Location: Contract: Salary: Role:
£25,450 per annum plus generous holiday and other benefits
This is a Designer Level 1 role, equivalent to a Junior Designer.
We’re looking for an ambitious Designer who is passionate about the environment, to join our purpose driven team. You’ll work closely with the Creative Director, Designers and the wider team to provide design support for a broad range of Hubbub’s environmental campaigns.
A Designer at Hubbub gets involved in all aspects of a campaign which may include creating graphic materials for a campaign or working with collaborators to design an installation.
On a typical day you might research an issue to gather insights and generate ideas, or design the user journey for someone engaging with our campaigns or events. You might also artwork existing campaign materials or be on the ground testing the work you’ve created to make sure it has maximum impact.
We’re looking for someone who has a great sense of humour and wants to create and test disruptive, playful ways to use design to encourage more sustainable ways of living. This role will require working confidently to multitask across campaigns, both independently and also within a team, amongst a fast-paced environment.
RESPONSIBILITIES WILL INCLUDE:
- Research and gathering insights: to inform the development of campaigns, designs and products that can create behaviour change. This could include setting up workshops and focus groups to meet and understand the audiences we want to engage with, online research and visiting the communities we work in.
- Design thinking: being able to help project teams define the challenges they want to address within campaigns, and offer ideas that are based on research and insight, and follow them through from concept to testing and creation.
- Art working and graphic design: supporting both the reworking of existing campaign materials as they are scaled, and designing of new campaign materials. This will require confidence in using InDesign, Illustrator and Photoshop, and an excellent ability to stick to brand guidelines.
- Innovation: bringing new ideas to the organisation and confidence in challenging existing
ideas and approaches.
- Supporting the team to refine and test communications written for campaigns and design
materials. This will include ensuring communications are aligned with Hubbub’s tone: being playful, positive and accessible to a wide range of audiences. This will require excellent written and spoken English.
- Supporting marketing activities, including concepts and designs for social media materials.
- Strong proficiency in Adobe Creative Cloud: InDesign, Illustrator, Photoshop, Bridge is essential. Proficiency in After Effects is desired but not essential.
- A passion for purposeful design, to engage and communicate with people in a way that’s sociable, playful and knowledgeable.
- A strong creative flair and an ability to generate concepts that align with brand guidelines
- Excellent written communication skills.
- Great organisation skills with attention to detail.
Hubbub’s success and distinctiveness rests on the quality of our people. No matter where they are in their career, our employees are and should continue to be:
- Intellectually and politically curious and engaged
- Proud of the work they do
- Upbeat, motivated by difficult challenges, and tenacious in solving them
- Creative, innovative and playful
- Team players, sharing success and solving issues and challenges collaboratively
- Organised, dedicated and conscientious, with fantastic attention to detail
- Flexible, willing and able to respond to constant change and challenge
- Committed to communicating in a way that is compelling, clear, accurate and accessible
Before 23:59 on Wednesday 28th April 2021, please send the following to email@example.com and put which job you’re applying for in the email title:
- A cover letter setting out why you have the experience, qualities and passion for the role.
- A CV and if you have one, a portfolio.
- A brief outline (no more than 200 words) of how you would go about gathering
insights and understanding of an audience unfamiliar to you.
ABOUT HUBBUB AND OUR CULTURE
Our vision is to create a world where everyone is an environmentalist, (whether they realise it or not). We inspire ways of living that are good for the environment, by designing campaigns that make environmental action desirable. We disrupt the status quo to raise awareness, nudge behaviours and shape systems. We do this with knowledge and playfulness… and we won’t make you feel bad.
We’re committed to promoting diversity in our organisation, through the projects we run and the culture we create. We recognise how important inclusivity is, how much of a problem the lack of diversity in the environmental sector is and how much still needs to be done. We’re keen to address this.
We provide equal opportunities within our organisation and strongly encourage people of all backgrounds to apply for roles. We are always striving for a culture that is open, listening to and learning from perspectives that broaden our understanding and facilitate better creative problem solving.
Give a damn about the environment: it’s at the heart of everything we do because we’re committed to taking action on climate change and the environment. We care about the difference we make and are honest about our impact.
Curious: have an interest in people, places, trends, politics and the world we live in. Asks questions, seeks knowledge and has self-direction to discover the answers. Has an eye for detail and is intuitive, seeing opportunities.
Entrepreneurial: acts like a leader and embraces context and freedom over control and process. Nimble and brave enough to take risks, trusting instincts to experiment without fear. Proud of independent spirit. Takes initiative and responsibility.
Creative: re-imagining everything. Thinking outside the box. Trusting intuition and bringing magic to the everyday. Continually challenging our own status quo.
Playful: Positive and playful to connect to people, catch imaginations and make people smile, because the world is serious enough. Believes in the power of using humour to create change.
HOW WE WORK – THE HUBBUB WAY
- Discover: We listen, observe and ask questions to gain insight and knowledge to understand the people and places we want to inspire. We use our intuition and experience to identify opportunities to instigate action on environmental issues.
- Collaborate: we believe the cause is bigger than the organisation. We build collaborations of organisations, big and small, who share our ambition.
- Design: We design campaigns that make environmental action desirable. We use behaviour change techniques, positive language and highlight the benefits. We use good design, seasonal hooks and a splash of playfulness.
- Experiment: we constantly experiment, measure and adapt what we do, to find out what has the biggest impact.
- Scale: We share what we discover, the good and the bad. When it works, we open source our ideas and build transformative opportunities that enable people to replicate and scale to have a bigger impact.