To apply for this job please visit madebykind.com.
Kind are a digital agency with purpose. We focus on delivering strategy-led digital projects for socially-minded businesses, and hopefully making the world a little better at the same time.
We’re on the look out for a designer to join us in building beautiful websites and web applications. You’ll have around five years’ experience (maybe more), a strong creative streak, eye for detail and a keen interest in user experience.
What you’ll be doing
You’ll be working on a variety of digital projects for our growing, socially-client base, as well as on internal projects.
- Working closely with our development team to create beautiful, considered user experiences that work across devices
- Producing wireframes based on information collected during the discovery stages of a project
- Creating moodboards, styletiles and high fidelity mobile-first designs
- Devising and maintaining design systems for our clients to use on all of their online properties
- Making sure we stick to performance, accessibility and design quality standards and processes
- Keeping your eyes and ears open for ways we can refine those same standards and processes
- Taking part in regular design reviews with your peers
- Participating in daily “stand-up” production meetings and monthly company strategic reviews
How we work
We take pride in the way we work. On the design side that means:
- Working closely with our clients rather than just for them
- Understanding and designing for user needs, rather than following trends
- Collaborating with the wider team to deliver great user-experiences
- Using best-practice web design techniques like Mobile-first RWD and prototyping
- Using modern tools like Adobe XD and Figma
We’re looking for someone self-sufficient who takes pride in their work and is always keen to improve it.
You will be great at:
- Ensuring that your designs are meeting user needs at all phases of the project
- Working mobile-first from wireframes to hi-fidelity layouts
- Thinking about how something should work before considering how it should look
- Creating detailed and maintainable design systems for large and complex organisations
- Designing beautiful, usable and extendible user interfaces
- Understanding design considerations for WCAG 2.1 accessibility standards
- Presenting and articulating design rationale both to clients and the Kind team
- Working in unison with other team members to find the best solution to design challenges
It would be great if you also:
- Work with our clients to plan and implement solutions that move them towards their strategic goals
- Help to conduct user research and testing
- Have experience of motion design
- Have experience of identity design and branding
We’re a small team, so we’re also looking for someone who is willing and able to muck in with other stuff when required.
What we offer
We treat our employees like the skilled grown-ups that they are. Here’s what we offer in return for your time and attention.
- £35,000 p.a salary.
- Sensible, flexible, family-friendly core working hours.
- The option to regularly work from home or our shared office space in central Nottingham.
- A relaxed working environment based on trust and mutual respect.
- A professional development plan, including:Mentoring from someone who’s “been there, done that”
- Regular reviews of your performance, progress and salary
- A training budget to use for courses, conferences and anything that will help you develop
- 10% time (one day a fortnight) to spend on your professional development
- Time to contribute to open source projects and stay on top of industry best practice
- A shiny new laptop and screen, plus all the software you need to do your best work
- Transparency about that state of our business. Nobody likes secrets. (Currently, we’re doing really well)
- Unlimited holiday allowance, once you’ve completed a 3‑month probation period.
- We’ll take you out for lunch occasionally. Nottingham has some great places to eat these days
- We all go out for drinks (soft or hard) quite regularly too
Other things you should know
This is a full-time, permanent position, based in the UK. Kind is a hybrid workplace, with our team splitting their time between working remotely and in our shared office space in Nottingham. All we ask is for our staff to average one day a month in the office and to be prepared to travel to client meetings when required.
We are an equal opportunities employer and welcome applications from all suitably qualified persons regardless of their race, sex, disability, religion/belief, sexual orientation or age. Our office isn’t wheelchair accessible (it’s on the third floor and there isn’t a lift). If that lack of access would be an issue for you, please don’t be put off applying — we’re very willing to discuss alternative arrangements for suitable interested candidates. Equally, iIf you have any special requirements with travel, we will work with you to take care of these.
No agencies please.