We launched in 2009 with a mission to change energy for the better. Since then, we’ve welcomed over a million members, planted a million trees, and set our sights on helping save the planet.
As a Group, we’re working to become a net zero carbon business by 2030, while helping our OVO Energy members halve their carbon footprints at the same time.
Green energy and technology are great tools to fight the climate crisis with. But it’s people power that will rewrite history.
So we’re building a zero carbon team inside and out. Of people who share our values, feel inspired by our mission, and want to make change happen. When you work for OVO, it’s not just a job. It’s the work of a lifetime. And we want the sharpest minds to help.
Up for the challenge?
Where in the world of OVO will I be working?
The OVO Group’s mission is to drive progress towards net zero carbon living. To reach zero, we need everyone to come together. Not as customers buying energy, but as members with a common goal. OVO Metering is at the heart of bringing Britain’s energy system into the 21st Century. Field Operations is an integral part in creating a smart energy system which will mean that our energy networks are run in a completely new way.
What will I be doing?
As Fleet Manager you will be a key member of the wider Field Operations leadership team, reporting directly to the Senior Supply Chain Manager. You will be responsible for the day to day running of the fleet to enable the running of an efficient and effective operation. A proven team motivator who can manage others and lead by example, providing the fleet in a flexible manner in line with our values. You will manage third-party providers as well as inspire your own team to provide a progressive effective fleet that is available within the boundaries of the budgets available. You’ll be balancing the demands of providing services to keep Field Operations running whilst ensuring the best value is secured. Your contribution to our Plan Zero aims means you will need to be comfortable driving collaboration with external stakeholders and seizing opportunities to embrace technology that ensures we have the safest, most efficient and reliable fleet in Great Britain.
- Anticipate and respond to changes in legislation that impact the fleet. You’ll lead the fleet function across OVO, in relation to both statutory legislation and company policy whilst ensuring that there are no material audit issues and the principles of good customer service are maintained.
- Identify and mitigate risks, ensuring good communication (drivers, managers, service providers etc.). Maintain your general knowledge of the type of vehicles in the fleet and their benefits and uses.
- Responsible for running cost and programme budgets, ensuring adherence to the budget, identifying and driving more value from our fleet, ongoing monitoring of expenditure against budget with commentary to explain variances and ensuring the appropriate documentation is available for scrutiny.
- Build professional relationships with Finance and HR with regards to agreeing policy and write business cases that justify the acquisition and disposal of the fleet.
- Represent Field Operations at professional networks and forums and use established networks to assess the fleet service against external benchmarks, driving excellence in delivery.
- Working closely with leaders across Field Operations to provide subject matter expertise on all discussions that might impact fleet, supporting the testing and implementation of new ideas, continuous improvement initiatives and strategic changes (i.e. integration)
- You’ll be responsible for overseeing delivery of our Plan Zero aims, where it relates to the fleet. Working across Field Operations to adapt and mitigate its environmental impact and taking forward actions set out in the OVO Plan Zero strategy. Reporting on progress against key sustainability metrics, Including progress against goals. You’ll be expected to represent Field Operations in discussions on sustainable development and carbon free living.
- You’ll drive and influence change within Supply Chain (i.e. New Ways of Working, Agility, etc.) to achieve common policies across Field Operations. You will make recommendations to the Senior Leadership Team where opportunities are identified and continuously look to streamline processes to improve efficiencies and reduce the impact our fleet has on the environment.
- On behalf of the Field Operations Director, you will ensure compliance and management of statutory obligations. Responsible for all aspects of Health and Safety monitoring and reporting with regards the use of fleet vehicles, driver behaviour and root-case analysis of incidents & accidents. You’ll form effective working engagement with Team Managers and Regional Performance Managers to ensure there is a focus on driving up standards and reducing road risk.
- Manage, build and motivate the fleet team, ensuring day to day operational management. Apply your knowledge and experience to motivate and develop the teams in line with business needs such as resilience as well as providing learning opportunities. Provide line management and development for your direct reports, deploying coaching/mentoring techniques to members of the teams and identifying employees for further development.
- Through your team, ensure service delivery across the Fleet. Be visible at all levels, across Field Operations, balancing the desires of operational staff against effective budget management and assist in resolving problems.
- Regularly review and set performance objectives and plans ensuring policies are up to date and communicated. Embed controls that continually support the priorities of Field Operations whilst achieving best possible value and the lowest possible administrative cost showing good budget management skills.
- Seek out opportunities to gain external recognition of good practice and be the main point of contact during audits, assessments and business reviews relating to the fleet.
Is this the job for me?
Essential skills and experience:
- Demonstrable experience in managing a fleet team in a proactive and empowering manner
- Demonstrable experience in managing budgets
- Excellent negotiating/influencing skills (internal and external)
- Experienced in working in a fleet/transport environment with electric vehicles
- Demonstrable experience in managing change
- Effective tasking experience
- Excellent Health and Safety knowledge applicable to the fleet area including fuel, understanding of legislation surrounding fleet i.e. tyre depth, retroreflective equipment, lighting, etc.
- Awareness of general risk management issues and methodologies
Ideally you’ll have…
- Sound knowledge of smart metering would be an advantage.
- Lean Management
From us you’ll get*
- An annual discretionary bonus
- 4% of your salary to spend on flexible lifestyle benefits
- 5% matched employer contribution to your pension
- 25 days holiday + 1 for your birthday
- And many more…
(*) Please note that certain benefits kick-in once you have passed probation which can be up to 6 months after your start date.
We want the best people
At OVO, we empower our people to have choice around where and when they work – flexible working arrangements can be discussed for all of our roles. Please speak to the Talent Acquisition team for more info.
We’re keen to meet people with varied backgrounds – our view is the more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. We want to build teams which represent a variety of experiences, perspectives and skills, and we recognise talent on the basis of merit and potential.
We understand some people may not apply for jobs unless they tick every box. If you’re excited about joining us and think you have much of what we’re looking for, even if you’re not 100% sure… we’d love to hear from you.
Please mention For Purpose Jobs in your application