We’re looking for an amazing writer to open up the world of ESG (Environment, Social, Governance) to regular savers on the street. You’ll work closely with our cross-functional team to support the design and development of a user-centric voting platform.
What we believe
Tumelo is an investor-backed, impact-driven, financial technology firm. In our vision, a decade from now, every investor will be empowered to use their shareholder rights.
We believe the modern shareholder ownership system is broken. Trillions of pounds are invested every year by people who don’t even know what investment means, where their money is going, how it affects the world or their financial outcome, or what they can do about any of that.
We believe investors in the stock market (pension members, retail investors and asset owners, like trustees) should be aware of and connected to the companies they are invested in; should have influence and a voice at those companies; should have access to their shareholder rights. We believe big companies have the power to break or make our planet. What shareholders demand, and hold them accountable for, really matters.
Big change takes time but we are patient and ambitious in equal measure; influencing the system, building a movement, empowering the world. Our mission is to build and scale the technology to make that possible.
What we do
We partner with UK’s largest investment and pension platforms, empowering them to provide their investors with transparency over the companies they own and a shareholder voice on issues they care about, whether that be gender equality, human rights or climate change. We build APIs and beautiful user interfaces to deliver a totally unique user experience. We give platforms better engagement, acquisition and retention, coupled with the power to create a sustainable investment system for us all.
We’re a close-knit, ambitious team. We’re based mostly in and around the South West. We work in an agile manner; championing transparency and flexibility while prioritising open communication. We love food, rounders, board games and team holidays (everything from canvas painting to cliff jumping in Devon).
1. We do our best work to achieve our vision
2. We pull together to achieve more for users & customers
3. We are masters of prioritisation
4. We adapt relentlessly
5. We give each other feedback to move each other forwards 6. We trust each other to drive towards success
This role is a mix of research, content and UX writing. There are two main aspects to the role. 1. Vote writing
2. UX writing
As a vote writer, your role will be aimed towards getting lots of interesting Annual General Meeting (AGM) votes onto our platform – especially during high voting season. The AGM votes you’ll be writing about cover a broad range of issues such as whether a company should align their strategy to the Paris Climate Agreement, or have a more diverse board, or even if the CEO should be paid hundreds of times more than the average employee.
Writing these votes requires:
- Identifying and reading company AGM documents to find interesting votes.
- Researching topics and summarising vote content in Tumelo’s voice in a way that is easy for
users to understand
- Uploading vote content and other information to Tumelo’s back-office platform
- Identifying interesting votes that we can include in our email communication with users
- Finding new sources of information about votes and companies
- Improving the vote finding/writing processes
We’re also looking for a UX writer who can own the copy on our platform – not just the votes it contains but every word a user interacts with. We’ve learned that language is key to helping users understand the impact they can have with our platform and to keep coming back.
We take a content design approach where we don’t just think about the words on the page but the way they are presented and fit with the design.
Who you are:
- You are a talented writer, with the ability to convert complex issues into compelling, engaging copy.
- You love to write.
- You are creative and curious.
- You have an understanding of bias and framing effects in writing
- You have the flexible attitude required in a start-up environment, and the capacity and
willingness to learn and adapt relentlessly.
- You are an exceptional individual who encapsulates our company values.
- You are passionate about social or environmental issues.
- You appreciate the power of good communication; you consider it one of your strengths
already but always trying to improve.
- You are hard-working with a hands-on attitude.
- You can handle high pressure and tight deadlines.
- You have an entrepreneurial, problem-solving spirit.
- You are not afraid to ask for help when you need it.
- You are organised with excellent attention to detail.
- You are a speedy worker who can handle high pressure and a quick turnaround when
deadlines are tight.
- You flourish with autonomy and independence.
- You can reflect and dream big.
It takes all kinds. We are trying to build a team that can conquer every challenge, speak every language, and understand every user. We have an ambitious mission to change the world so we hope to lead by example with a diverse and inclusive team that reflects the world we want to see. For the time being, you must have the right to work in the UK.
These are desirable rather than essential criteria. We welcome applications from people who do not have all the listed criteria but think they have what it takes and a willingness to learn by doing.
- You have researched, investigated and written about complicated or controversial topics.
- You have previously written for a range of different audiences (ideally consumers) and
understand the intricacies of user personas.
- You have previously managed tasks independently while working as part of a team.
- You have experience as a UX writer for a digital platform or website.
- You have previously worked with and have a thorough understanding of MailChimp.
- You have managed social media accounts (preferably Twitter).
If you’re such a superstar, we recognise you can probably work anywhere you want to. But working here, you’ll grow more than you would anywhere else; you will join a team who will appreciate you every day; your contributions will genuinely change our business outcome; and you will be proud to make a lasting, positive impact on the global investment system. And with that, we hope to hear from you!
The finer detail:
• Full-time role preferred
• Flexible times with core communication hours of 10-3
• Flexible working from home with at least 4 days/month in our office • Competitive salary based on experience
• 5% employer pension contribution
• Flexible holiday policy of 33 days incl bank holidays
• Generous company share scheme
• 40-hour workweek
• Initial application (see below)
• Technical interview (30 mins)
• Technical Task (~3 hours)
• Task presentation & self-evaluation (30 mins) • Values-based interview (45 mins)
There will be opportunities to ask questions throughout. If Tumelo sounds a bit like you and if you are excited to ride this rollercoaster alongside us, then please apply
In your first email to us please include:
- An up-to-date CV
- A covering note detailing the life experience that makes you amazing; why you’re good for us
and especially why we’re right for you. This covering note – however short – is essential.
Start date: ASAP