The energy industry is undergoing the largest transformation since industrialisation at an unprecedented rate of change and we are positioning ourselves to be at the heart of that change.
Our aim is to be the leading global provider of solutions that enable customers to release £30bn of value per annum from distributed energy resources (DERs). We are building a Software as a Service (SaaS) subscription business with a global addressable market of £2.4 billion per annum, by digitally connecting hundreds of thousands of DERs with energy markets.
We have already attained a market leading position and Upside is a recognised thought leader and innovator in the industry. Our efforts have not gone unnoticed and we are pleased to announce that we now have the full support and backing of Octopus Energy, an award-winning UK energy supplier who share our passion and values.
As we enter the stage of rapid commercialisation and customer account growth we are now looking for an exceptional person to help us work with stakeholders to develop our DSR pipeline. We contract directly with flexibility customers and device owners as well as manufacturers and electricity suppliers, so we are looking for someone with the technical skills in the installation, operation, and maintenance of hardware (some of which is virtualized) at our client sites, working with our technical and commercial teams.
You will be joining a team that is innovative and engineering-focused, with a culture that fosters collaboration, fluidity and the application of fresh and original thinking to the creation of a new energy system. Ideally, you have experience in installing hardware with an electrical engineering focus — but more than any specific experience, the most important criteria for success will be your talent, energy and passion to help build and shape the future within a collaborative, agile, community-based environment.
What you’ll do
- This role will work under the supervision of a senior professional engineer in the design of hardware, software and control solutions to meet specification.
- You will have ownership and leadership of delegated projects/tasks.
- You will research into new and emerging technologies/devices and capture and document detailed requirements. Our current device range includes UPS, batteries, PV systems, heating and cooling systems, and EV’s.
- You will undertake evaluation of potential technical solutions and development of design solutions.
- You will liaise with suppliers and produce detailed technical specifications for procured items.
- You will undertake installation, testing and certification of devices on client sites across the UK, so some travel is expected.
What you’ll need
- Bachelors, Masters, or PhD in Electrical Engineering or similar field
- Proven experience in networked hardware installation and hardware operations support
- Familiarity with one or more of the following: computer programming, command line tools, computer networking, and the Modbus Protocol
- Ability to travel to work with partners, customers and colleagues in other offices (with a clean drivers license)
- Familiarity with hardware product development (Raspberry Pis, Arduinos, etc.)
- A drive to get things done in a collaborative, agile development environment
What you’ll love about us
- Our company culture – we won best company to work for in 2019 and our CEO, Greg has recorded a podcast about our culture and how we empower our people
- Flexible working environment – genuine work life balance here, we are in the top 5 companies in the UK, we treat you as a human, and do our best to make work and life merge smoothly together
- Relaxation – we don’t count your holidays here, we work hard, and so we know you need to play hard as well (within reason of course)
- Equity Options Scheme – you own your own part of the business, share options in the whole Octopus Energy Group so we all work together towards success
- Office culture – have a certain tech requirement? We’ll do our best to get it. Our offices are also stocked with fruit, breakfast, great coffee and soft drinks. Weekly on a Friday we all get together (this happens virtually too) for company updates and drinks – we call it Family Dinner
- Social Events – we sponsor YeoValley’s summer festival, valleyfest, every year for our big offsite Summer party (we take our kids too) and we also aim to have 3 parties a year
- Parents – get access to tax free childcare and maternity and paternity pay. We’re always looking for new ways to support parents, during lockdown we created OctoKids TV to help keep your kids occupied and entertained
- Your development is important – we support and help with development including internal and external courses, learning, study support etc, all bespoke to you
- SmartPension Scheme – employer 5% employee 3% and you can contribute more
- Cycle to Work Scheme – to help lower your carbon footprint whilst good for your health
At Octopus, we’re looking for genuinely decent people who are honest and empathetic. Our commitment is to provide equal opportunities, a diverse and inclusive work environment, and fairness for everyone. You are welcome to apply no matter your race, gender identity, sexuality, age, family or civil status, disability, religion, or ethnicity.