To apply for this job please visit res-group.csod.com.
We are searching for an experienced Grid Engineer to be based at any of our UK&I offices.
Do you want to work to make Power for Good?
We’re the world’s largest independent renewable energy company. We’re driven by a simple yet powerful vision: to create a future where everyone has access to affordable, zero carbon energy.
We know that achieving our ambitions would be impossible without our people. Because we’re tackling some of the world’s toughest problems, we need the very best people to help us. They’re our most important asset so that’s why we continually invest in them.
RES is a family with a diverse workforce, and we are dedicated to the personal professional growth of our people, no matter what stage of their career they’re at. We can promise you rewarding work which makes a real impact, the chance to learn from inspiring colleagues from across a growing, global network and opportunities to grow personally and professionally.
Our competitive package offers rewards and benefits including pension schemes, flexible working, and top-down emphasis on better work-life balance. We also offer private healthcare, discounted green travel, 25 days holiday with options to buy/sell days, enhanced family leave and four volunteering days per year so you can make an impact somewhere else.
Job Purpose/Summary Details
Cost effective grid connections are an increasingly critical factor in the successful development of all of our projects.
The Grid Engineer works within one of the wind, solar or storage development teams and is responsible for identifying optimum grid connection solutions, securing grid connection agreements and assisting in managing associated financial liabilities. They need to manage the contestable grid connection design process in respect of contestable grid connection works. Grid Engineers need to build / manage good relationships with the relevant grid companies, liaising and challenging where appropriate to identify the optimum solutions.
The Grid Engineer manages delivery of the electrical engineering support on project electrical balance of plant in the pre-consent stage of a project. This includes advice to enable production of planning application drawings, preliminary interconnection route assessment and development of a robust economic model. They provide support through the detailed design and construction phase in relation to grid connection and grid code compliance to ensure a timely energisation. Where required, Grid Engineers will also provide support to operating projects through the Support Services team as part of grid trouble shooting and third party adoption.
- Line managed by a Project Manager in one of the wind, solar or storage development teams.
- For project matters: reports to a New Sites Manager or Development Project Manager during the pre-consent phases, a Project Manager in the Post Consent Phase and to a Construction Project Manager during the project construction phase.
- Procure specialist services from within the company or externally as appropriate in order to secure detailed electrical design elements (where required in the pre-consent phase) and specialist grid studies.
- Interface with the project Electrical Design Engineer and Scada Engineer during the detailed design and construction phase.
- Carry out grid connection feasibility studies for new sites and provide grid input into new site search activities as required.
- Identify optimum grid connection solutions taking into account operational factors such as grid use of system charging, loss adjustments and grid related constraint / curtailment.
- Secure grid connection agreements (or modifications) aligned with the project strategy.
- Negotiate grid technical requirements and preparation of contract documents.
- Identify and track grid liabilities, provide advice on connection agreement strategies to help manage risk exposure.
- Prepare executive approval memo’s for entering grid agreements and/or securing an increase in liabilities.
- Grid company relationship management.
- Advise on project substation grid equipment layout for planning applications and environmental impact assessment reports.
- Provide advice on interconnection options including ICP and private wire options.
- Provide robust information on grid connection costs and substation equipment for project financial models.
- Manage ICP design process in relation to contestable connection works including the planning / co-ordinating of multidisciplinary inputs and interface with the DNO including DNO design approval.
- Deliver grid compliance (including EON, ION, FON) to enable timely energisation and operation of the project.
- Advise on the procurement of specialist electrical engineering e.g. grid code compliance design solutions and specialist studies.
- Where required, provide support to operating projects through the Support Services team as part of grid trouble shooting and third party adoption
- Knowledge of power systems up to 33kV and above in a power generation environment.
- Knowledge of grid technical connection requirements and commercial policies.
- Understanding of commercial project requirements and priorities.
- Ability to suggest alternative (more costs effective or timely) grid connection solutions and to negotiate with external grid companies.
- Commercial awareness relating to contract compliance, cost control and relative value of engineering solutions.
- Project planning and management in order to align key grid milestones with wider project delivery.
- Presentation skills to technical and non-technical audiences – written and verbal.
- Attention to detail during preparation and review of design deliverables.
- Experience in the installation, testing, commissioning and operation of power generation systems and other electrical engineering works.
- Degree/HND/HNC in Electrical Engineering or related subject
Our company provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics.