The Electrical Engineer reports to the Head of Engineering and provides support to project teams in relation to electrical engineering. The role shall drive the business towards best practice in design, quality and operations engineering. This will include specifying design requirements and technical specification, reviewing design and execution of works and supporting operational electrical technical and safety issues across the Cubico global portfolio. The Electrical Engineer’s activities are focussed on both corporate business assurance and project support in following areas:
- Development and construction: Support development projects to assess grid connections, suitability and designs to make recommendations for optimisation. Defining and assuring best practice for project delivery in relation to equipment selection, installation and commissioning. Act as technical lead for defining relevant requirements and agreeing scope and specifcation for EPC/supply and install agreement, and operation and maintenance.
- Asset Management: Assist Cubico’s asset management team providing advice and resolutions to electrical safety and asset integrity issues.
- Business Growth: Participate in technical due diligence, identify risk and opportunities related to engineering, asset condition, and operational strategies for potential acquisitions.
- As an electrical engineering subject matter expert drive continuous improvement across the business.
Key Accountabilities include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Develop, implement and maintain management processes, guidance and standards around electrical design, grid connection and HV operations, gaining support and agreement from relevant stakeholders and working collaboratively to ensure adoption across the business.
- Play a lead role in assuring adoption of Cubico’s HV safety protocols, procedures and performance, in collaboration with the HSE, Asset Management and Construction teams.
- Maintain knowledge of current electrical design and technology developments. Support Cubico’s development projects by contributing to major equipment selection, assessing technology risk and opportunity at both corporate and project level.
- Gain an understanding of the grid code and connection process in Cubico’s key markets, and proactively support local teams in securing viable grid connections and meeting grid code requirements.
- Support project pre-construction activities in defining contractor obligations, requirements and technical specifications, reviewing agreements and technical annexes and participating in negotiations (EPC / supply and install & O&M Agreements).
- Review project designs, suitability for site specifics and make recommendations for optimisation, for safe and reliable expected operational life. Support project construction teams on design risk management.
- Support or head up on maintenance agreement scope and requirements and negotiation with contractors as required. Provide technical support to project team interacting with service contractors as appropriate.
- Specify and/ or carry out site audits and inspections, relevant technology reviews, factory visits and component inspections, supporting the local team on follow-up and resolution of identified issues;
- Work with asset managers to identify and implement operational performance improvements and manage projects to resolve defects, equipment failures, establish root cause and recommended remedial actions;
- Carry out site audits, inspections and safety walks to encourage a culture of continuous operational improvement at Cubico.
- Specify due diligence on electrical design, quality, grid compliance and grid connection for potential acquisition projects, including verifying relevant assumptions for the financial model;
- Lead on electrical and grid elements of acquisition due diligence, managing consultants, challenging assumptions, reviewing reports and driving identified issues through to resolution in a timely manner with clear recommendations.
- Member of the Engineering Team reporting to the Head of Engineering.
- Works with the Development and Construction teams.
- Works with regional Asset Management teams.
- Works with Performance Team.
Skills Knowledge and Expertise
The successful candidate will have:
- Degree qualification in electrical or other relevant engineering discipline.
- Demonstrable experience and expertise in electrical engineering gained from working on operating renewable power projects either as asset owner, technical adviser or EPC contractor.
- Depth of knowledge of electrical design and operations.
- Experience in agreeing EPC requirements, reviewing designs and execution of works.
- Experience in TSA negotiation, assessing scope of work, responsibility matriz, main electrical components (switchgear, unit transformer, earthing and lightning protection system).
- Good knowledge and experience of grid codes, connection processes and compliance requirements;
- An ability to understand the technical implications of commercial objectives, identifying the right course of action for long term asset value.
- Problem-solver with the creativity to identify solutions and the drive to implement them.
- Excellent communication skills, including building relationships with colleagues and suppliers in numerous countries and cultures.
- Ability to work under pressure and to deliver quality work to tight deadlines.
- Strong team ethic, thriving in an environment working with project teams in various markets.
- Strong drive for results, setting challenging goals and exceeding them.
- Risk management skills.
- Professional and diligent attitude.
- Fluent English speaker.
- Willingness to travel internationally.
Candidate Advantageous Skills and Competencies
- Knowledge of power convertion technologies.
- Knowledge of battery energy storage technologies and system design considerations.
- Experience in both solar PV and wind energy systems project design.
- Ability to speak a second language.
- Experience of working in a Project based organisation.
The ideal profile of an individual within the Engineering team is open and outward-looking, self-motivated, with well-rounded interpersonal skills and adept at working in different cultures. The candidate will be technically focused with an ability to think independently and demonstrate initiative. While technical experience as described above is required, at least as important is an ability to understand the commercial drivers of the support the team provides, to have a customer-service oriented approach and an ability to coach/ develop others.
Engineering team members are happy working in a flat, flexible team able to support regional and central offices as required and are internationally mobile.
Competitive package and benefits depending on experience.
About Cubico Sustainable Investments
Cubico Sustainable Investments (Cubico), a London-headquartered firm, is one of the world’s leaders in providing renewable energy across the Americas and Europe. Cubico was established in 2015 to manage and invest in renewable energy assets globally. Owned equally by Ontario Teachers’ Pension Plan and PSP Investments, the firm has significant capital to invest and is committed to a long-term growth strategy designed to make it one of the largest and best in class renewable energy investors in the world.
Cubico holds a portfolio of around 4 GW, with assets across the wind, solar PV, solar thermal and transmission line technologies. Covering the whole energy chain from development and construction to operation, the company’s portfolio is located across 12 countries: Brazil, Colombia, Mexico, Uruguay, the United States (USA), France, Greece, Italy, Portugal, Spain, the United Kingdom (UK) and Australia.
Cubico is driven by five core values: diversity, respect, integrity, value creation and excellence, which make up our sixth value, DRIVE. These values encourage employees to take pride and satisfaction in their work, strive to achieve their goals and go the extra mile to attain outstanding results. Cubico’s employees are central to its success and, as a result, the company looks for people who believe in its purpose, will take full account of its impact and are motivated to make a positive contribution to the world.
As part of Cubico culture and values, we embrace diversity and equal opportunity. We are committed to building talented teams that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills. The more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. We particularly encourage applications from under-represented minority groups.