committed to maintaining a fair and measured recruitment process and our development opportunities are open to all.