The OVO Group’s purpose is to drive progress towards net zero carbon living. To reach Plan Zero, we need everyone to come together – not just as customers buying energy, but as members with a common goal. As part of this ambitious plan, our goal is to become the ‘Leading Employer in the UK’ by 2030. If you think you could be the talent we’re looking for, then come and join the adventure!
We launched in 2009 with a mission to change energy for the better. Since then, we’ve welcomed over a million members, planted a million trees, and set our sights on helping save the planet.
As a Group, we’re working to become a net zero carbon business by 2030, while helping our OVO Energy members halve their carbon footprints at the same time.
Green energy and technology are great tools to fight the climate crisis with. But it’s people power that will rewrite history.
So we’re building a zero carbon team inside and out. Of people who share our values, feel inspired by our mission, and want to make change happen. When you work for OVO, it’s not just a job. It’s the work of a lifetime. And we want the sharpest minds to help.
Up for the challenge?
Where in the world of OVO will I be working?
We’re looking for a Data Scientist with a strong analytical background, and hands-on experience creating data science products within a retail environment. You need to be highly inquisitive and have the ability to deep dive when solving problems whilst keeping sight of the big picture. You will be creative in your approach to problem solving and will have a developed attention to detail that enables you to maintain rigor and avoid over-reliance on intuition when analysing data.
If successful, you’ll be part of our centralised Data Science team, primarily working on our SSE branded Smart Metering projects.
You may also be required to contribute to other data science or analytics initiatives and will play a key role in helping technical and non-technical partners make data-driven decisions.
What will I be doing?
- Utilise data tools and programming languages (SQL, Python, Github) to both carry out analysis and develop more sophisticated models. Through a good understanding of engineering principles, design, productionise and test these models.
- Assess different approaches and use your data science knowledge to select the most appropriate. Using these same skills, rigorously assess the validity of any results and ensure that conclusions are understood by, and meaningful for, the relevant partners.
- Work as part of a team delivering against a set of project goals. Collaborate and communicate effectively to ensure we’re on track to hit our goals.
- Work with partners to understand their data science needs and deliver projects (or offer guidance) to drive their strategy.
- Automate, monitor and maintain data science products by following best practice in your use of tooling, alerting and version control.
- Communicate and present complex data to audiences of all technical levels. Use appropriate data visualisations to tell a story with data.
- Play an active role in data science community activities that stimulate a culture of collaboration, openness, and innovation.
- Contribute to identifying potential opportunities and risks of future data science projects.
Is this the job for me?
- Practical data science experience within a retail environment
- A good level of experience using both SQL and Python.
- Ability to work independently and to collaborate with team members
- Ability to lead and communicate effectively with multiple partners
Ideally you will have…
- An understanding of the UK energy market.
- Worked previously as an analyst/scientist in a retail environment.
- Experience using Google BigQuery, Google Cloud and/or Google AI Platform (or similar, for example AWS).
- Experience with Apache Airflow (or similar workflow management platforms).
- Experience using Tableau (or similar)
- Experience mentoring more junior data scientists
- Although we are primarily working on the google cloud, you may be asked to work from time to time on our legacy systems: SSRS, SPSS, R
- Experience building NLP models would be advantageous
From us you’ll get
- An annual discretionary bonus
- 4% of your salary to spend on flexible lifestyle benefits
- 5% matched employer contribution to your pension
- 25 days holiday + 1 for your birthday
- And many more…
(*) Please note that certain benefits kick-in once you have passed probation which can be up to 6 months after your start date.
We want the best people
At OVO, we empower our people to have choice around where and when they work – flexible working arrangements can be discussed for all of our roles. Please speak to the Talent Acquisition team for more info.
We’re keen to meet people with varied backgrounds – our view is the more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. We want to build teams which represent a variety of experiences, perspectives and skills, and we recognise talent on the basis of merit and potential.
We understand some people may not apply for jobs unless they tick every box. If you’re excited about joining us and think you have much of what we’re looking for, even if you’re not 100% sure… we’d love to hear from you.