Kind are a digital agency with purpose. We focus on delivering strategy-led digital projects for socially-minded businesses, and hopefully making the world a little better at the same time.
We’re looking for a web developer with a strong front-end focus. You’ll have a couple of years experience (maybe more), an eye for detail and a keen interest in doing things right.
If you’re interested in asking “Why?” and “How?”, rather than simply doing as you’re told, you could be the person for us.
What you’ll be doing
You’ll be working on a variety of digital projects for our growing, socially-responsible client base. That means:
- Working closely with our design team to create beautiful, considered user experiences that work across devices
- Building and maintaining websites in CraftCMS, in particular template integration with Twig
- Making sure we stick to performance, accessibility and code quality standards and processes
- Keeping your eyes and ears open for ways we can refine those same standards and processes
- Taking part in regular code review with your peers
- Participating in daily “stand-up” production meetings and monthly company strategic reviews
How we work
We take pride in the way we work. On the development side that means:
- Working with our clients rather than just for them
- Experimenting & trying things out
- Iterating quickly in small, multidisciplinary teams. No silos here
- Using best-practice development techniques like Mobile-first RWD and styleguide driven development
- Using modern tools like PHP8, Webpack and VueJS
More than a portfolio or a checklist of skills, we’re looking for someone self-sufficient who takes pride in their work and is always keen to improve it.
If you don’t quite match the description below but think we could be a good fit for each other, get in touch. It’s far easier to learn skills on the job than the right attitude to work.
The baseline skills for this role are:
- An excellent level of standards-based HTML + CSS
- Familiarity with CSS preprocessors and frameworks, such as Tailwind, Sass and PostCSS
- A working knowledge of design and UX principles
- At least a basic level of PHP literacy and familiarity with LAMP/LEMP stacks
- A working knowledge of accessibility standards (WCAG 2.1) and APIs (WAI-ARIA)
It would also be fantastic if you have knowledge of any of these tools and techniques too:
- CraftCMS experience (or another CMS that uses Twig)
- Command line build tools, such as Yarn or Gulp
- Git (or another modern DVCS like Mercurial)
- Performance budgets and front-end optimisation
- Working with third party APIs
- Object Oriented PHP (particularly with Yii, Symfony or Laravel)
It will help you really stand out if you have:
- Open sourced a project or are an OS contributor
- Familiarity with styleguide-first /modular approaches to front end development
- Experience with client side testing frameworks and CI (we use CircleCI)
What we offer
We treat our employees like the skilled grown-ups that they are. Here’s what we offer in return for your time and attention.
- £35,000 p.a salary.
- Sensible, flexible, family-friendly core working hours.
- The option to regularly work from home or our shared office space in central Nottingham.
- A relaxed working environment based on trust and mutual respect.
- A professional development plan, including:Mentoring from someone who’s “been there, done that”
- Regular reviews of your performance, progress and salary
- A training budget to use for courses, conferences and anything that will help you develop
- 10% time (one day a fortnight) to spend on your professional development
- Time to contribute to open source projects and stay on top of industry best practice
- A shiny new laptop and screen, plus all the software you need to do your best work
- Transparency about that state of our business. Nobody likes secrets. (Currently, we’re doing really well)
- Unlimited holiday allowance, once you’ve completed a 3‑month probation period.
- We’ll take you out for lunch occasionally. Nottingham has some great places to eat these days
- We all go out for drinks (soft or hard) quite regularly too
Other things you should know
This is a full-time, permanent position, based in the UK. Kind is a hybrid workplace, with our team splitting their time between working remotely and in our shared office space in Nottingham. All we ask is for our staff to average one day a month in the office and to be prepared to travel to client meetings when required.
We are an equal opportunities employer and welcome applications from all suitably qualified persons regardless of their race, sex, disability, religion/belief, sexual orientation or age. Our office isn’t wheelchair accessible (it’s on the third floor and there isn’t a lift). If that lack of access would be an issue for you, please don’t be put off applying — we’re very willing to discuss alternative arrangements for suitable interested candidates. Equally, iIf you have any special requirements with travel, we will work with you to take care of these.
No agencies please.