Onto is the all-inclusive electric car subscription changing the rules of the game for car ownership.
We are a high-growth tech scale-up, having launched 4 years ago with significant funding from top-tier VCs, most recently raising £125 million of investment in July 2021 through a Series B funding round. Over the last 12 months we have averaged 30% month-on-month growth and we have the largest electric fleet in the UK, with over 3,500 active subscribers in August 2021. Our team has grown dramatically, with offices in London, Leamington and Birmingham with overseas expansion planned for 2022.
By 2030 the UK government has declared that all new cars must be electric. At Onto we believe that change can’t come soon enough and we want to give everyone the experience of driving an electric car whilst also doing the right thing for our planet.
Over the last 10 years other industries such as media and food delivery have already shown that customers love the benefits of a subscription service. One industry that hasn’t moved forward so quickly is how people purchase cars. 2 out of 3 UK drivers want their next car to be electric, but it’s daunting. Last year out of the 2.3m cars sold in the UK, 90% of new cars in the UK were sold through finance, with a multi-year commitment, yet 70% of consumers decided against paying the final balloon payment to own the car at the end of the contract.
Drivers want more flexibility and the convenience of paying monthly but without long-term personal finance contracts or the hassle of arranging insurance, servicing, tax or repairs.
At Onto, for a flat monthly fee, customers get the latest electric cars with insurance, servicing, breakdown cover and free public charging at over 12,000 locations in the UK. There is no deposit and only a 1-month commitment. Hassle-free, emissions-free and affordable driving.
How does it work? Simple. It’s a fully digital service. Sign up and we’ll deliver your car to your door within 72 hours. You just need to unlock your car with the Onto app and enjoy your drive!
Onto was formed in 2017 by co-founders Rob Jolly (CEO) and Dannan O’Meachair (VP People). Originally formed after Rob saw the challenge of converting people over to electric vehicles while working in the Corporate Strategy area of Jaguar Land Rover. After a few pivots in strategy and company name changes, Onto was born.
About the role
You will be a key member of the CS team working alongside your peers the CSM to lead on the development and implementation of a coaching culture from the induction of team members to be fully-fledged members of the team. You will ensure that all documentation is in place and maintained and updated in line with business needs and changes. The Customer Service Trainer responsibilities include facilitating on-the-job coaching, developing educational material and organizing induction training sessions for new team members joining the team in the roles of Customer Service Associate (CSA) and Customer Service Executive (CSE).
This will be the first role within the developing Onto Academy providing an opportunity for the individual to develop outside of this role as the Academy develops and grows with the business.
Who you are
You will be someone who has a natural flair for coaching and the development of others. You should have proven experience to demonstrate your ability to document processes and procedures in a format to encourage self-serve for both the team and Onto members. You should be able to demonstrate effective coaching skills and be able to understand how and when to adapt these to meet the needs of individual learning styles. You need to be experienced and aware of the processes both internally and externally to the CS team to be able to effectively adapt your knowledge and experience to turn this knowledge into training guides and knowledge base articles to develop and coach the team.
What you will do
- Develop digital educational material (e.g. videos and manuals), which can be used internally and externally with our partners.
- Organize classroom-style seminars about product features and Onto processes and procedures, including awareness of the wider business and their roles and responsibilities
- Conduct role-playing activities to develop interpersonal skills (e.g. negotiation, teamwork and conflict management)
- Identify individual and team skills gaps, developing a skills matrix that can be used and managed in conjunction with the Customer Service Managers (CSM)
- Schedule regular training sessions which cover areas of development needed across the team (weekly)
- Ensure new hires take on basic module-based training courses, including Onto product and process-specific and soft skills such as communication and troubleshooting skills
- Liaise with CSMs and encourage on-the-job coaching, compliment their side by side and remote monitoring with a quarterly target for each team member and share the outcomes, working with the CSM to build any action plans and give feedback to individuals. Agree on areas for development and coaching needs and take ownership where required
- Coordinate mentorship/buddy programs for new customer service representatives
- Assess the impact of each educational course on staff performance and cohort satisfaction
- Maintain updated training records for all team members and own the plan for this showing at least 1 months future topics, capture and encourage team members to contribute to the topics going forward.
Measures of success
- All training and processes are documented into an easy to use reference material that can be used in induction and with the team for ongoing self-learning and support on day to day interactions with customers.
- Completed each quarter a review of 3 calls per team member and 3 hours side by side coaching and document and share the outcome and results with the CSM and team member. Complete a targeted training/coaching plan for the next quarter for the individual and include any team-wide issues in the department training plan
What we offer you
Fantastic growth opportunities and autonomy in a high-growth startup
- An environment where you are empowered and you can drive forward change.
- Regular performance reviews and based on performance, great career development opportunities as the business scales.
- Competitive salary according to experience, plus the opportunity for share options
- 25 days holiday (pro-rata) + bank holidays
- Team Socials (virtual ATM)
- Onto car salary sacrifice scheme
- Retail, travel & cinema discounts via Benefits Hub
Salary: £24,000 – £27,000