We harness the power of food to make life-changing dining experiences for our customers, and life-changing support programmes for our trainees.
We run events, catering and excitingly are about to open a beautiful new site in between Pimlino and Chelsea. We also provide in-hostel catering training bootcamps to create a framework through which participants can overcome the financial barriers preventing them from moving into rented accommodation, whilst gaining valuable work experience, and giving them the confidence to challenge the perception of homelessness.
Fat Macy’s combines excellent food with social enterprise expertise – creating a unique model that not only serves delicious food to Londoners, but constructs a much-needed pathway from hostel to home for our trainees.
Founded in 2016, we have already been recognised by the Beyond Business programme in partnership with Investec bank, the Esmée Fairbairn Foundation, the Shackleton Leaders award, UnLtd and O2 Think Big. Our work has been featured by the BBC, the New Statesman, VICE and
We’re looking for a Head Chef – someone with the vision and expertise to take Fat Macy’s to the next level. We need a committed, enthusiastic chef, looking for an exciting new role in an expanding social business into this fantastic new site. You’ll be involved in every aspect of the food business, while also providing training and support to our Trainees.
About the role
As Head Chef, the role will be varied and changing, as we consider the current climate, and what offerings will work best in the space. You will initially be working on our procedures and processes, helping the team to become productive while establishing ways of working to allow us to thrive. You will work closely with the CEO and Culinary Director to build the systems as we grow over the coming years, for both the business and charity arm.
On the food side, you will:
● Be able to lead a multi-site team.
● Be able to create systems to “carbon copy” the concept for easy expansion.
● Work closely with the each site to streamline processes and improve consistency
● Menu engineering and development to maintain high GP’s, low wastage and improving average spend per head.
● “Measure and Maintain” low labour costs and set targets for the team
● Streamline in-house “central production” to ensure consistency of recipe production
● Measure and manage the success of each site
● Working with and reporting to Directors and managers on progressions of systems and changes.. There is scope to take a large responsibility in some of the event management – ensuring the smooth planning, delivery and follow up on all external catering events and supper clubs.
Initial areas you’ll be working on
Building up a menu for the site
● Fat Macy’s has been running for nearly five years, and we have hosted a range of supper clubs, catering events and lunches across London. You will be responsible for building the food brand from our sole catering offering to delivering eat in and take out options across our sites in Pimlico and Shoreditch.
● This role comes with huge potential for creativity and change – we want someone with the vision and expertise to take Fat Macy’s to the next level. You will be self-starting, and always looking for the next opportunity.
● You will expand the catering arm of the business – we’re gaining a reputation for being one of London’s top social enterprise caterers.
● As Head Chef, you’ll oversee every aspect of the food business – from prep, to event delivery, and everything in between.
● With your food knowledge and contacts, you’ll help forge partnerships in the food industry to provide work placements, job opportunities and further training for our Trainees.
Food operations and business development
● Suppliers: Fat Macy’s aims to embed its ethos and mission into every area of the business. We want to create a truly social business: finding local, ethical food suppliers for every step of our supply chain. From social enterprise bakeries, to sustainably sourced fish, through to napkins and crockery, your mission will be to assist the Culinary Director in making the right choices both for the business, and the planet.
● From orders to stock, to keeping track of budgets, you’ll work with the Culinary Director to ensure we always have the stock we need, keep the finances healthy and budgets are in order.
Training and development
● Fat Macy’s exists to provide a pathway from hostel to home. A large part of what we do is training young people living in homeless hostels and temporary accommodation across London. With a passion for training up the next generation to join the hospitality and catering ranks, you’ll take the lead on the food training in our Training Bootcamps.
● Service design – testing different elements of training and building the most effective training platform.
● You’ll support our trainees with their training – acting as a supportive mentor as they complete their traineeship at Fat Macy’s events and beyond.
What we can offer you
● The opportunity to make the food side of the business your own – bringing creativity and your own touch to shape the role and business.
● An incredible learning experience working within an impactful social enterprise that addresses one of the biggest issues facing the UK
● Excellent opportunities for progressions within an exciting and growing team
● Scope to take real ownership in a fast-growing startup
● 25 days paid annual leave per year, plus your birthday
The ideal persona:
● A trained chef, you’ll be passionate about everything food.
● You’ll have worked with a range of great people in the food industry, and have a real passion for the food industry.
● You’ll have a real enthusiasm for making London a better place through food. You enjoy working with Londoners of all walks of life, and will mentor and support them in their journey with Fat Macy’s.
● You’re organised, hard working and have excellent attention to detail.
● We need team players – you’ll be ambitious but can listen, and work well with others.
● Passion for social change, homelessness and food.
● Interest/experience in one or all of: training and education, early stage startups, homelessness, food delivery, business development, community building
● Experience of food photography, food social media and/or PR
Key role information
Salary: 26k-29k depending on experience
Hours: 50 per week
Location: Pimlico, London, UK
Start: End of November/ Dec 2020