Bulb is an energy management company and a Tech company. Our mission is to reduce bills and lower carbon emissions. Over 1.7 million people in the UK are now Bulb members, and we recently launched in France, Spain and the US (Texas). We’re also a certified B Corporation. People, planet and profit are our priorities, that’s why we believe the best way to deliver our mission and to have an impact is to be an effective and competitive organisation.
As a Software Engineer, you’ll join a team and play a key role in contributing to Bulb’s wider goals and helping our members (by the way, we refer to our customers as members). You could be developing new products for members with smart meters or electrical vehicles; improving customer experience to better serve our members; making it easier to understand energy usage, be greener and save money.
You’ll help Bulb grow quickly by leveraging your knowledge and technology. At Bulb we value empathetic, collaborative people who are always looking to improve our products and processes. We like to act quickly and improve our products by using data and insights gained from our members’ experience using our services. You’ll also have the opportunity to contribute to Bulb’s wider product and engineering culture. That could be delivering a talk in our monthly ‘Making Bulb’ meet up, contributing to Bulb’s Solar Design System, or something new, surprise us!
What you’ll do
• Build and shape Bulb products using our modern tech stack
• Take ownership of projects including planning, delivery, and technical decisions
• You’ll work closely with your team throughout the project, as you work together to deliver and improve it as you go
• Gather requirements and interact with designers, operations, energy specialists
• Use data to guide product and engineering decisions to focus on what matters most
• Learn about new technologies, the energy industry and member service
Who you are
• You collaborate well with others, you’re curious, ask questions and love learning
• Comfortable in an agile and fast changing environment
• Care about what you do, Bulb’s mission, the code you write, the products you ship
• Want to make an impact by helping our members and the planet
• Love technology and making things better
Our Tech Stack
At Bulb, we’re building technical solutions for our 1.7 million members worldwide. This means we’re always considering how our products and services will work at scale. We also ensure our products are built with high standards in mind. This is our current stack:
We’d like to highlight this is not a list of requirements and we encourage you to apply regardless. However, you should have an interest in learning about it.
• NodeJS, TypeScript
• React and React Native, GraphQL on the front-end
• Google Cloud Platform (Google Kubernetes Engine, Big Query, Google PubSub)
• Postgres, MySQL
• Docker, CircleCI, Argo
Perks at Bulb
Life at Bulb comes with many perks. On top of being part of a friendly and dynamic environment, you’ll get:
• 12 weeks of full pay for maternity, paternity or adoption leave
• Competitive salary, discretionary share options and bonus
• 33 days holiday a year (including bank holidays) and the option to buy up to 5 more
• Healthcare with Vitality after passing probation, life insurance, and a pension plan with employer contributions
• One month sabbatical leave after your first year
• Visa sponsorship and relocation allowance
We’re working remotely to protect our team during the coronavirus pandemic. This role is based in our London office, but we’re open to distributed working (with ad-hoc meetings in London once lockdown restrictions have eased).
We’re building a diverse, inclusive team
You’re welcome at Bulb wherever you’re from and whoever you are. We want to shake up the energy industry, and a diverse team that reflects our members will help us do just that. We know that sometimes, people don’t apply for a job because they don’t have every single skill listed in the job’s requirements. But there’s more to every role – and everyone at Bulb – than we can fit in a job description. So if you’re interested in a role here and believe you could be a good fit, we encourage you to apply. Even if you’re not ready now, if you’re invited to interview with us you’ll get feedback on the skills you should grow to become a candidate in the future. We’ve written more about building a diverse team on the Bulb blog.