We are re-engineering the laundry process from the ground up; our aim is for clinically-clean, net-zero carbon emissions for the whole process, from the collection, through washing and back to delivery. This has never been accomplished and we are determined to be the first truly sustainable and hygienic on-demand laundry company in the world. We don’t want to brag, but we did win the “Best Global Practice” award in 2020 for our service.
The Oxwash engineering team are looking for a frontend engineer to work on React and/or React Native codebases. Our frontend software is what lets customers arrange the collection and delivery of their laundry, and helps our team deliver clinically-clean and delightful efficient cleaning. By owning our frontend software, we can create a uniquely data-driven and socially responsible business.
We need someone who can work across a number of frontend projects to help us deliver an excellent user experience to our team and customers. These are relatively new projects, so this is an excellent opportunity to help craft and architect frontend software from the ground up.
We are redesigning our current web and mobile apps for a more unified and cohesive user and developer experience. React and React Native are an obvious choice for this – allowing our engineers to move between different codebases, with relative ease.
We don’t expect you to have a perfect knowledge of both React and React Native (though that would obviously be excellent), but we’re looking for someone with production experience of at least one of them. You absolutely must care about creating sensible, human-first user experiences (UX) and interfaces (UI). This doesn’t mean flat-illustrations and neumorphism everywhere – we’re designing for real people, not Dribbble.
Experience prototyping UIs with Figma, and using or managing a Design System in code are excellent add-ons. We are also working on refactoring our existing full-stack software, currently on the MEAN (Mongo, Express, Angular, Node) stack, so any relevant full-stack experience is a massive plus! We see learning and improving as core parts of our careers, and also the software process, so more than any of these specific skills, we’d love someone who’s teachable and willing to teach.
You would join a small, friendly, and passionate engineering team and will be able to shape the future of Oxwash. We’re looking for someone who can help us build an intuitive, usable, and stable user experience across our platforms.
This is largely a remote role, however we are trying to work together with other Oxwash teams in one of our ‘Lagoons’ (our dry and wet-cleaning hubs, where the magic happens) once or twice a week, when it is safe and responsible to do so. We currently have Lagoons in London, Cambridge, and Oxford.
Technologies you will work with
We don’t expect you to have a flawless knowledge of every part of our software stack. You would need to consider yourself to have a good knowledge of a couple of these technologies, and at least an awareness of everything else. As a young company, our software is evolving fast – so it’s more important that you’re not afraid to try and pick things up quickly.
- Frameworks & libraries: ReactJS, React Native, Expo, Angular (v2+), Jest
- Data & Server: RESTful API use and design, GraphQL, Express, Node, Open API (Swagger)
- UI Libraries: Chakra UI, Material UI, Emotion, Styled Components,
- Prototyping: Figma, Sketch
- Databases: MongoDB, Postgres
Challenges you’ll be working on
- Building React web apps for both internal use, e.g. dashboards and admin interfaces, and customer-facing sites, e.g. for placing orders.
- Client-facing React Native apps (iOS and Android) for customers to place orders
- Creating a consistent, reusable, and composable Design System for use across our software
- Building a reliable and solid set of tests (unit, integration, and end-to-end) in both the web and mobile codebases.
- Helping build an event and data-driven understanding of our business.
- Sharing your knowledge, and mentoring other engineers in the team
What you’ll need to be successful in the role
- You care about software engineering and see it as craft.
- You care about delivering a good user experience to every user.
- You are somebody who isn’t afraid to voice their opinion, and are always willing to listen to others
- You are able to communicate effectively with engineers across different points in the software stack.
- You have experience developing modern, sometimes complex, web or mobile applications in any programming language or framework,
- You have an interest in working with modern web software, including TypeScript
- You like learning new things
Our Interview Process
We want to build a sensible and human interview process at Oxwash. We’ll never ask you brainteasers, we don’t do any whiteboard problem solving, and we’re not going to demand you spend hours on a homework activity. If you have any commitments, professional or personal, which you would like us to accommodate – we are completely able to do so.
- Introductory phone call with our Head of Technology, so we can learn more about each other (30-60 minutes)
- A remote, e.g. Google Hangouts, technical interview with Head of Technology and one of the development team. You will not need to prepare anything for this interview, we’ll work together to understand and refactor part of our codebase. This is a great time to ask any more strategic questions. (90 minutes)
- If safe and possible, a face to face chat with the CEO and the other members of the engineering teams, and a tour of one of our Lagoons (one of our washing hubs).
- We extend a Job Offer, if we think there’s a good fit between us!
- Yearly conference budget (online for now, in-person when that’s possible)
- Free personal laundry, it’s important you know the Oxwash service!
- Free mental health support and counselling, provided by Spill (https://www.spill.chat/)
- Participating in one of the world’s best accelerator programs (Founders Factory) and with networks with others around the world (YC, OXFO L.E.V8, etc.)
- An enhanced sickness policy, and parental leave
- Share options available
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. This job description is intended to convey