We believe energy should be better – for you and the environment.
We believe energy should be better – for you and the environment. We’re a leading energy technology company providing a better experience for our customers through transparency, honesty and simplicity. Better for the planet, through real long-term investment in renewable generation and a low CO2 future. Better value, by throwing away the old business models of the “Big 6” and instead building a business that’s fit for the 21st century. We make energy green and flexible for consumers, with fair and transparent pricing. Through our home developed platform, cloud-based billing, and sophisticated use of data science, modelling and AI, we’re redefining what is possible in energy.
Our breakthrough Agile tariff has been widely reported as leading the way in energy innovation, and we’re passionate about fairness – we were first to uncover the widespread strategy of energy company tease and squeeze pricing and following on from this campaign, our CEO and Founder Greg Jackson presented evidence in favour of capping energy tariff prices before the bill committee in Parliament.
We already supply 100% renewable energy to nearly 2 million homes and over 15,000 businesses (including Arsenal FC and the Cardiff Blues to help them power their stadiums with 100% renewable energy) throughout Great Britain and we’re also the supplier behind M&S Energy. We’re award winning for our disruptive technology and are delighted to be the only energy supplier to pass the rigorous Which? customer service tests and be their only recommended energy supplier for 4 years in a row.
We also proudly enjoy a 5-star TrustPilot ranking from our customers. We were named the Company that’s done the most in the past year to advance UK renewables at the REA Awards 2019, and most recently, our proudest award, that of Best Company to Work For. Our group includes Octopus Energy, Octopus for Business, Kraken Technology, Octopus Electric Vehicles and Octopus Energy Services as well as our new net zero Centre – Octopus Centre for Net Zero.
We recently secured over £500 million of investment from Origin, Australia’s largest Energy Company andTokyo Gas, to help us continue on our mission.
We are looking for an inquisitive, open-minded person who can apply a systematic approach to problem solving and
would like to join us on some very exciting projects.
We have a serious ambition to help put world on the Net Zero path, with numerous multidisciplinary activities underway, and we need your help. Lots of these projects relate to controlling systems with a large number of components and calculations involved. If you have practical, industry-based experience with Matlab, Simulink or similar applications, and you have knowledge in the field of control theory, then please read on, as you could be very good candidate. To be an excellent candidate, you need to be an innovative thinker with practical approach.
The product range is complex, so you will need to have a passion for learning about new technologies and then adapting them to different applications. Hopefully, you will have a degree in engineering (BSc as a minimum). If you hold a degree in a different field, you will also be considered, as long as you can demonstrate your subject knowledge and the right skills and attitude
It is not only pure engineering knowledge that we are looking for, as we are very keen on candidates with a
positive attitude. We want you to feel you that you are contributing to an important mission and we want you to
develop yourself. You will have excellent training opportunities and a fantastic place to grow as a
What you’ll have
- Control systems experience
- Knowledge of Control Theory
- PID controllers
- Experience working within a heavily-regulated environment, e.g. automotive, medical, etc
- Knowledge about thermodynamics – essential!
- Machine learning knowledge – beneficial
- Communication protocols – beneficial
- Programming languages C/C++, Python – desired
- Energy market knowledge – beneficial
What you’ll love about us
- Our company culture – we won best company to work for in 2019 and our CEO, Greg has recorded a podcast about our culture and how we empower our people
- Flexible working environment – genuine work life balance here, we are in the top 5 companies in the UK, we treat you as a human, and do our best to make work and life merge smoothly together
- Relaxation – we don’t count your holidays here, we work hard, and so we know you need to play hard as well (within reason of course)
- Equity Options Scheme – you own your own part of the business, share options in the whole Octopus Energy Group so we all work together towards success
- Office culture – have a certain tech requirement? We’ll do our best to get it. Our offices are also stocked with fruit, breakfast, great coffee and soft drinks. Weekly on a Friday we all get together (this happens virtually too) for company updates and drinks – we call it Family Dinner
- Social Events – we sponsor YeoValley’s summer festival, valleyfest, every year for our big offsite Summer party (we take our kids too) and we also aim to have 3 parties a year
- Parents – get access to tax free childcare and maternity and paternity pay. We’re always looking for new ways to support parents, during lockdown we created OctoKids TV to help keep your kids occupied and entertained
- Your development is important – we support and help with development including internal and external courses, learning, study support etc, all bespoke to you
- SmartPension Scheme – employer 5% employee 3% and you can contribute more
- Cycle to Work Scheme – to help lower your carbon footprint whilst good for your health
If this opportunity sounds like you and you have a genuine passion for what we’re doing at Octopus Energy then we’d love to hear from you.
At Octopus, we’re looking for genuinely decent people who are honest and empathetic. Our commitment is to provide equal opportunities, a diverse and inclusive work environment, and fairness for everyone. You are welcome to apply no matter your race, gender identity, sexuality, age, family or civil status, disability, religion, or ethnicity.