Oxford PV is looking for a talented and motivated Engineer to support activities on the scale up of thin-film coating processes and back-end photovoltaic module processes in view of enhancing perovskite-based devices and modules.
This position will be ideally suited to someone who has previous experience in photovoltaic technology development (silicon, thin film etc.) or related experience in a volume semiconductor environment. The role is initially on the basis of a 15 month fixed term contract.
- Scale-up of thin-film coating processes for photovoltaic devices
- Identification of process defects and their characterisation, and subsequent mitigation
- Process development and ownership, using SPC methods to ensure process control (experience as Process Engineer of thin-film coatings for optoelectronic devices considered a positive)
- Development of module back-end processes
- To work together with cell development team members on the design of photovoltaic architectures, with focus on processes capable of scale-up
- To plan, co-ordinate and analyse device experiments, with a view towards identifying routes to improve device performance, and present reports to project manager and the wider technical team
- Use a systematic approach to device development, focusing on statistically significant findings to ensure reliable decision making
- Characterisation (physical and electrical) and analysis of semiconductor films and devices
- Relate the effect of hardware and process changes to device performance
- Deal independently with supplier or partners
- Ensure tasks are appropriately prioritised and executed according to agreed timelines
- Comply with quality standards including record keeping and health and safety
- Support the work activities of other team members and contribute to multidisciplinary team meetings.
- A post-graduate qualification such as a Masters degree or a PhD in Engineering or Physical Sciences
- An understanding of semiconductor materials and device operation
- Experience in scaling up processes for the coating of thin film active layers within an opto-electronic device
- Ability to plan systematic experiments designed to provide clear conclusions
- Comfortable taking ownership of hardware modifications to improve process performance, device yields and improve tool uptimes
- Proficient in using SPC tools and advanced manufacturing methodologies to monitor equipment performance
- Excellent communication, presentation and written skills
- Strong analytical and diagnostic skills
- Project management skills
- Proactive team player, with the ability to work together with team members on joint experiments and within projects towards joint goals, and capable of establishing strong working relationships within the Oxford PV team and as part of external collaborations.
Salary commensurate with experience.
Standard company hours are 08.30–17.00 Monday to Friday.
This role will be based at our UK site in Yarnton, Oxford, and travel to our Germany facility may be required.
The role would be considered at Associate Engineer level for the right candidate.
We are ideally looking for a start date in early October 2021.
Oxford PV is an Equal Opportunities employer and positively encourages applications from suitably qualified and eligible candidates regardless of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, transgender status, religion or belief, marital status, or pregnancy and maternity.