- Primary location: Wimbledon, London, SW19 3TZ
- Hours: full time
- Salary: competitive
- Start date: ASAP
Sunswap is a clean-tech start-up on a mission to decarbonise the global cold chain with state-of-the-art refrigeration systems, cutting edge battery-solar technology and cloud-based analytics solutions.
Sunswap was founded by a team of engineers with a passion for sustainability and technology. Following a recent successful seed round on Crowdcube and with 2 recent grant funded project awards, we are now growing the team to develop our core technology, expand our product portfolio and support the deployment of our first units with customers later this year.
The first Sunswap product is an electric Transport Refrigeration Unit (TRU) which provides a clean, cost-competitive alternative to diesel TRUs. We are also developing a range of other innovative products to lead the move to zero emissions in the transport industry.
The Controls System Engineer will be responsible for the definition, design, delivery and testing of the innovative, real-world control system behind Sunswap’s core technology. This is a great opportunity to be part of building a fast-growing business and exciting environment. You will play a major role in the development of the Sunswap product range.
- Work closely with all engineering departments to define and implement suitable control strategies and functionality.
- Build complex control systems using Matlab and Simulink.
- Test control algorithms and strategies using MIL, SIL and HIL techniques.
- Lead on-system software testing and calibration.
- Analyse and overcome software problems with innovative solutions.
- Support prototype controls harness installations and modifications.
- Articulate complex technical solutions with peers and non-engineering colleagues, such that others can easily understand, build and evolve your ideas.
- Support customer deployments of the Sunswap TRU.
- Passionate about developing and implementing real-world control systems.
- A creative problem solver – you find enjoyment in finding solutions to complex issues.
- Not dependent on process – you are comfortable with doing things differently and ready to challenge us to do the same.
- Comfortable working autonomously – juggling multiple projects and activities at once.
- Not afraid to roll your sleeves up and participate in hands-on work when required and enjoy the practical element of the engineering process.
- An effective communicator – keen to share your opinions and ideas whilst building on others’.
- Customer centric – you see the bigger picture of what we are trying to achieve.
- A pragmatist – you understand the trade-offs between engineering design choices and make decisions that work best for the team and wider business.
- Hands-on – you know how to solder and use electrical build tools and electronic test tools (oscilloscope, function generator).
- A degree in electrical, automotive, aerospace engineering or equivalent.
- Experience in automotive / transport / motorsport / control systems, complying with industry standards, safety processes and certification.
- A thorough understanding of implementing and deploying control functions/systems in Matlab, Simulink and Stateflow.
- Good knowledge of communication standards such as CAN, SPI, I2C and UARTs.
- Experience of testing in MIL, SIL, HIL and on-system environments.
- Model-based, auto-coded software prototyping experience.
- An excellent controls theory background.
- A knowledge of system-level engineering and the interaction between digital, electrical and mechanical systems.
- A good understanding of electronics and battery technology.
Bonus points if you have:
- Knowledge of C-code generation and analysis.
- High-level understanding of embedded coding languages such as: C, C++, python.
- Understanding of Battery Management Systems.
- Experience of developing device drivers, I2C, UARTs, SPI.
- Experience programming microcontrollers.
- System integration experience.
- Knowledge of IoT and edge analytics.
Why you’ll want to work at Sunswap
- We are passionate about the work we do and value learning from each other.
- You’ll contribute directly to the future of sustainable transportation.
- You’ll be part of an inspiring work environment with short lines of communication, flat structures and a great team spirit.
- You’ll work flexibly with remote working and a healthy work-life balance.
- You’ll be creating new things, starting projects from scratch and be exposed to ownership, growth and learning opportunities.
- 5% employer matched pension contribution.
- 25 days + bank holidays.
- Regular company socials.
At Sunswap we want all our employees to feel comfortable bringing their passion, creativity and individuality to work. We value all cultures, backgrounds and experiences, as we truly believe that diversity drives innovation. For us, the right attitude and a desire to learn is essential so we would love to hear from you – even if you don’t meet all of the above.
Join us on our mission to decarbonise the cold chain.