The Climate Group is seeking a Data Protection Manager to assist the Climate Group with the implementation of a privacy governance framework across the Climate Group. This interesting role will require you to work with many colleagues and teams in different parts of the Climate Group, in the UK, US and India and also with our external partners. We are looking for a self-starter with experience in data protection for a commercial or a not-for-profit organisation.
About the Climate Group
The Climate Group drives climate action. Fast. Our goal is a world of net zero carbon emissions by 2050, with greater prosperity for all.
We focus on systems with the highest emissions and where our networks have the greatest opportunity to drive change. We do this by building large and influential networks and holding organisations accountable, turning their commitments into action.
We share what we achieve together to show more organisations what they could do. We are an international non-profit organisation, founded in 2004, with offices in London, New Delhi and New York. We are proud to be part of the We Mean Business coalition.
About the role
The Data Protection Manager will form part of the Governance/Compliance Team, within Operations in our London Head Office and will report to the Legal Adviser. The successful candidate will also work closely with colleagues in IT and Digital Marketing in the London and overseas offices.
Key responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
- Assist the Legal Adviser with the implementation of a privacy governance framework across the Climate Group.
- Assist with the implementation of GDPR actions including the completion of legitimate interest assessments, retention schedules and risk assessments.
- Assist with the implementation of internal training programmes.
- Prepare/review, oversee and maintain a Register of Activities.
- Assist the Legal Adviser as a point of contact for data protection queries and escalate as necessary.
- Assist the Legal Adviser in reviewing data sharing arrangements with other organisations and putting in place appropriate documentation
- Assist the Legal Adviser in reviewing privacy policies and updating as necessary.
- Participate in data management projects as necessary and provide support with the regular management of privacy and information security
You will be able to demonstrate proven capabilities in the following areas:
- Substantial experience in data protection/data privacy
- Ability to apply data privacy expertise in specific situations and provide pragmatic solutions whilst maintaining high privacy and data protection standards
- Understanding of European data protection laws and practices and an in-depth understanding of the GDPR
- Adaptable, proactive and enthusiastic about privacy, able to multitask and prioritise in line with the business need
- Integrity and high professional ethics, commitment to quality
- Highly organised, accurate and keen to develop knowledge
- Team player who can quickly understand and manage complex situations.
- Excellent communication skills with key stakeholders, data subjects, and other controllers and processors across national boundaries and cultures
- Professional data qualification
- Law Degree or Solicitor/Barrister
You will be employed at our London headquarters. Since COVID-19, our London office has been working mostly from home with the ability to use our temporary office near Borough for key meetings with colleagues. From September, subject to government guidelines we envisage to return to office-based working with flexible blended approach (e.g. 3 days in the office, 2 days working from home). We are also in the process of moving offices to a new permanent London location (Zone1). Until then, this role can be done remotely but will require the post holder to be based in the UK.
Terms & Conditions
This is a part-time fixed term 4-month position (21h per week). The salary for this position is £19,200 – £21,599 (FTE: £32,000 – £35,999 per annum), based on experience. In addition to the salary, the role holder will benefit from:
- 25 days’ holiday pro rata, plus public holidays;
- 10% non-contributory pension scheme following three months’ service
- Life Assurance
- Wellbeing allowance
- Season ticket loan
- Bike loan
How to apply
Use the ‘Apply’ button to apply for this vacancy. Should you require further information, please contact Sahra Magnin, Legal Adviser at SMagnin@theclimategroup.org
Applications for this position should come in the form of a CV and cover letter. The expected closing date for submitting your application is 13th June 2021.
The requisite eligibility criteria, or work visa to work in the UK are a requirement for this position and no relocation and/or sponsorship costs will be borne by the Climate Group.