To apply for this job please visit www.tokamakenergy.co.uk.
Location: Milton Park, Abingdon
Job type: Permanent
The continuing development has now reached the point where spherical tokamak and high temperature superconductor (HTS) technology can be combined into an integrated, energy-producing fusion device. This will involve cooling superconductors to very low temperatures just a few cm away from hot plasma at a temperature of millions of degrees. Very large amounts of heat will have to be removed, requiring the specification, design, and installation of large-scale cryogenic plant. We need cryogenic engineers who can combine detailed understanding of heat transfer for cooling the HTS with a wider appreciation of the thermodynamics of large scale cryogenic refrigeration, and confidence in dealing with external companies and subcontractors.
- Thermodynamic analysis, modelling, and design;
- Management of cryogenic system projects;
- Liaison with key external suppliers and subcontractors;
- Liaison with stakeholders internal to Tokamak Energy;
- Safety analysis and safety case preparation for cryogenic plant and systems, and participation in formal safety reviews;
- Supporting commercialisation of the company’s HTS magnet technology;
- Design and development of electrical current feedthroughs and cryogenic electrical power distribution systems inside the tokamak.
- Degree or equivalent experience in a relevant Engineering or Physics based discipline.
- Demonstrated experience working with cryogenic systems, compressed gases, or vacuum technology.
- Thorough understanding of the physical principals of thermodynamics, heat transfer, and fluid mechanics, with the ability to apply this knowledge to real engineering problems.
- High degree of self-organisation, motivation, and commitment to working to defined timescales.
- Strong communication skills, with the ability to work in a mixed team of engineers, physicists, designers, and technicians designing innovative and complex devices.
Desirable selection criteria
- Demonstrated track record of innovation, creativity and project delivery in a complex engineering / technology development environment.
- A broad engineering experience would be useful, as cryogenics interfaces with many disciplines within Tokamak Energy.
- Some experience working with large scale cryogenic plant would be very beneficial.
- Project management experience.
- 25 days holiday (plus bank holidays)
- Company pension scheme
- Eligible for company share option scheme after 1 years’ service
- Company bonus scheme, discretionary, dependant on performance
- Private medical insurance after 3 months service
- Cycle to work scheme
Please note: Only candidates with the relevant skills and experience will be contacted regarding this position. If you do not hear back from us within 10 days of submitting, your application then unfortunately you have been unsuccessful. However, we may contact you in the future to discuss other opportunities.
No terminology in the advert or job description is intended to discriminate on the grounds of a person’s gender, marital status, race, religion, colour, age, disability or sexual orientation. Every candidate will be assessed only in accordance with their merits, qualifications and abilities to perform the duties of the job.
How to apply
If you are passionate about accelerating the development of fusion power and want to join our dynamic team, please send your CV with a covering letter detailing your experience to email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org
Important information for candidates
Please note that the appointment of the successful candidate will be subject to standard pre-employment screening, as applicable to the post. This will include right-to-work, proof of identity and references.
Please note that any personal data submitted to Tokamak Energy as part of the job application process will be processed in accordance with the GDPR and related UK data protection legislation, for more information regarding GDPR please see: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/guide-to-the-general-data-protection-regulation
Equality of Opportunity
Entry into employment with the Tokamak Energy and progression within employment will be determined only by personal merit and the application of criteria which are related to the duties of each post and the relevant salary structure. In all cases, ability to perform the job will be the primary consideration. No applicant or member of staff shall be discriminated against because of age, disability, gender reassignment, marriage or civil partnership, pregnancy or maternity, race, religion or belief, sex, or sexual orientation.