Help us make a big green dent in the universe
We’re on a mission to drive the global renewable energy revolution, and we need loads more people to help us make our vision a reality.
We approach delivery in a highly agile fashion, providing our people with the freedom and autonomy to fix problems and create solutions outside of a fixed project framework. We expect you to have a varied skill set to undertake this role.
You will be supporting the Device Defects Workstream lead, ensuring the correct prioritisation of issues to move towards a BAU operation. The role will include liaising with the Smart Ops team to understand any smart trends they’re noticing and specific issues that require a fix that can be delivered or led by the Workstream area.
Your knowledge of the area will be expected to be at a similar level to the Workstream lead. There will be an expectation that you can cover the lead role when required and can utilise your knowledge to support and explain specific issues to all levels at Octopus. Furthermore you will be expected to apply industry data and updates to support the delivery of solutions and long term fixes.
As well as delivering day to day solutions, you will need a good technical and operational understanding of the energy industry and smart meter rollout; working closely with third party service providers and internal teams from across the business to implement change effectively.
This role is based in Leicester but we would also consider applications for our London office.
What you’ll do
- Work closely with the Workstream lead and utilise the work processes they have implemented
- Lead on specific tasks
- Understand the Tech requirements needed to improve and resolve issues
- Utilise the insight & reporting data to highlight improvements or any decline
- Understand adapter processes and data in relation to areas you’re asked to support
- Be aware of and utilise any industry support e.g. DCC reporting
- Closely track Workstream priorities and industry changes to ensure these are taken in account in delivering improvements
Tasks Specific to your Role
- Identification and ownership of issues Investigate any known industry issues with a current/future resolution
- Raise with relevant parties and define process or any FW solution (liaise with FW lead) to resolve
- Document back office hardware returns process by MAP i.e. triage process and accompanying proof relating to the removed asset
- Build resolution knowledge base for definitive processes for MOPs, Ops and Tech
- Focus on solutions that don’t require a return to siteLiaise with MOP where work at site required to deliver a resolution
- Achieve customer resolution within a reasonable time and minimise PRC where a MEX is required
- Assess incoming devices into portfolio for resolution
What you’ll need
- 2 years experience in a metering or operations role in the electricity or gas industry
- Experience of SMETS2 meters and use of adapter software
- Track record of triaging and resolving smart metering issues
- Proven ability to progress an issue through to resolution
- Ability to locate the underlying cause of an issue and deliver a resolution
- Flexibility to adapt to the priorities of the team
- Equally comfortable working within a team or on an assigned project as an individual
- An operational bias is key, so we’re looking for someone with BA skills but where you have previously done more than just define requirements or project managed in a smart role
- Strong Excel skills and preferably SQL knowledge
If this opportunity sounds like you and you have a genuine passion for what we’re doing at Octopus Energy then we’d love to hear from you.
More about us
We believe energy should be better – for you and the environment.
We believe energy should be better – for you and the environment. We’re a leading energy technology company providing a better experience for our customers through transparency, honesty and simplicity. Better for the planet, through real long-term investment in renewable generation and a low CO2 future. Better value, by throwing away the old business models of the “Big 6” and instead building a business that’s fit for the 21st century. We make energy green and flexible for consumers, with fair and transparent pricing. Through our home developed platform, cloud-based billing, and sophisticated use of data science, modelling and AI, we’re redefining what is possible in energy.
Our breakthrough Agile tariff has been widely reported as leading the way in energy innovation, and we’re passionate about fairness – we were first to uncover the widespread strategy of energy company tease and squeeze pricing and following on from this campaign, our CEO and Founder Greg Jackson presented evidence in favour of capping energy tariff prices before the bill committee in Parliament.
We already supply 100% renewable energy to nearly 2 million homes and over 15,000 businesses (including Arsenal FC and the Cardiff Blues to help them power their stadiums with 100% renewable energy) throughout Great Britain and we’re also the supplier behind M&S Energy. We’re award winning for our disruptive technology and are delighted to be the only energy supplier to pass the rigorous Which? customer service tests and be their only recommended energy supplier for 4 years in a row.
We also proudly enjoy a 5-star TrustPilot ranking from our customers. We were named the Company that’s done the most in the past year to advance UK renewables at the REA Awards 2019, and most recently, our proudest award, that of Best Company to Work For. Our group includes Octopus Energy, Octopus for Business, Kraken Technology, Octopus Electric Vehicles and Octopus Energy Services as well as our new net zero Centre – Octopus Centre for Net Zero.
We recently secured over £500 million of investment from Origin, Australia’s largest Energy Company andTokyo Gas, to help us continue on our mission.
At Octopus, we’re looking for genuinely decent people who are honest and empathetic. Our commitment is to provide equal opportunities, a diverse and inclusive work environment, and fairness for everyone. You are welcome to apply no matter your race, gender identity, sexuality, age, family or civil status, disability, religion, or ethnicity.