Arcola Energy is one of the fastest growing hydrogen technology companies in the UK, working with some of the most progressive local authorities, fleet operators and OEMs to meet their zero-emission targets. Arcola has more than 10 years of experience in delivering solutions that address the deployment gap between rapidly evolving low-carbon technologies and production-ready solutions.
Position: Reports to: Location:
Dundee/flexible – the job holder will support programmes in Scotland, England and Europe as well as other international opportunities.
You will manage Arcola’s design team, from concept through to production components – covering fuel cell and battery systems for automotive, off-highway, and stationary applications.
The team’s activities include detailed design, release, and integration of hydrogen fuel cell and electric powertrain components and subsystems. This includes battery systems (from modules to whole packs), structural framing, pipework and harness routing, heating and cooling systems. Reporting to the engineering director, the design manager will be responsible for ensuring that all these meet the highest standards of quality.
- ● Managing and developing team of highly skilled mechanical engineers
- ● Process development for Arcola’s product development model
- ● Creation and ownership of engineering design rules and standards and promoting technical best practices
- ● Checking and approving engineering drawings and releases
- ● Ensuring thorough documentation of design and release process and engineering changes
- ● Interfacing with quality and manufacturing teams to ensure components and products meet quality
- ● Issue investigation using 8D, DMAIC or similar tools
- ● Work with Systems, Electrical and Software teams to support effective whole system design
- ● Ensuring designs meet codes, standards and regulations.
- ● Supporting other Arcola Energy activities where required
- ● The position is based from home with frequent site visits to Arcola facilities in the UK and customer
sites/test facilities as required
Experience and competencies:
- ● Degree in mechanical engineering or other related engineering discipline.
- ● At least 5 years experience in design of mechanical systems (machined, fabricated and cast components)
including application of GD&T and detailed knowledge of BS8888
- ● Experienced in using Solidworks or similar CAD software for solid and surface design, pipe routing and
- ● Experience using a Product Data Management system such as Solidworks PDM
- ● Experience in design for manufacturing, assembly and service
- ● Understanding of general automotive design practices/methods and regulations
- ● Good knowledge of production methods and tooling including working with suppliers to deliver
- ● Experience in managing a team of engineers
- ● Experience in project management and engineering delivery
- ● Desirable: Experience with performing Finite Element Analysis
- ● Desirable: Understanding of electrical systems (batteries, electric machines, inverters, etc).
- ● Willingness to work cross-functionally in the Arcola team
What you’ll receive in return:
- ● Competitive salary, based on experience
- ● Support towards CEng accreditation and your membership fees paid for IET/IMechE
- ● Flexible work arrangements
- ● An opportunity to directly impact projects – from concept through to production
- ● Free tickets to the Arcola Theatre (subject to availability), and Arcola staff discount on food and drink in
Arcola Energy is a privately owned company and offers a truly independent view of one of the fastest growing industries that will lead the road to zero emissions. Our independence also allows us to focus on what we believe in – products which make a positive contribution to society, delivered with total commitment to quality, safety and compliance.
We deliver solutions that significantly improve environmental performance compared to incumbent technologies, contributing to the development of cleaner, greener, more secure, more democratic energy and transport systems, enabling healthier living for everyone.
Arcola Energy is committed to fostering a diverse work environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. As we highly value diversity in our current and future team, we do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender or gender expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, disability or any other characteristic protected by law.
To apply, email email@example.com