At Arrival, our team is creating best-in-class electric vehicles using a radical new method of design and production. We work with some of the world’s leading businesses and governments to achieve our goal of redefining mobility and transport ecosystems, transforming how people and goods travel and enhancing urban environments for all communities.
Innovation, rapid development and testing help us to push the boundaries. Our New Method takes our portfolio of patented technologies created in-house, and combines it with assembly in Arrival Microfactories. It’s a groundbreaking approach, leading to products with maximum functionality, peak efficiency, and an elevated experience – at a much more competitive price than other electric vehicles, and even fossil fuel vehicles.
To help us realize all of the above, we are establishing operations at our Design HQ in Kensington, London and we’re in need of an experienced DS engineer to form a core part of our Engineering team. The responsibilities of a DS Engineer is to create THE best packaging solutions for a vehicle ancillaries. The automotive technique of splitting these systems by commodity is not acceptable for Arrival hence the creation of such a role. It is our vision that a single engineer should manage all of the ancillaries (pneumatics, hydraulics, cooling, LV, HV) of the vehicle to ensure a common packaging theme./methodology. This will aid service and manufacture it will support our grid architecture and also be a cost effective solution where clipping and mounting solutions are shared irrespective of commodity.
To be successful as a DS engineer you should have prior packaging and systems integration experiemce and should have delivered a number of projects from initial concept through to production. You should be able to collaborate with team members, and be a strategic problem-solver; ultimately, you should demonstrate excellent communication skills, an ability to connect with a wide range of engineers, and a have a solid understanding of what is required in order to deliver a vehicle programme.
- Design an architecture that ensures multiple commodities can be managed through a common theme.
- Work in partnership with the vehicle architecture, product development, CAE, design execution, and manufacturing teams to challenge and define system requirements.
- Responsible for the delivery and launch of the complete distributed systems ensuring to achieve strict cost and weight targets.
- Work closely with Arrival’s in-house Technology and Materials teams to delivery world beating concepts. Develop external suppliers to ensure the Arrival’s vehicle attributes are class-leading, value-for-money and push the boundaries of your commodity.
- Challenge the status quo; look to alternative sectors for influence and develop new innovative, IP rich concepts within your field.
- A Bachelor’s Engineering degree (Masters of Engineering is desirable) with a strong preference towards Mechanical, Automotive or Aeronautical is required.
- 3+ years delivering complex packaging solutions in ancillaries, powertrain systems or distributed systems
- Previous working experience in automotive design or equivalent industry and developing human-centred and agile processes and methodologies.
- Strong knowledge of vehicle architecture, systems, development and delivery.
- Capable with an array of simulation, CAD and management tools. Siemens NX is Arrival’s chosen CAD software, and all engineers are expected to be capable users, whether for design, interrogation or analysis.
- Broader functional experience (design for manufacturing, R&D, Commercial/Customer Interaction) and knowledge is a plus.
At Arrival we want all of our employees to feel comfortable bringing their passion, creativity and individuality to work. We value all cultures, backgrounds and experiences, as we truly believe that diversity drives innovation. Join our mission to bring better, more sustainable transportation to communities around the world.