ROLE CAN BE BASED IN LONDON-AMSTERDAM-PARIS-MUNICH-BERLIN
SYSTEMIQ is a different kind of company. Our purpose is to catalyse good disruptions in critical economic systems, with a current focus on land use/forestry, energy, and materials/circular economy. These disruptions are not only vital to the future of humanity and our planet, they also open up immense opportunities for the businesses that drive them. The UN Global Goals and the Paris Agreement have set the targets we must reach to protect the earth and make sure everyone in the growing global population has a chance to prosper. But, so far, most change has been incremental. We need to transform economic systems much faster to hit the targets and stop the degradation of natural resources.
SYSTEMIQ connects the right people, ideas, technologies, and capital to transform economic systems. We do this through four five activities:
- Convene and support coalitions of leaders to shape policies and business strategies that will rapidly transform economic activity
- Work with companies that want to be pioneers in and drivers of change towards more sustainable systems
- Co-create and incubate the market solutions most likely to build regenerative economic systems
- Invest our own venture capital and expertise in opportunities with the biggest potential to drive rapid system change
- Direct larger pools of capital into regenerative economic systems, so that these scale and multiply.
In order to deliver in these areas, we recruit and develop distinctive and varied individuals who strive to achieve our mission, challenge the status quo and act as change leaders
The Energy Transitions Commission (ETC)
The Energy Transitions Commission (ETC) is a global coalition of over 40 leading global executives from across the energy landscape (energy companies, energy-intensive industries, equipment providers, investors, environmental NGOs and academics). Its mission is to define how to most effectively transition to net-zero carbon energy systems that also enable economic prosperity, and how to accelerate the required action from public and private decision-makers. The ETC’s secretariat is hosted by SYSTEMIQ.
The Mission Possible Partnership (MPP)
In 2021, the Energy Transitions Commission contributed to the launch of the Mission Possible Partnership (MPP), an alliance of climate leaders focused on supercharging efforts to decarbonize some of the world’s highest emitting industries in the next 10 years, in partnership with RMI, We Mean Business coalition and the World Economic Forum. MPP aims to provide a forum to trigger a net-zero transformation in seven harder-to-abate sectors (chemicals, concrete/cement, steel, aluminium, trucking, shipping and aviation) through collaboration between the most ambitious industry leaders in those value chains.
The sector decarbonisation analysts will be hired by SYSTEMIQ and positioned within the ETC/MPP team. We are currently looking for several analysts, who will primarily focus on one sector (aviation or metals). The sector decarbonisation analysts will play a critical role in shaping and driving industry-led progress on the transition to carbon-neutral industry. The analysts will be responsible for driving analyses on key dimensions of the sector decarbonisation agenda for those sectors, as well as coordinating and collaborating closely with partner organisations, relevant internal and external experts, and senior business representatives.
Analysis and thought leadership:
- Develop high-quality quantitative and qualitative analysis
- Synthesize analyses to inform discussions with industry
- Articulate analytically robust, industry-backed, high-ambition narratives
- Refine analyses and narratives in close collaboration with industry players
- Produce reports, workshop materials, briefs, technical papers, and other materials
- Prepare and drive discussions between industry representatives to shape a high-ambition consensus
- Foster and nurture relationships across a broad stakeholder community
- Navigate, manage and deconflict divergent and complex differences of opinion amongst stakeholders, with the support of the ETC’s leadership team
- Represent ETC in external meetings, workshops and conferences
- Support the Head of Industry Decarbonisation in ensuring day-to-day management of multiple simultaneous workstreams and competing priorities
- Orchestrate stakeholder interaction, wider industry event participation and workshop design
- Ensure regular progress reporting
- Appetite for managing a mix of project management, analytical and outreach activities on a day-to-day basis
- Experience of working on mobility, industry or energy decarbonisation issues
- Expertise in the aviation or metals sector – or appetite and ability to go through a steep learning curve over a short period of time
- Proven problem-solving and analytical skills and ability to deliver high-quality quantitative and qualitative analytics on a range of different topics
- Excellent communications skills:
- Proven ability to shape and articulate compelling narratives
- Excellent writing skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills:
- Ability to build and manage trusting relationships and partnerships
- Aptitude for managing sensitive group dynamics
- Comfortable in presenting and facilitating in a range of settings
- Experience and appetite for working in a fast-moving operating environment
- Track record of work relating to industrial decarbonisation
- Experience working across corporate, NGO and policymaker domains
- Experience working in an international environment
- Experience interacting with senior executives and decisionmakers
- Experience developing thought leadership for stakeholder influencing purposes
- Experience working in a collaborative setting (e.g. coalitions / partnerships)
- Knowledge of the energy, mobility, industry and/or climate policy environment in Europe, India, China and the US
We offer the opportunity to be part of a high calibre, driven, and friendly team. We are keen to receive applications from all parts of the global community. You must have the right to work in the location you are applying for.
Line Manager: Alasdair Graham, Head of Industry Decarbonisation