Apolitical is a global learning network for government. Our mission is to make government work better for people and the planet. We equip policymakers with the knowledge, skills and community they need to solve the world’s hardest challenges. Our platform is used by more than 100,000 public servants and policymakers in 170 countries, with members ranging from mayors, ministers, and heads of civil services to millennials pioneering digital innovations. Apolitical is backed by mission-driven investors around the world and by prestigious European Union innovation funding. Apolitical’s decision-making and team culture is guided by The Apolitical Leadership Principles and The Apolitical Charter.
This is a full-time role.
We’re looking for a creative, data-driven Content Designer to join the Product team and help drive a user-centric content strategy. Our users post content on Apolitical’s platform to share their experiences of working in government. You’ll work with our team of content creators, user researchers, and product managers to develop content from the community and engage our audience of public servants.
The ideal candidate will have a minimum of 3-5 years’ relevant experience, ideally within product, government, or digital content.
- Content experiments (50% of time) – Testing new ways to encourage busy public servants to contribute valuable content with minimal effort. Designing content recommendations over email and working with growth marketing platforms.
- Editing (30% of time) – Editing a variety of content formats in a fast-paced environment. Contributing ideas on how to scale our content outputs and operations. Applying excellent judgment on how to adapt content standards and guidelines to different contexts.
- User research (10% of time) – Suggesting content ideas based on qualitative and quantitative research with our users. Conducting cohort and retention analysis to inform user insights.
- Content creation (10% of time) – Creating a range of content formats (eg. infographics, quizzes, podcasts, videos, event summaries, resource toolkits) to curate and highlight what public servants are saying on our platform.
- UX research & design: a flair for understanding a user’s journey when they use a product. An ability to help design intuitive, delightful journeys and constantly test them with users.
- Quantitative data analysis, data storytelling, and acting on data collected from analytics tools
- A clear, engaging writing style
- Empathy with the needs, constraints, and motivations of busy, distracted public servants
- Exceptional editing skills. The ability to work at pace, create new editing processes if needed, and quickly learn new editing tools
- Creativity, an entrepreneurial spirit, and a track record of inventing new things
- Efficiency and the ability to meet regular deadlines
- Smart problem-solver. You must be able to take charge and work out the best way to solve problems which are new to the company, whilst constantly questioning the ways in which we can constantly improve our processes.
- Self-aware and adaptable. Our company moves quickly and you will always be doing new things. You need to be self-aware and take charge of your own learning.
- Feedback-driven. You’ll be the type of individual who is always striving to improve and, as a result, is constantly soliciting feedback and actively giving this to your peers and reports. We’re building a candid, open culture and it is critical that this person can celebrate that.
- Kind and a pleasure to work with. Any role in an ambitious fast moving startup will often be be tough and demanding. We require someone who shows good humour and cares about those around them, whilst still getting the hard work done.
It would be great if you also had
- French, Spanish, or Portuguese language skills
- Exposure to government or policy
- Experience in a tech or digital media startup
- Management experience
You will report into the Head of Content Design. You will also work closely with the Growth team given the nature of your role.
(In addition to working with smart, kind people on one of the most important challenges of our time…)
Stock options: Our employee options plan gives you a stake in our vision.
Flexibility: Everyone works differently. Whether it’s early mornings, late nights or a day at home, we support what gives you energy and makes you effective.
Holidays: We have unlimited holidays, trusting people to take what they need when they need. As a restorative reboot, we give everyone on the team the last Friday of every month off.
Office: In normal times we’re based in beautiful Public Hall, in the heart of Westminster and overlooking the River Thames though we have flexibility around remote working
Parental leave: We offer generous maternity, paternity and adoption leave.
Personal development: We offer twice-monthly learning days and have learning and development budgets for books, conferences and courses.
Library: We have a constantly growing library, to which every team member contributes their favourite book. There’s also a bigger library in Public Hall.
Discounts: Exclusive discounts and rewards at over 30,000 brands.
Closing Date: Friday 14 May 2021. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
Salary: £40,000 – £50,000 in line with experience and our team’s progression framework
Please note that all applicants must have an existing right to work in the UK.
Application: Please submit a CV and a content design portfolio. Please also complete the following questions. (No cover letter is required.)
- Describe 3 different tests you could run to bring in content from Apolitical’s community of public servants. These tests can be campaigns, product features, or other ideas.
- For each test in Question 1, describe how you would measure the value and success of the content that’s produced.
- The email below has come into the editor inbox. Write your response.
Hi there, I’d like to publish this article on Apolitical. Please let me know what the process is. Link to article: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1bTi0wuI04xn-ItQqZVK5u8vTgpe2DQu_WngzUAh3MOE/edit?usp=sharing
Kind regards, Layla Tompkins-Khan, Senior Policy Advisor, Ministry of Transportation
NON-DISCRIMINATION AND EQUAL OPPORTUNITY POLICY
Apolitical does not and shall not discriminate on the basis of race, colour, religion (creed), gender, gender expression, age, national origin (ancestry), disability, marital status, sexual orientation, or military status, in any of its activities or operations. These activities include, but are not limited to, hiring and firing of staff, selection of volunteers and vendors, and provision of services. We are committed to providing an inclusive and welcoming environment for all members of our staff, clients, volunteers, subcontractors, vendors and clients.
Apolitical is an equal opportunity employer. We will not discriminate and will take affirmative action measures to ensure against discrimination in employment, recruitment, advertisements for employment, compensation, termination, upgrading, promotions, and other conditions of employment against any employee or job applicant on the bases of race, colour, gender, national origin, age, religion, creed, disability, veteran’s status, sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression.