Our vision is to restore our planet by empowering everyone to make informed climate decisions through Earth Science AI.
We’re seeking an ambitious and solution-oriented Flood Modeller to join our team at an exciting time for our business. You’ll be critical in building the flood modelling capabilities of Cervest and educating others in the Science Team and the rest of the company on the benefits and the limitations of various datasets and modelling approaches. You’ll be doing this work alongside members of the Science Team, and engineers, designers, and product managers outside the team, to deliver a cutting-edge and scientifically robust product.
You will join a diverse set of scientists and engineers in the Science Team, whose backgrounds range from statistics, through physics and climate science, to remote sensing. You’ll build solid, well-engineered flood modelling pipelines that work at scale but retain their reproducibility and transparency to give confidence in your results. You will read up on the latest scientific literature to inform your modelling approaches, but will also ensure that your approach is pragmatic and aligned with stakeholder requirements. You’ll coordinate with other teams to ensure that your outputs, timelines, and expectations are aligned, as well as educating them on scientific topics and concepts, in particular flood modelling.
The role offers a unique opportunity to join an early-stage, highly mission-driven team where you’ll have the ability to make a significant impact on our company and our users.
We are a pro-diversity company and passionate about bringing together people of all backgrounds, because we know that a diverse team will help us achieve our mission sooner.
As a Flood Modeller at Cervest, you will:
- Build and improve our flood modelling pipeline, for both riverine and coastal flooding, including in-house components and third-party integrations.
- Write clean, easy-to-understand code.
- Teach the team members how to use complex flood modelling software.
- Communicate complex scientific concepts simply but non-reductively to other teams and clients.
- Collaborate with designers and engineers to ensure that Science Team output is incorporated into the product as smoothly and pragmatically as possible.
- Read and discuss scientific papers to understand the current state-of-the-art for relevant modelling tasks, and attempt to replicate those papers where appropriate.
The interview process for this role will be approximately 4-5 hours in total (which we accommodate as much as possible around your obligations), comprising interviews with 3-4 Cervest representatives across the organisation, and a technical challenge which will be sent out to you to complete in your own time.
- Flood modelling background, with industry experience.
- Good understanding of both empirical and hydrodynamic flood models.
- Good scientific communication skills, able to explain technical concepts to a non-technical audience.
- Knowledge and understanding of current state-of-the-art in pre-computed flooding datasets.
- Pragmatic approach to problem solving.
- Solid software engineering skills.
- Experience with Python.
Bonus points for:
- Experience using climate simulations to drive flood models.
- Experience with Julia.
- Familiarity with available public and private flood maps, such as the World Resources Institute’s Aqueduct product
Salary – £400-600 / day (dependent on experience) or local equivalent
Opportunities to learn, grow and thrive with support from talented and empathetic team mates
We are a remote first company and looking for candidates who would be able to come to our office in London (once travel is sensible) a few times a year using more sustainable transport methods (we’ll help with that) so generally within one time zone of the UK.
Fuller list of benefits on our main career page – we’re an early stage startup and currently reviewing our benefits in light of becoming a remote-first company. We are committed to ensuring that we support our team in developing in line with their aspirations and talents as well as continuing to develop our culture in line with our values