About Common Seas
Common Seas is a social enterprise on a mission to quickly and significantly reduce the amount of plastic waste produced and stop it polluting rivers and seas. Having established ourselves as both a global thought leader and a highly practical actor in the plastic pollution space, we are now at an extremely exciting growth stage – and need someone special to jump aboard.
Who we’re looking for
We are recruiting a Head of Comms and Marketing to develop, coordinate and implement an ambitious and creative communications strategy. Working with our leadership, comms and in-country teams, you will put Common Seas on the map, positioning us as an exciting, trusted, practical pioneer in the plastic pollution space. You will have extensive experience in the environmental or social justice sector and be able to demonstrate an in-depth and nuanced understanding of the scale of the challenges our world faces.
A seasoned media and communications professional, you will draw on your vast experience to help our organisation grow and keep delivering impact in line with our objectives. You’ll balance big-picture strategic thinking with highly effective and efficient tactical execution; a creative and entrepreneurial soul that’s tempered by a love of project management and facilitation – you are known for getting things done.
You will have proven experience in branding, marketing (identifying and acquiring growth opportunities) strategic communications (digital, social and content marketing), behaviour change campaigns (storytelling and public relations) and delivering complex international projects – on time, to budget and in good spirits. You’ll be happy to work remotely most of the time, but you’ll live in the southwest of the UK so you can regularly get in the same room as our core team.
You are a practical, dynamic and hands-on leader who excels at holding processes and coordinating teams. You’re a dynamic, upbeat digital native who tells a compelling story. You lead by example with accountability and high emotional intelligence. You have a personal passion for sustainability and/or social issues.
Why Common Seas
We are a young and rapidly growing company: you will shape your role as Common Seas develops and grows. As well as our UK team, we have local teams in Greece, the Maldives and Indonesia. Through our partners and programmes, we are connected to an exciting and influential network of teammates, funders, private sector, public sector and international organisations.
We offer competitive compensation and benefits, a flexible work environment with travel to project sites, and support for personal development, including regular talks from leading experts and continuous training/learning experiences.
Job specification & skills
Comms & marketing strategy
- Develop and oversee implementation of our marketing and comms strategy, which includes identifying marketing, fundraising and growth opportunities.
- Set clear organisational, programme and campaign objectives & KPIs, and measure and monitor progress towards them.
- Responsible for Comms and Marketing budget.
- Work closely with leadership team, including CEO, Director of Programmes and Chief Operating Officer.
- Coordinate, streamline and project manage all comms and marketing across organisational and country-level teams.
- Manage multiple projects and campaigns and respond to emerging priorities.
- Work with external marketing and comms resource, including press and public relations.
- Organisational powerhouse – keeping your team up to speed on tasks and due dates, ensuring project plans stay on track.
- Develop and improve our project management systems – or manage the outsourcing of this.
- Facilitation – convening team members and other stakeholders, and creating consensus.
Brand, content & campaigns
- Spearhead the development of creative communications of systems thinking.
- Oversee design and production of content and campaigns – from ideation to strategy, implementation and review.
- Support our team to deliver world-changing creative, while providing consistent direction and quality control.
- Strong creative sense – know what’s good design and copy (and be able to feedback in line with this).
Management and people
- Develop skills across our core and in country teams (content, copy and design).
- Develop creative process and support comms team to create their best possible work.
- Identify any bottlenecks in resource and recruit accordingly.
- Manage recruitment within core comms function.
How to apply:
If you think this sounds like the perfect role for you, please send a copy of your CV and a one-page cover letter to email@example.com by 22nd October 2021. Please title your email: JOB: Marketing.
In the letter, please outline your suitability for the job and when you’d be available to start.
Applications to be received by midnight, 22nd October 2021