Kraken is the technology behind Octopus Energy.
We invented, designed and built Kraken Technologies to ensure that we had the most innovative, data-centric and customer-focused technology to support our top-class customer service. Kraken Technologies now delivers transformational Energy-Tech to businesses around the world to make the global transition to green energy quicker and more affordable.
We’re now licensing Kraken Technologies to businesses globally. You can read about our partnership with E.On HERE as an example to see how Kraken is evolving our business. You can learn more about how the migration works in practice HERE.
Our aim is to have 100 million customers on the Kraken Platform by the year 2030.
Our group includes Octopus Energy, Octopus for Business, Octopus Electric Vehicles and Octopus Energy Services as well as our new net zero Centre – Octopus Centre for Net Zero.
We recently secured over £500 million of investment from Origin, Australia’s largest Energy Company andTokyo Gas, to help us continue our mission. This will help power our growth into new markets, invest in Kraken Technologies, build more tech to make energy greener and increase our investment in service and growth in our existing markets, the UK and Globally.
At Octopus we’ve developed a data platform that provides data services to the business in the UK and our retail energy businesses around the world. The platform enables self-service of data analytics to hundreds of data hungry users as well as automation of all our data workflows from simple ETL jobs to ML training and prediction.
The data platform team works across the whole customer domain on anything from natural language understanding of our customer communications to processing billions of smart meter readings to build customised smart energy tariffs.
As the volume, scope and geographical range of our data services rapidly expand, we’re looking for an experienced data engineer to join the team to help us build and maintain our platform, pipelines and data sources.
This is a fantastic opportunity to work on data problems that genuinely move us closer to Net Zero with a company that is passionate about building great technology to change the way customers use energy.
What you’ll do
- Maintain, optimise, and secure our Kubernetes clusters
- Expand our processes, pipelines and services across different countries and clients
- Monitor our pipelines and services
- Optimize our multi-brand deployments and their infrastructure
- Extend and maintain our services (jupyerhub, airflow, and many internal services)
- Write the tools to help to achieve all the points mentioned above
Our Data Platform Stack
- We employ software engineering best practices to design, test, and deploy our data platform
- Python as our main programming language
- Terraform for our infrastructure definition
- Kubernetes for data services and task orchestration
- Airflow purely for job scheduling and tracking
- Circle CI for continuous deployment
- Parquet and Delta file formats on S3 for data lake storage
- Spark for data processing
- dbt for data modelling
- Presto and SparkSQL for analytics
- Streamlet for data applications
What you’ll have
- First and foremost, we want our devops engineers to have a passion for writing high quality code and build lean processes
- It would be helpful to have experience/expertise in the following (in rough priority order):
- Kubernetes ( EKL)
- Data related products (airflow, jupyter, spark, etc)
- The projects will be varied and we’re looking for someone who can work autonomously and proactively to scope problems and solve and deliver pragmatic solutions
What you’ll love about us
- Our company culture – we won best company to work for in 2019 and our CEO, Greg has recorded a podcast about our culture and how we empower our people
- Flexible working environment – genuine work life balance here, we are in the top 5 companies in the UK, we treat you as a human, and do our best to make work and life merge smoothly together
- Relaxation – we don’t count your holidays here, we work hard, and so we know you need to play hard as well (within reason of course)
- Equity Options Scheme – you own your own part of the business, share options in the whole Octopus Energy Group so we all work together towards success
- Office culture – have a certain tech requirement? We’ll do our best to get it. Our offices are also stocked with fruit, breakfast, great coffee and soft drinks. Weekly on a Friday we all get together (this happens virtually too) for company updates and drinks – we call it Family Dinner
- Social Events – we sponsor YeoValley’s summer festival, valleyfest, every year for our big offsite Summer party (we take our kids too) and we also aim to have 3 parties a year
- Parents – get access to tax free childcare and maternity and paternity pay. We’re always looking for new ways to support parents, during lockdown we created OctoKids TV to help keep your kids occupied and entertained
- Your development is important – we support and help with development including internal and external courses, learning, study support etc, all bespoke to you
- SmartPension Scheme – employer 5% employee 3% and you can contribute more
- Cycle to Work Scheme – to help lower your carbon footprint whilst good for your health
If this sounds like you and you have a genuine passion for what we are doing then we’d love to hear from you.
At Octopus, we’re looking for genuinely decent people who are honest and empathetic. Our commitment is to provide equal opportunities, a diverse and inclusive work environment, and fairness for everyone. You are welcome to apply no matter your race, gender identity, sexuality, age, family or civil status, disability, religion, or ethnicity.