Higher Steaks’ mission is to create real meat without harming our health, the planet or animals: we use state-of-the-art cell culture techniques to produce meat of the highest quality. We’re a mission, science and engineering-driven company dedicated to creating the breakthrough technologies that will help address some of the biggest global challenges – how the world is fed, safeguarding our environment and improving animal welfare.
Our team of world experts are passionate, curious, innovative and at the forefront of the work being done in this exciting and rapidly growing sector. We’ve made significant progress over the last two years and expect to close our latest funding round in the next six months. We’re also starting our next major growth phase which means our innovation, development and production capability and processes will continue to accelerate and we will be substantially increasing our headcount – this is a great time to join us!
A particular focus for us is to build our ‘business’ teams and the person we recruit into this role will be our first dedicated finance hire. The finance team will continue to take shape in the coming months, so we have every expectation that this is a role which could convert to permanent and offer long term career progression and development opportunities.
We are willing to consider both full time or part time (3 or 4 days per week) arrangements. Our office, lab and production facilities are in Cambridge and we would want our Finance Administrator to be there at least part of the time, but this position can be part remote.
Our Finance Administrator will take on the responsibility for the day-to-day finances and business admin for the company.
Responsibilities to include (but not limited to):
- Invoicing, PO consolidation and administration of online banking
- Reconciling/analysing credit card and petty cash payments
- Tracking company spending against project and departmental budgets
- Ensuring payments are processed in a timely manner, with appropriate controls and within authorized limits, reconcile discrepancies and deal with invoice and payment queries and unpaid invoices in order to maintain good client/supplier relationships
- Liaising and working effectively with our third-party partner company accountants who currently support a number of our core finance and accounting processes
- Participating in finance meetings, tracking actions
- General business/admin and communications, such as organising contracts with suppliers outside of the laboratory requirements
- Improving financial controls and processes within the business – suggest changes/improvements
- Updating financial records/spreadsheets and maintaining historical records
- Maintaining the company’s integrity by keeping information confidential and complying with Data Protection requirements
- Dealing with ad-hoc requests from colleagues
- Supporting audits and VAT analysis and returns
Alongside the skills and experience to carry out the above Responsibilities, you will have:
- Significant experience with procurement and accounts, including office management, bookkeeping, KPI tracking and preparation of financial reports
- High attention to detail and a strong commitment to quality and consistency
- Good core IT skills and proficiency with standard office software/tech
- A positive ‘can do’ attitude, willing to be flexible and accept new challenges
- The ability to work with a degree of autonomy, solve problems and come up with new ideas and better ways of doing things
- Great relationship-building skills and an ability to work effectively with colleagues from a diverse range of backgrounds and careers
Even better if you also have:
- Experience of preparing quarterly filings and/or monthly performance reports
- Experience of working in a small, fast-growing organisation
- Experience of the Biotech, Pharma, Manufacturing, CPG or other science/technology-led sectors
- A good working knowledge of ordering databases
We welcome applications both from candidates who have an accountancy or other financial qualification, or those who have gained equivalent relevant finance experience in either the private sector or in public or voluntary organisations.
CLOSING DATE FOR APPLICATIONS: 12th SEPTEMBER 2021
- Flexible hours
- Share options
- Quizzes and other fun team activities
- Enhanced parental leave pay
- Cycle-to-work scheme and gym membership
- “Make your work life easier” annual stipend
- Snacks, fruits, coffee and more!
Higher Steaks recruits, employs, trains, compensates and promotes regardless of race, religion, colour, national origin, sex, disability, age, and other protected status as required by applicable law. The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by incumbents assigned to this job. This is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all the functions, responsibilities, duties and skills required for the position, and HigherSteaks Limited retains the discretion to modify.