Wefarm is the world’s largest platform connecting the small-scale farming community. Millions of farmers, retailers, and brands come together on Wefarm to grow their businesses.
Small-scale farming is one of the largest and most important industries in the world, with over one billion people globally involved in it. We’re working towards connecting this community so small-scale farmers can gain a better position in global agricultural supply chains. Some of the world’s leading VCs are backing us on this mission, including True Ventures in Silicon Valley.
Since our launch in 2015, we’ve grown to serve over two million farmers across Kenya, Uganda, and Tanzania. Our platform has facilitated the (free) exchange of over 18 million messages to share knowledge, generated over $5 million in marketplace sales, and sold nearly half a million products. So far, we’ve partnered with 100+ brands to give our members fair prices on the quality products they are looking for.
Our next milestone is to have 100 million farmers benefiting from Wefarm. Join us and be part of our mission to build an ecosystem for global agriculture, with the farmer at the centre.
We are looking for a Data Analyst with experience in data science algorithms and Statistics to join our Business Intelligence team. You will have responsibility for extracting value from the vast amount of data generated by the interaction of millions of members on our platform and sales through our Marketplace. You will extract actionable insights that guide strategic plans, as well as build appropriate forecast models that help to drive a fast growing startup forward
The role reports to Head Business Intelligence, and will have active collaboration with the Growth team, as well as strong links to other data scientists within the business.
Wefarm currently sends and receives millions of messages per month, leading to tens of millions of independent system events. In addition, Wefarm operates an evolving marketplace that connects buyers and sellers of agricultural inputs. You will be responsible for extracting value from the unique data generated by this rich ecosystem, and be comfortable communicating your findings in a relatable, easy-to-understand way.
There is a rich, vibrant, and open culture within Wefarm. Even though we are separated geographically, we maintain a highly collaborative and communicative outlook and are keen to maintain this as we expand into new territories.
- Apply advanced statistical models and data science algorithms on large and small, structured and unstructured data sets, to guide decision-making on Wefarm’s operational strategy
- Build and maintain predictive (forecast) models covering key metrics within our marketplace
- Build and maintain clustering / segmentation, pattern analysis and other models, covering multiple facets of the Wefarm ecosystem
- Actively seek and ingest external data repositories relevant to Wefarm operations, combining these with internal data to guide strategy and support ongoing operations
- Work closely with Data Engineer to define, implement and manage appropriate schemas on Snowflake
- Present findings and and summarise analysis using variety of tools: Tableau, R / Python visualisations, slide / powerpoint presentations, internal blogs, and others
- Razor-focused on personal and team OKRs to ensure work is aligned with company goals
- Extensive experience in statistical modelling and data science
- Solid grounding in statistical theory, including probability and optimisation, and their application within a business environment
- Knowledge and commercial experience using of data science algorithms, including but not limited to clustering, prediction, pattern analysis to identify and communicate business problems and possible solutions
- Strong project management and organizational skills
- Experience working with cross-functional teams and ability to thrive in a dynamic, fast-paced, startup environment
- Able to clearly articulate and communicate with non-technical team members
- Required: SQL (Snowflake and/or PostgreSQL); Python and/or R
- Excited to learn new technologies / programming languages (e.g Clojure)
- Bonus: Familiarity with agricultural data and statistics; econometrics
- Excited about Wefarm’s mission
Rewards package and remuneration
The total rewards package and remuneration will be based on experience and potential, but is highly competitive and will include share options. We believe in our team being not only the executors of Wefarm’s visions but the makers and owners of it!
As a global business, travel is essential to who we are, and will be a perk of the job as far as global and regional conditions allow. In addition, we have a generous pension package, flexible working environment, and we value spending time together as circumstances allow.
We will review applicants on an ongoing basis, unfortunately we will only be able to respond to shortlisted candidates.